Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:41 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I was going to say that the one who hits the breaks and is in the front isn't usually the one at fault.
If you swerve in front of someone and immediately slams on your brakes, you're at fault. And if you want to get away with it, don't do it twice (as this idiot did) and don't admit to a police officer that you wanted to "teach them a lesson".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
For white-collar crime or somesuch, I could see community service or even income-adjusted fines - provided it's applied evenly for everybody.

But if we're talking "assault with a deadly weapon" and "battery with serious bodily injury", off to the slammer. Justice is blind. Has to be.
Okay, yes, I can agree with that. Thanks for giving me your explanation in a rational tone.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:16 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I read about this yesterday while at work.

What a petty move.
He got what he deserved.

I don't understand the road rage some drivers have for cyclists.

I have rage for anyone who is in front of me and is traveling well under the speed limit and simply refuses to allow be to pass by. I don't condone what this guy did as it was extremely dangerous and over the top but I can understand what drove him to take such action. Nothing like getting behind a group of bikers blocking the whole road and going 20 MPH under the speed limit who refuse to move over to get your blood boiling.

Cyclists (and slowpokes) have just as much right to the road as do I but common courtesy would dictate that they move over and allow faster traffic to pass. It's just like hanging in the left hand lane on the highway. PASSING ONLY!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I have rage for anyone who is in front of me and is traveling well under the speed limit and simply refuses to allow be to pass by. I don't condone what this guy did as it was extremely dangerous and over the top but I can understand what drove him to take such action. Nothing like getting behind a group of bikers blocking the whole road and going 20 MPH under the speed limit who refuse to move over to get your blood boiling.

Cyclists (and slowpokes) have just as much right to the road as do I but common courtesy would dictate that they move over and allow faster traffic to pass. It's just like hanging in the left hand lane on the highway. PASSING ONLY!

This goes for cyclists and passenger cars. I have seen this numerous time by both types of vehicle.

Considering the story the man did intentionally mean harm to these people and deserves to be punished. Driving is a right not a privilege. It does bother me when people drive too slow, but what bothers me most is when I'm behind someone driving slow and the person behind me is tailgating.
The speed limit is how fast you are allowed to go, not the slowest. There is also a reason why you are suppose to stay a certain distance away from the car in front of you. Common courtesy is a good thing all around. You should try not to let other peoples actions upset you, that's when you give up control. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I understand the frustration with cyclists, many routinely ignore stop signs and red lights, ride double or 3 wide occupying an entire lane and refuse to pull over to the shoulder or side of the road, putting themselves and others in danger. Add to that they pay no registration or license fees or carry insurance. Not that any of this justifies putting their lives in danger.
Not sure where you are.. but where I'm from, Motorcyclists are required to carry a Class M license. They also have to register their vehicle, like a car, AND the state requires that ALL VEHICLES are to be insured before they can be registered - or they must pay the uninsured driver fee.

The only exception for motorized vehicles (in this state) are the 49cc or lesser Mopeds. Which, there are special guidelines for those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Considering the story the man did intentionally mean harm to these people and deserves to be punished. Driving is a right not a privilege.
Last I checked, driving was a privilege and not a right.

You don't have the right to drive. The state gives you the privilege of driving by way of your Driver's License - which can be taken away and/or suspended.

Fact is, he purposely caused the accident and needs to face the consequences of his actions. I'm glad he didn't kill anybody with his shenanigans.

In this instance, he got pissed off about a training class in process (which I know can be oh-so-annoying to get stuck behind) and decided to give the cyclists a "crash course", so to speak.

I've been stuck behind one of these groups, as well as "Student Drivers". Yeah, they both suck at driving, are generally going below the speed limit, and are completely upredictable... but you just gotta have patience with them.

Just imagine if his frustrations were to have been taken out on a car of "Student Drivers" - children.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think it should. Let's say he was a surgeon who performed an incredibly rare procedure on infants. Would society be better off with him in prison or with him continuing his work?
Both. I personally think that he could/should perform his incredibly rare procedure on infants as his "community service" while serving in prison. Pro Bono Publico - For the Public Good.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Not sure where you are.. but where I'm from, Motorcyclists are required to carry a Class M license. They also have to register their vehicle, like a car, AND the state requires that ALL VEHICLES are to be insured before they can be registered - or they must pay the uninsured driver fee.

The only exception for motorized vehicles (in this state) are the 49cc or lesser Mopeds. Which, there are special guidelines for those.

Last I checked, driving was a privilege and not a right.

You don't have the right to drive. The state gives you the privilege of driving by way of your Driver's License - which can be taken away and/or suspended.

Fact is, he purposely caused the accident and needs to face the consequences of his actions. I'm glad he didn't kill anybody with his shenanigans.

In this instance, he got pissed off about a training class in process (which I know can be oh-so-annoying to get stuck behind) and decided to give the cyclists a "crash course", so to speak.

I've been stuck behind one of these groups, as well as "Student Drivers". Yeah, they both suck at driving, are generally going below the speed limit, and are completely upredictable... but you just gotta have patience with them.

Just imagine if his frustrations were to have been taken out on a car of "Student Drivers" - children.....

Both. I personally think that he could/should perform his incredibly rare procedure on infants as his "community service" while serving in prison. Pro Bono Publico - For the Public Good.

I'm sorry I wrote that backwards. Thank you for fixing my mistake.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
This goes for cyclists and passenger cars. I have seen this numerous time by both types of vehicle.

Considering the story the man did intentionally mean harm to these people and deserves to be punished. Driving is a right not a privilege. It does bother me when people drive too slow, but what bothers me most is when I'm behind someone driving slow and the person behind me is tailgating.
The speed limit is how fast you are allowed to go, not the slowest. There is also a reason why you are suppose to stay a certain distance away from the car in front of you. Common courtesy is a good thing all around. You should try not to let other peoples actions upset you, that's when you give up control. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

When people are intentionally being rude (which seems more and more common these days) I just count to ten and tell myself that they must have very unhappy lives if they are forced to act like an a$$ while driving to get their kicks. Usually, this replaces my anger with pity and gratitude that my life isn't as sad as theirs.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
And folks wonder why there are so many poor and minorities in prison.

Would folks think about what they are writing?

Doctor, five years for felonious assault should get community service. Now change that to Billy Bob Smith, or Jose Gonzalez gets mad at a bicyclist and swings at them with a baseball bat, are folks honestly going to tell me that they would be calling for community service?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Teaching someone a lesson with a deadly weapon like a car is not just an assault. IMHO it is ATTEMPTED MURDER. This guy got off easy. Way too easy.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Only 5 years????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies