Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:39 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,016,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you really believe everything he says?? I can't get over you sometimes.

Were the Republicans against Health reform from day 1, I don't know about all of them in congress but as a party, we were not nor are we now. We just want to have a plan that is simple, fair and easy to understand, plus we would like to tackel one or two concerns at a time, not try and push everything down everyones throat...

Nita
Oh yes thats really hard to believe that Republicans of all people would not want to have good faith negotiations with Democrats on health care!

Pssshaw! Republicans? No way! The are all about bi-partisanship.

Video of GOP member admiting they are obstructing for political reasons.

http://crooksandliars.com/dday/voino...alth-care-refo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 AM

45,824 posts, read 27,476,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes unless you are one of the 45 Million American among 300 Million that have no insurance.

I'm sure they think "it's no big deal"
By the way - the "revised" number is 30 million.

You assume that those who do not have insurance are poor and can not afford it. That is not true in all cases.

Many are rich who chose not to have regular insurance - but only carry catastrophic insurance. Some are young adults who simply choose not to have it.

Instead of writing a 2,000 page bill, why not offer a basic coverage to those who want it? That's all you need to do.

Why penalize companies that do offer insurance? Why fine individuals or put them in jail if they choose not to have insurance? The government wants to control behavior through fines and penalties.

They can offer health care without fines and penalties if they wanted to.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM

45,824 posts, read 27,476,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It's about 1) providing health care for all Americans because it is the humane thing to do and 2) making the cost of health care affordable....... Period.

Europe covers all their citizens at half the cost we pay.

17% of our GDP goes to health care and we only cover 85% of Americans.

Europe only spends 10% of their GDP and they cover 100%

We can do they same if Americans stop listening to right wing hate and fearmongering.
Beware - You get what you pay for.

What do you mean "we only cover 85%"? I cover 100% of my family - that's all I am responsible for. Individual responsibility is how this country is supposed to work. Why do some not have insurance? Answer that first before proceeding to make new legislation.

Government should offer a low cost alternative. Leave everyone else alone.

Just because you do not understand and simply want to follow along the company line - doesn't mean it's fearmongering.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,145,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

You assume that those who do not have insurance are poor and can not afford it. That is not true in all cases.

Many are rich who chose not to have regular insurance - but only carry catastrophic insurance. Some are young adults who simply choose not to have it.

Instead of writing a 2,000 page bill, why not offer a basic coverage to those who want it? That's all you need to do.

Why penalize companies that do offer insurance? Why fine individuals or put them in jail if they choose not to have insurance? The government wants to control behavior through fines and penalties.

Right on, I know of a few situations where people choose not to have insurance, even when offered to them. Bleeding hearts just can't accept this..

Nita

Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,344,369 times
Quote:
Right on, I know of a few situations where people choose not to have insurance, even when offered to them.
This is why the mandate makes a lot of sense. I'd make the penalties much higher to ensure 100% compliance. Loss of drivers license, employability, and possible jail time would be good incentives as well.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Oh really? Could you post your revised number source so we can take a look?

Why not fine companies rather than the workers for not having insurance when they can afford to do so?

I don't care which one gets the obligation as long as insurance deadbeats no longer raise my taxes and premiums by skipping out on their unpaid medical bills.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Beware - You get what you pay for.

What do you mean "we only cover 85%"? I cover 100% of my family - that's all I am responsible for. Individual responsibility is how this country is supposed to work. Why do some not have insurance? Answer that first before proceeding to make new legislation.

Government should offer a low cost alternative. Leave everyone else alone.

Just because you do not understand and simply want to follow along the company line - doesn't mean it's fearmongering.

15% of Americans do not have health insurance. That's what I meant by 85% do.

The government was going to offer a low cost alternative by offering the public option and later medicare expansion...

Now the taxpayer and those compelled to buy insurance will have to buy it at the absurd rates the market offers.

The public option would have brought pricing pressure to bear against the medical industry but the lobbyists won thanks to the GOP/Blue Dog coalition.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM

32,860 posts, read 19,573,892 times
Quote:
Right on, I know of a few situations where people choose not to have insurance, even when offered to them. Bleeding hearts just can't accept this..

Nita
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This is why the mandate makes a lot of sense. I'd make the penalties much higher to ensure 100% compliance. Loss of drivers license, employability, and possible jail time would be good incentives as well.

why would you want to mandate???

why should I be forced to BUY (pay for) an insurance that I dont use

why should I be FORCED to pay $50 A WEEK, for health insurance, when I only go to the doctor once a year for a check-up (preventive care) and a simple docotrs visit is less then $100.......does that even make sence spend $50/week time 52 weeks equals 2600 for a single doctors visit........

this is why the mandate makes NO SENSE

Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,344,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

why should I be FORCED to pay $50 A WEEK, for health insurance, when I only go to the doctor once a year for a check-up (preventive care) and a simple docotrs visit is less then $100.......does that even make sence spend $50/week time 52 weeks equals 2600 for a single doctors visit........

Because the larger the pool, the better deal everyone will get. It spreads the risk.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Because if you have a catastrophic injury or illness you will be treated in a Hospital despite having no insurance for which you will stiff them for much of the bill as you cannot pay.

You are so very responsible to pay your way at the doc-n-box for minor ailments and check ups. Wow! I'm impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies