Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
oooh bad idea.
Internal combustion engines are the most economically and environmentally viable forms of propulsion.
Maybe, but it shouldn't hurt if we can squeeze 60 miles of of a gallon instead of 16,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Such as medical equipment, medicine, high-tech parts, micro chips, airplanes, plane parts, weapons, cars, trucks, boats etc. Hopefully they will consider the "Made in USA" tag a cool thing like the rest of the world once did.
they can and do make all those things themselves.

unfortunately, i'm not as optimistic as you are that they will be falling all over themselves to 'buy American' - they've had the opportunity to do so for quite some time now, and haven't.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
they can and do make all those things themselves
Well, they don't. It is not cheap to start designing a new airplane when you never built one before. Sometimes it makes sense to import some and export some. Even US worked that way when were were at the peak of our production years.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
we have already been sold out on airplanes:

Today, more than 3,400 Boeing airplanes -- one third of Boeing's world fleet -- have major parts and assemblies built in China. Examples of major parts and assemblies built for Boeing by Chinese industry include the 737 horizontal stabilizer from Shanghai Aircraft Corp., 737 vertical fin from Xian Aircraft Corp., 737 tail section modules from Shenyang Aircraft Corp., and 757 empennage and aft fuselage section from Chengdu Aircraft Corp. All are AVIC I affiliates.

Boeing is China's largest commercial aviation partner.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
china has its own cash for clunkers:
China increased the subsidy for car owners who replace old vehicles from Jan. 1 as part of an extended stimulus package aimed at maintaining a rapid growth for the auto market.
The Ministry of Commerce said in a statement Thursday that qualified car owners who trade outdated or highly polluted vehicles will receive a subsidy of between 5,000 yuan (US$733) and 18,000 yuan this year, up from last year's maximum 6,000 yuan.

also, the article posted stated that the government cut sales taxes on smaller, fuel-efficient cars and spent $730m (ÂŁ450m) on subsidies for buyers of larger cars, pickup trucks and minivans. Stimulus spending on building highways and other public works also helped to boost sales of trucks used in construction.

so they subsidized both bigger and smaller. a lot of china's "growth" is government supplied.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times
Quote:
This is fairly intetesting. I wonder if US car companies are taking advantage of the situation and exporting cars there.

China overtakes US in car sales | Business | guardian.co.uk

China has overtaken the US to become the biggest car market in the world as government policy initiatives spur demand.

China sold more than 13.5m vehicles last year, the official Xinhua news agency said today, compared with 10.4m cars and light trucks sold in the US, the lowest level in 27 years.
Hi, Finn. I find this interesting but wonder why it took so long for a nation of over 1 billion people to start outselling one of just over 300 million. It would seem to me that since they have 3 times as many people who haven't had the money to spend until lately they should sell about 3 times as many vehicles.

Also, our government policies haven't spurred those sales, except for that one month span of foolishness, and they have been trying to get people to buy.

One more time statistics don't tell all the story.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Such as medical equipment, medicine, high-tech parts, micro chips, airplanes, plane parts, weapons, cars, trucks, boats etc. Hopefully they will consider the "Made in USA" tag a cool thing like the rest of the world once did.
A bit off topic but have you seen the Walter Williams opinion piece about how the US is still a producing nation with manufacturing amounts that exceed all but two nations in the world? Very interesting.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Maybe, but it shouldn't hurt if we can squeeze 60 miles of of a gallon instead of 16,
I always thought of you as a big man but you sound like you can squeeze your body into a very small car.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
we have already been sold out on airplanes:

Today, more than 3,400 Boeing airplanes -- one third of Boeing's world fleet -- have major parts and assemblies built in China. Examples of major parts and assemblies built for Boeing by Chinese industry include the 737 horizontal stabilizer from Shanghai Aircraft Corp., 737 vertical fin from Xian Aircraft Corp., 737 tail section modules from Shenyang Aircraft Corp., and 757 empennage and aft fuselage section from Chengdu Aircraft Corp. All are AVIC I affiliates.

Boeing is China's largest commercial aviation partner.
Lets see now. What kind of planes could they manufacture if they took all those single parts and put them together? I don't know but a few parts at a time and they can supply Boeing with some needed parts. I think that most of those parts are also supplied by Boeing plants in the US, also. I have been wrong before, though.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Hi, Finn. I find this interesting but wonder why it took so long for a nation of over 1 billion people to start outselling one of just over 300 million. It would seem to me that since they have 3 times as many people who haven't had the money to spend until lately they should sell about 3 times as many vehicles.

Also, our government policies haven't spurred those sales, except for that one month span of foolishness, and they have been trying to get people to buy.

One more time statistics don't tell all the story.
The economic growth in China is recent, which is why it didn't happen sooner.

No one said it had anything to do with US government policies. It doesn't. I said that US manufacturers need to take advantage of the boom in China because if we don't, the Europeans will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies