Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Where I work a stare can get you fired. If you slip and swear at the wrong moment can get you fired. If you observe that a woman is of a higher tech rating but doesn't know the basics, that can get you fired.
Thats life. He joined knowing the policies. Thats life.
I don't see what any of that has to do with someone being afraid of saying "that's hot" in fear that he might be perceived to be a homosexual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:40 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
well said and on point

I agree enough of this freaking crap. I'm sick of these kind of posts, it gets old. And yes the sure hek Gays should serve, no questions asked, what a stupid question.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
He was a greek. He was Bi-sexual and that culture actually supported men molesting boys. So should we allow our educators to molest our children because the greeks allowed it?
I honestly believe that a gay man can soldier as well as anyone else. The bind comes from lack of any real privacy. I say let them serve. Let them pull their own weight and do their duty. Punish anyone who abuses them and punish any gay soldier who steps out of bounds with a straight soldier. make the punishments harsh and quick.
I somewhat agree with the last half of your statement but I'm not sure where the connection between child molestation by educators and military service came from.

Forgive my sweeping generalization but all the gays I've ever met were at the gym. Those I know tend to be disciplined, organized, and in top physical condition while most of my straight friends in my age group are fat, lazy (I too am guilty there), can't balance a checkbook, and their lives are train wrecks. Most of them were fat train wrecks 30 years ago too! If you were a soldier in combat, which would you prefer (pardon the pun) covering your 6?
Again, that's a sweeping generalization as we all know there are some real freaks who are also gay but my experience indicates that the average gay male might be more suited to military life than the average straight man. Since an enormously high percentage of men who volunteer these days can't even pass the rather lenient physical requirements for service, I'd hazard a guess that there are a lot more gays in the military already than most realize. I'd also bet that very few of those who are gay and serving would admit it.

To be clear, I'm heterosexual. I simply don't care what a soldier's sexual preferences are because he's paid for a valuable skill set, not what or who he does in bed.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
For those of you who feel the need to judge me based upon my actions, go right ahead. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I did not single out one person on this forum with my comment nor did I say anything deragatory about gay people. I simply stated a situation that had occured and my response, evidently many think it was a poor choice on my part. Do I regret what I did? Maybe a bit, a combination of high blood pressure and a fairly short fuse in this type of situation might make my action a bit drastic.

Quote:
Bigots and haters can be mods now? Well, that's interesting. But you're a white male and I see Budweiser. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.
Very tactful comment. Obviously if you take the time to look up the term Bigot, it is someone who is intolerant of other beliefs, etc etc. I stated that if someone was gay and they were not bothering me, I had NO problem with it even though I may think it's wrong I wouldn't go out of my way to demean them. Before you start calling people these terms, make sure you read eveything.

You are also assuming I am a white male? Do you know this? Do you have a "natural instinct" to know the color of the person you are talking to online?

You know I was upset by your comment and wanted to make you look like an ass, but I see you needed no help in doing so.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't understand what your example about carrying a heavy desk up a flight of stairs has to do with it being "unfair for women and gays to be in the army".
The 1SG maintains a duty roster, each duty section or NCO must provide the soldier when their duty or detail comes up.

Three females are on the list to be on the !SG's detail for a day. The !SG has a requirement to move a heavy wooden desk up a flight of stairs.

He sends the 3 female soldiers to move the desk. They cannot lift it, let alone move it up the stairs.

Male soldiers not on schedule to be on the detail have to move the desk.

If the !SG calls a NCO for soldiers to do a heavy lifting task. You better not send him females...lol.

There are a lot of male soldiers doing extra work the females can't do because of upper body strength. Every one knows it..but it is kept quiet.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
...if they can't be open about who they are? Why should they care about serving the country if they are discriminated against both in the military and in the country they serve?
yes they can defend the country as well as anyone else.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I served with a few gay guys when the Navy did not allow any gays or females to serve on shipboard. These guys were very much in the closet because being gay as a court martial offense. I remember on guy making a pass at me and being told thanks for the offer but I do not swing that way. Over the next few months we helped keep each other alive until he was killed by a bullet from somewhere out in the paddies.

I do not see any problem with people of different orientation in the military. So long as they can learn their jobs, show up for watch on time and help their compatriots stay alive I do not care if they are gay, straight or female.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,705 times
Unhappy sad but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
...if they can't be open about who they are? Why should they care about serving the country if they are discriminated against both in the military and in the country they serve?
I guess the brave men and women who are gay or bisexual who choose to serve their country but have to hide their sexual preferences are part of brave new world that will hopefully help bring about change!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The 1SG maintains a duty roster, each duty section or NCO must provide the soldier when their duty or detail comes up.

Three females are on the list to be on the !SG's detail for a day. The !SG has a requirement to move a heavy wooden desk up a flight of stairs.

He sends the 3 female soldiers to move the desk. They cannot lift it, let alone move it up the stairs.

Male soldiers not on schedule to be on the detail have to move the desk.

If the !SG calls a NCO for soldiers to do a heavy lifting task. You better not send him females...lol.

There are a lot of male soldiers doing extra work the females can't do because of upper body strength. Every one knows it..but it is kept quiet.
Some swift backtracking here. Your original post made what appeared to be a claim that women and or gays are not able to lift the "heavy" desk. As if gay men are not as strong as a straight man. I will tell you this, I am gay and am quite strong from being a gardener for years. I will be 50 and I am much stronger physically than most of the straight and gay friends and acquaintances that I know. My clients are always amazed at what I can lift or move. Give up the desk analogy, it does not fly, nor does any other excuse to keep gays from serving in the military.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:30 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
No. Unless I am allowed to shower with the women.
What does this have to do with anything?

Everything. A women would not men sharing a shower with them because men get aroused looking at naked women.

Homosexuals get aroused looking other men. That is what makes the homosexual. they like men.

In the military there are many instances where showers are not private but, are common shower rooms. every body showers together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Let's see. What's more important? Repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell so that people aren't fired from the military for mentioning a same-sex partner, or giving you the right to shower with a woman?

Such a dilemma.
I think you name shoud be changed to identified male . I think we have identified you becaise of you many homosexualosts.

Due to the closeness of people in circumstances people find themselves in, mixing sexes in combat situations is not desirable. Women do not like men ogling them. Men should not be subjected to the same.

Homosexuals should not be in the military at all. Don't ask, don't tell is a sham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies