Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

My thoughts are that the 2010 decade will be the decade of terrorism on our homeland. Here's why:

1) The 9/11 attacks awoke a sleeping giant. The United States scurried into action, rearranged the intelligence infrastructure, and took the battle to the terrorists.

2) As "battle smart" as terrorists tend to be, they are still largely left to guesswork as to what they can and cannot get away with in the United States. Understanding U.S. security measures from 8,000 miles away is tough. Which illustrates the importance of keeping them guessing. For the rest of the 2000 decade, terrorists were stymied by what to do next.

3) As a result, the terrorists themselves have had to reorganize their own strategy. I firmly believe the Christmas Day attack was test run using a low level operative to see exactly what they could get away with. Now they know that security vulnerabilities do still exist.

4) The fact that a Nigerian was able to get through the system illustrates to the terrorists that there are still options to attack the United States because we do not have the firewall that may have been perceived to be in place after 9/11.

5) As a result, I believe the Christmas Day attack was confidence inspiring, and thus will likely lead to an increased attempt to hit us hard in the next few years.

I would like to point out that this is not a swipe at Obama. He just happens to be President. It could happen to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I guess i'm the only one who thinks terrorism on the Homeland is a very real possibility this decade!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
How can any one speculate with certainly, that it will not. Unless we have a CRYSTAL BALL, i don't think we know those answers for sure.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My thoughts are that the 2010 decade will be the decade of terrorism on our homeland. Here's why:

1) The 9/11 attacks awoke a sleeping giant. The United States scurried into action, rearranged the intelligence infrastructure, and took the battle to the terrorists.

Yep, got off to a great start, and then dropped the ball, completly

2) As "battle smart" as terrorists tend to be, they are still largely left to guesswork as to what they can and cannot get away with in the United States. Understanding U.S. security measures from 8,000 miles away is tough. Which illustrates the importance of keeping them guessing. For the rest of the 2000 decade, terrorists were stymied by what to do next.

I seem to recall reports of a couple of attacks being thwarted during the remainder of the period of Bush's tenure.

3) As a result, the terrorists themselves have had to reorganize their own strategy. I firmly believe the Christmas Day attack was test run using a low level operative to see exactly what they could get away with. Now they know that security vulnerabilities do still exist.

More than a test run, a full blown, genuine attack....had the device that was employed, operated as the attacker INTENDED, the result would have been quite the mess. If the torpedoes fired at the Lusitania by the german U boat failed to explode, would you say it was just a test run?

4) The fact that a Nigerian was able to get through the system illustrates to the terrorists that there are still options to attack the United States because we do not have the firewall that may have been perceived to be in place after 9/11.

Regardless of what is put in place, there will always be a hole somewhere, that a determind, fanatic can find

5) As a result, I believe the Christmas Day attack was confidence inspiring, and thus will likely lead to an increased attempt to hit us hard in the next few years.

I dont think confidence has ever been a problem for suicidal maniacs, hell bent on destruction and death. Yes, it's just a matter of time.

I would like to point out that this is not a swipe at Obama. He just happens to be President. It could happen to anyone.

In the way that it is referenced, it couldnt happen to anybody, it could (and did) happen the Bush, and now it has happened to Obama. Thankfully, without the same devastating effects as the former experienced.

Yachtcare has spoken.......

Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I guess i'm the only one who thinks terrorism on the Homeland is a very real possibility this decade!

It is and only a fool would think otherwise.

With this idiot in the WH destroying our defenses we need to find ways to force him to protect us or get the hell out of town.

We are getting weaker before our very eyes.

It must not be much to worry about Obama went about playing golf and the TSA head went onto the ski slopes after learning of the latest terrorist attack.

He is more worried about a scam bill then our safety.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Regardless of who was elected President, odds are it will happen eventually. When people are willing to blow themselves up for their cause, it becomes more and more difficult to catch all of them. Honestly, I am surprised it hasn't happened here yet.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
It's a matter of time. I do believe there will be several attacks on the US within the US in the next decade. I hope I am wrong, but they are determined and we continue to sleep.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
Of course there will be. Terrorism will now always be with us, and it is only fools that believe you can stop all attacks. The objective should be to do all we can and hope we stop attacks on a grand scale like 9/11. Does anyone out there truly believe if you make air travel so restrictive that terrorists cannot possibly board an airplane that will stop terrorism? What about other modes of transportation? What about sleeper cells that exist? What about attacks via watercraft on our shores? The possibilities are endless, so to entertain the idea that terrorist attacks are not going to occur this decade seems to be pretty far-fetched.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,118 times
Why are some people so obsessed with terrorism?

I mean it is a threat sure but you are probably more likely to get struck by lightning than be a victim of a terrorist attack. I have never known a victim of a terroristic attack nor have I ever known anyone who has known a victim. It is a pretty miniscule threat.

My safety/security concerns are more related to crime in my neighborhood, drunk-drivers (or for that matter texting or cell phone drivers, etc), other automobile accident/mechanical failure, job loss>loss of health insurance, house fire, and so on. I don't fly often but when I, or a loved one, do I am concerned about the plane crashing due to mechanical failure or pilot error than the unlikely event of a terrorist attack.

Will there be another terrorist attack at some point in the future. Sure. Terrorism is nothing new. Not even in our country. But personally it is way far down on my level of concerns. Probably not even in the top twenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies