Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

This evening I was working and listening to Christmas music and got hit by the fact that I wonder how atheists and others who don't care at all about Christmas react to it.

When I really listen to it I always remember what a wonderful time Christmas morning was at our house. My parents didn't have a lot of money but we always got some toy type presents although most was clothing and other utilitarian items. That was in the 1930s and 1940s. Of course, things changed when I was over 15 but it was such a great time.

I always remember how my boys reacted to the morning when they were small. When my oldest was 6 he found the bike next to the tree and came wheeling it to our bedroom shouting "Look what he brought." "Look what he brought". I decided that he would never hear the truth about Santa from my lips that morning and he never did. He was in 4th grade when some kid told him about it all. I wouldn't replace that morning or any others for anything.

Now how do you atheists treat your children now or in the past? I really wonder how people deal with Santa when they can't believe in Christ. How about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This evening I was working and listening to Christmas music and got hit by the fact that I wonder how atheists and others who don't care at all about Christmas react to it.

When I really listen to it I always remember what a wonderful time Christmas morning was at our house. My parents didn't have a lot of money but we always got some toy type presents although most was clothing and other utilitarian items. That was in the 1930s and 1940s. Of course, things changed when I was over 15 but it was such a great time.

I always remember how my boys reacted to the morning when they were small. When my oldest was 6 he found the bike next to the tree and came wheeling it to our bedroom shouting "Look what he brought." "Look what he brought". I decided that he would never hear the truth about Santa from my lips that morning and he never did. He was in 4th grade when some kid told him about it all. I wouldn't replace that morning or any others for anything.

Now how do you atheists treat your children now or in the past? I really wonder how people deal with Santa when they can't believe in Christ. How about it?
I'm a child-free atheist so I can't really answer your question.

As for the title of your thread, some Christmas music makes me happy...and some if I can't stand. I love the Mariah Carey, "All I Want for Christmas" song and I love Donnie Hathaway's "This Christmas."

Plenty of atheists partake in Christmas festivities.

Hell, I even listen to "Christian" music. Mostly because I like the singer's voice and I skip over the songs that are overtly Christian [ones that mention "The Lord" "My Savior" "Jesus" etc.].

Old 12-19-2009, 09:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

[MOD CUT/personal attack] Enjoying the Santa tradition does not require a belief in the mythical Christ - as has been discussed in multiple threads on this forum.

I enjoy all the trappings of Christmas, including the music, as do my children, even though I haven't been a 'believer' for almost 40 years, and neither of my children were indoctrinated with religion during their formative years.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-20-2009 at 05:23 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
[MOD CUT/personal attack] Enjoying the Santa tradition does not require a belief in the mythical Christ - as has been discussed in multiple threads on this forum.

I enjoy all the trappings of Christmas, including the music, as do my children, even though I haven't been a 'believer' for almost 40 years, and neither of my children were indoctrinated with religion during their formative years.
Wonderful, future members of the DNC.....

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-20-2009 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
They are both adults and are already members!

Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
...and neither of my children were indoctrinated with religion during their formative years.
I cheerfully indoctrinated mine with the Catholic religion...as they get older they may choose to reject it, but it gave them a base, a foundation if you will, and a religious identity.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
If the Republicans actually believed in separation of church and state, maybe they'd have more atheist members.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I cheerfully indoctrinated mine with the Catholic religion...as they get older they may choose to reject it, but it gave them a base, a foundation if you will, and a religious identity.
Your choice.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
I can't stand Christmas music, I've just heard it too many times. Although I do like these oldies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZMOWZXRoCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3354flS1KJs

Old 12-19-2009, 09:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
On the radio, nine times out of ten I turn the channel

I am no fan of xmas music. I will listen to Andy Williams sing O Holy Night and Mel Torme sing "The Christmas Song" (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire), and sometimes I will suffer through some Motown group (The Temptations or Gladys Knight), singing something, but that is rare.

I avoid shopping this time of year because I hate crowds and I cannot stand listening to the music they play in the stores. I'm 50 and I've heard enough of it to last for the rest of my life, thanks.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies