Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I didn't think you were very old, Joe. To me the good old days would be the 1950s while I was in college and the Army. Those were 7 or 8 of the best years of my life and none of the things you mentioned were in existence, yet.
Aww but they had hoola hoops and those were very controversial. I recall preachers saying that they were tools of Satan because when people used them the body movements simulated sexual acts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The good old days were better for blacks too. Most homes had a mother and father. Now the vast majority are single parent homes.
I agree. They were really better for blacks and most blacks had an unemployed or under employed dad at home. And back then black dads stayed at home after dark more often too. I guess the thought of being killed by the white police or lynched by the "good old boys" kept them home at night. Or maybe they were just tired from a hard day of work picking up garbage. But I think most blacks would love to go back to the 50s and 60s again! And by golly, if they will just vote Republican we can get them there!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most people tend to remember the good times of their era and they tend to block out the bad times. It is easy for me to recite things like phone booths, a 1964 Chevrolet, The Beatles and of course "Sugar" by the Archies because those things from your chiuld hood stick in your mind as positives. So for many people that is "what America was".
They forget all the drugs, riots, racial strife, Chicago 68, Kent State, Vietnam and Cambodia and all the other bad stuff from back then.
Boy did I love my 64 Vette. Alas! But there are prices. My mother got to drive it while I was on "vacation" in the far east.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Boy did I love my 64 Vette. Alas! But there are prices. My mother got to drive it while I was on "vacation" in the far east.
I was thinking about that 1964 Impala station wagon we had with the rear facing 3rd seat that did not like to start in cold weather.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Quote:
Aww but they had hoola hoops and those were very controversial. I recall preachers saying that they were tools of Satan because when people used them the body movements simulated sexual acts.
lol

Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,437 times
Quote:
I agree. They were really better for blacks and most blacks had an unemployed or under employed dad at home. And back then black dads stayed at home after dark more often too. I guess the thought of being killed by the white police or lynched by the "good old boys" kept them home at night. Or maybe they were just tired from a hard day of work picking up garbage. But I think most blacks would love to go back to the 50s and 60s again! And by golly, if they will just vote Republican we can get them there!
Excellent post! It seems like a lot of these right wingers who are always crying about the "good old days" of America, but forget the bad things, like Jim Crow and being under the threat of nuclear war, the gas crisis, the great depression, and several major wars. Talk about selective memory...

Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 AM

757 posts, read 803,296 times
And it took the United States 234 years to elect a black man President. I wonder if there's any correlation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Let's see here. These are facts, not racism, although I am sure those with a pocket fill of race cards will use them. Most black families are single family homes where the fathers abondon their children. Blacks have a real and growing problem of their children in gangs, on drugs and killing each other in the streets. They are the largest population in our prisons. They are the fastest growing population contracting HIV and AIDS.

Now I don't know why they have these problems in larger numbers but I am positive there was a time when life was better for blacks in many ways.

Now play those race cards folks.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:22 AM

757 posts, read 803,296 times
Comments such as? Be specific please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Sure did. But the problem is the libs ignore all of Jonny boy's comments about the present creep in charge.

How convenient to stop quoting Jonny Stewart as a "source" when he is nothing more than a form of entertainment when a demo is in charge.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I didn't think you were very old, Joe. To me the good old days would be the 1950s while I was in college and the Army. Those were 7 or 8 of the best years of my life and none of the things you mentioned were in existence, yet.
It certainly isn't the 80s and 90s. You are right, most people consider the "good old days" 50 to 70s or even very early 80s. It has to be at least 25 plus years to be considered good old days.

Nita

Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Does anyone know how many times Glen Beck has cried on national tv? The dude needs to be medicated.
No, I would guess the only people who do are those who have nothing better to do than watch TV.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies