Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yes. VERY FAKE. HORRIBLY fake. And I do enjoy the season. See my status? I love the Winter Season. My favorite. Nothing to do with "Christmas" but the atmosphere.

But...but....you said that you don't understand how atheists can enjoy. "Now how do you atheists treat your children now or in the past? I really wonder how people deal with Santa when they can't believe in Christ. How about it? "

and "This evening I was working and listening to Christmas music and got hit by the fact that I wonder how atheists and others who don't care at all about Christmas react to it."

You expect me to enjoy by your standards? Please. Relax? Please. I have got three finals on Monday and have worked 16 hours this weekend. Working 9 more tomorrow.
My mother was a very caring, Christian lady and she taught me about the season as Christians see it from the Bible. I don't think I will soon learn to disbelieve that she instilled in me from a very young age.

Hey, I am not trying to change you or your beliefs. I am just trying to find out how others feel about the season. Just thinking. My last undergrad finals were almost 56 years ago next spring. It is very good to get the things over with but tough getting up to them.

Have a good Winter Solstice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah? So why would God pick you or your son? Why not protect all the people who believe in Him?
I believe that he has a reason for allowing some to survive while not others. I do not try to reason why, though, because that would be stupid in my opinion.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
We went on vacation last week and heard lots of Christmas music on the car radio, but very little Christian Christmas music. It was mostly generic type songs that had very little meaning. I remember when we used to get to hear many more meaningful songs on the radio this time of year. Our nation is really in a sad state with senators selling their votes, which used to be illegal for voters to do and no one acknowledging what Christmas is really about.

If it were not for the hope I have in Jesus Christ, I could become really sad. He is the reason for the season and I love Christmas music, even the generic kind.

There are several threads on this website about which state is happiest. I read a little further and found one of the reasons people are happy is when they give to others. Maybe that is why Christmas is such a happy time.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
My mother was a very caring, Christian lady and she taught me about the season as Christians see it from the Bible. I don't think I will soon learn to disbelieve that she instilled in me from a very young age.

Hey, I am not trying to change you or your beliefs. I am just trying to find out how others feel about the season. Just thinking. My last undergrad finals were almost 56 years ago next spring. It is very good to get the things over with but tough getting up to them.

Have a good Winter Solstice.
Your OP came across very trollish to be honest with you.

Especially the part with how Atheists and other people who do not care about Christmas. Just because we do not care about the day where people *think* (not know) that Jesus was born does not mean we treat our kids badly.

I do not hate "Christmas" music. I work at Best Buy. It is blasting in my ears the entire time and for all these hours I have worked this weekend and will tomorrow.

I was raised to be a believer of God through Sikhism. My parents are Sikh. They taught me to pray to God and love Him and all that. I tried. No response. I went through a religious search. I found Wicca (like Pagansim) and found it to be VERY beautiful. I felt a connection with the Goddess there. But one day, something just hit me. I cannot explain it to this day. There is no God. There is no Goddess. I tried again recently because for religions class, we had to pick a religion. I picked Christianity. I went to a Church for the first time in my life last month. I found it interesting and agreed with most of what the Church said. I found peace with the art showing Jesus Christ and completely loved the stories they told us of Jesus. I tried again. No response. No connection to God. I tried hard. Prayed. Had a pastor pray for me. My Christian friends and people on this forum.

This is why I am Agnostic but leaning Atheist.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
This is one of my all-time, very favorite Christmas songs. Thanks for posting the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

What is so funny here is the general nastiness that you get from this post. Why would anybody want to be a Christian after reading such crap? On Christmas no less? Anybody else hear see the irony?
Oo, Oo, Mr. Kotter, pick me, pick me! I'm also curious what on earth Santa has to do with Jesus.

Though, unlike you, I actually love Christmas music, even the Jesusy stuff. "Mary Did You Know" is another much loved favorite of mine. And I'm worse than an atheist, I'm a Jew!

I'm betting you'd probably love the Christmas CD my husband and I have had on repeat most of the day today -- Elliott Yamin's My Kind of Holiday. Two of our favs are Back Door Santa (though he cleaned up the words just a bit. ) and Christmas Without Carol. Let's Be Naughty (And Save Santa the Trip) is also kind of fun.

Merry Christmas, ya big Scrooge!

Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
I believe that he has a reason for allowing some to survive while not others. I do not try to reason why, though, because that would be stupid in my opinion.
We are having a hard time with that one lately. My son and his wife recently lost a friend who was about 35 years old. He left behind a mother, father in bad health, a wife and a three and a nine year old children. I know we shouldn't ask why, but sometimes it is so hard to understand. He was a firefighter and a good Christian man. It was an accident, a silly accident.

Every night lately when I try to go to sleep at night, I wonder how that mother is feeling as she lies alone in bed. But there is a reason. We just don't know what it is.

God bless you all and Merry Christmas. When you get up tomorrow morning, thank God for letting you live another day.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We are having a hard time with that one lately. My son and his wife recently lost a friend who was about 35 years old. He left behind a mother, father in bad health, a wife and a three and a nine year old children. I know we shouldn't ask why, but sometimes it is so hard to understand. He was a firefighter and a good Christian man. It was an accident, a silly accident.

Every night lately when I try to go to sleep at night, I wonder how that mother is feeling as she lies alone in bed. But there is a reason. We just don't know what it is.

God bless you all and Merry Christmas. When you get up tomorrow morning, thank God for letting you live another day.
I am so sorry to hear about the mans death. It is hard. Especially this time of year.

Thanks for your wishes but I have to say I very very strongly disagree with the notion that God is letting me live another day. And why would you thank God for that? Don't you wanna be near Him?

Old 12-19-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We went on vacation last week and heard lots of Christmas music on the car radio, but very little Christian Christmas music. It was mostly generic type songs that had very little meaning. I remember when we used to get to hear many more meaningful songs on the radio this time of year. Our nation is really in a sad state with senators selling their votes, which used to be illegal for voters to do and no one acknowledging what Christmas is really about.

If it were not for the hope I have in Jesus Christ, I could become really sad. He is the reason for the season and I love Christmas music, even the generic kind.

There are several threads on this website about which state is happiest. I read a little further and found one of the reasons people are happy is when they give to others. Maybe that is why Christmas is such a happy time.
Your last sentences were so right on. It is a season of love and loving and giving is one of the things that makes us all feel good. Well those who think like you and I and most others.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Your OP came across very trollish to be honest with you.

Especially the part with how Atheists and other people who do not care about Christmas. Just because we do not care about the day where people *think* (not know) that Jesus was born does not mean we treat our kids badly.

I do not hate "Christmas" music. I work at Best Buy. It is blasting in my ears the entire time and for all these hours I have worked this weekend and will tomorrow.

I was raised to be a believer of God through Sikhism. My parents are Sikh. They taught me to pray to God and love Him and all that. I tried. No response. I went through a religious search. I found Wicca (like Pagansim) and found it to be VERY beautiful. I felt a connection with the Goddess there. But one day, something just hit me. I cannot explain it to this day. There is no God. There is no Goddess. I tried again recently because for religions class, we had to pick a religion. I picked Christianity. I went to a Church for the first time in my life last month. I found it interesting and agreed with most of what the Church said. I found peace with the art showing Jesus Christ and completely loved the stories they told us of Jesus. I tried again. No response. No connection to God. I tried hard. Prayed. Had a pastor pray for me. My Christian friends and people on this forum.

This is why I am Agnostic but leaning Atheist.
I am sorry that so many who don't agree with me about religion see me as a troll when I try to find out how others think and try to understand them. I know you much better than before and see you getting more and more angry with me, for whatever reason. You made a short, halfway effort to understand Christians and didn't make it. Don't blame me for that since I haven't at all tried to convert you.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I am sorry that so many who don't agree with me about religion see me as a troll when I try to find out how others think and try to understand them. I know you much better than before and see you getting more and more angry with me, for whatever reason. You made a short, halfway effort to understand Christians and didn't make it. Don't blame me for that since I haven't at all tried to convert you.
Go back and reread your post.

It most definitely DID NOT seem like a post to "try to understand" other people.

You know me much better, huh? Posts on the internet just make you the expert, huh? Why the hell would I get angry at you? I don't have time to get angry at internet strangers. I am busy and work and go to school.

You made a short, halfway effort to understand Atheists and didn't make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies