Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Is there freedom in other armies to pick and choose which wars a soldier fights?

Soldiers are instruments of governments to carry out their policies, not create the the policies or pick and choose which ones they will carry out.

Now if you want to hang out next to the recruiters table at the high school and warn kids that life in the military might not be the heroic adventure as some would paint, feel free. Once the choice is made, they become property of their governments.
This is very true.

Also, I will never say the military is perfect, but someone can't just sit back and say: "oh we don't care about our military". The US military gets many more benefits than foreign militaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
This thread has "Epic Failure" written all over it.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
There's no freedom in the army, thats the truth, lets get real, if there was freedom, then the western governments would listen to what their soldiers want.

Stop believing the lies your government tells you, because they dont really care about their soldiers, all they care about is themselves, i feel bad for the soldiers because they're forced to go to a pointless war to fight a group of fighters that have no intentions to harm the west, WAKE UP for godsakes.

An american soldier got 10 years in jail for deserting the army, he knew that this war was pointless and he did not want to risk his life, and he got 10 years in prison, do you honestly think the western leaders care about their soldiers? NO, because if you express your opinion about the war, no matter what you do you will be forced to stay.

Al-Qaeda is the real threat, the Taliban was not the main focus for the west, our main focus is Al-Qaeda, yesterday 3 men got arrested in heathrow for making threats to bomb a plane, Al-Qaeda is benifiting from this, wake up, dont cry when a terrorist attack similar to 9/11 happens because by then the damage would be done, so people need to focus on Al-Qaeda, not the Taliban, the taliban have no intention to harm the west, they have never been a threat.

This war is pointless, whenever you make progress in 1 place, you lose in the other.
I understand that there are soldiers who have been in the military for a while, I'm talking before 9/11, that don't agree w/either Iraq or Afghanistan. But I am sorry, when you sign up for the military, you sign up for whatever your country is going thru & for whatever your commander in chief tells you to do. They know this, they're not stupid. You cannot in all honesty go into a military recruitment office & think "I've got an easy 4 years ahead of me...plus college tuition to boot!!!". Why do you think the majority of people in this country don't enlist? Because they know that conflict or peace is never a given, why would you want to get involved w/that? I do have the utmost respect for our soldiers, they are putting their lives on the line in a way that I would never do.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times
Quote:
There's no freedom in the army, thats the truth, lets get real, if there was freedom, then the western governments would listen to what their soldiers want.

Stop believing the lies your government tells you, because they dont really care about their soldiers, all they care about is themselves, i feel bad for the soldiers because they're forced to go to a pointless war to fight a group of fighters that have no intentions to harm the west, WAKE UP for godsakes.

An american soldier got 10 years in jail for deserting the army, he knew that this war was pointless and he did not want to risk his life, and he got 10 years in prison, do you honestly think the western leaders care about their soldiers? NO, because if you express your opinion about the war, no matter what you do you will be forced to stay.

Al-Qaeda is the real threat, the Taliban was not the main focus for the west, our main focus is Al-Qaeda, yesterday 3 men got arrested in heathrow for making threats to bomb a plane, Al-Qaeda is benifiting from this, wake up, dont cry when a terrorist attack similar to 9/11 happens because by then the damage would be done, so people need to focus on Al-Qaeda, not the Taliban, the taliban have no intention to harm the west, they have never been a threat.

This war is pointless, whenever you make progress in 1 place, you lose in the other.

John Kerry is that you?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
What did OP want to do send them to Califonia? I am sure those joinign know exactly waht they are facing but it seems that those you choose otherwise want to say what the soldiers think.Sounds to me like the Op would have surrender quickly in WWII ;when geramny and japn took possession of much of their part of the world.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:

Good heavens, what dewy naivete is this? Have you ever been in the military, or around the military?

Be glad there's not a draft.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 PM

731 posts, read 776,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Not a single link to anything.

GAWD, I've been retired for almost 20 years and STILL silyvilians amaze me to no end.

YAWN!!!!
Despite the Threat of Harsh Punishment, Soldier Says “No” to Deployment in Afghanistan « RAWA News

''More than 150 soldiers have publicly refused to fight in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and an estimated 200 war resisters are living in Canada.''

Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
He is not facing any time for speaking out againest the war. Where do you come up with this.
There's possibility of him facing up to 10 years in prison.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
John Kerry is that you?
No its ''Mrhman92''

Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I doubt that the OP ever served.
I have and in time of war. The common soldier has no choice in his orders. It is his job to obey all lawful orders. The majority that serve believe in the mission. 150 out of millions have decided to disobey orders. Not bad. Consider the civilian work force. The rate is much higher by far.
Todays soldier made the choice to join. They are not forced. Before you join it is explained that you will no longer have the choice to disregard your orders and that if you opt to do so you will be punished for it.
What I regret is that our soldiers like in Vietnam are forced to fight a war the way civilians feel it should be fought. They are handicapped and given impossible rules of engagment. Yet they made the choice to join. Just like I did. I also made the choice at the end of my last enlistment to end my service. They have that same choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies