Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Well, I think it's a sad world when a Doctor tries to run bikers off the road, then purposely slams his brakes on them to cause a crash. Not just once, not just twice, but three times.

Sounds like he's provoking bikers, getting bikers ticked off, then forcing an accident. What a great world we live in.
I was in no way justifying this morons behavior at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I was in no way justifying this morons behavior at all.
Never said you were. I agree completely with the idea of "Don't provoke strangers" - it's never a good idea. I was just pointing out my disgust in the fact that this guy is a Doctor who went out of his way to harm people.

I was also noting that he has done this three times now. It honestly appears that just being on a bike and being in his way is enough provocation for him.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
We have some cyclist here in TN where I live. I have no problem with them being on the road. I worry about them though because people in cars drive way too carelessly and have no regard for others on the road.
I do believe when you are on the water the boat with the least power gets the right of way (sailboat vs. motorboat), the sailboat gets the right of way because it is harder for them to manipulate their vehicle, shouldn't it be the same on the roadways.
If I was riding a bike and the person in the car was harassing me I too would probably flick them off.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

What I see with incidents such as these is a growing trend of people behaving badly, and then being surprised at the repurcussions. Both parties were in the wrong, however the drivers actions had the most potential for harm. How is it that people no longer realize that when they provoke a stranger, you have no idea what the resulting action may be. The law may help you after the fact, but reckless provocation is a dangerous game, and like Russian roulette, best avoided.
If by "provoke" you mean responding with a hand gesture after you've been honked at, nearly run off the road, then yelled at when being passed, then I would completely agree.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I have rage for anyone who is in front of me and is traveling well under the speed limit and simply refuses to allow be to pass by. I don't condone what this guy did as it was extremely dangerous and over the top but I can understand what drove him to take such action. Nothing like getting behind a group of bikers blocking the whole road and going 20 MPH under the speed limit who refuse to move over to get your blood boiling.

Cyclists (and slowpokes) have just as much right to the road as do I but common courtesy would dictate that they move over and allow faster traffic to pass. It's just like hanging in the left hand lane on the highway. PASSING ONLY!

Not to mention they ride around in those court jester outfits with their asses right in your face, lol.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If they plowed into the back of his car when he slammed on the brakes, they were tailgating.
I agree. If they had been in a car and plowed into him, they would be the ones charged.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post

I agree. If they had been in a car and plowed into him, they would be the ones charged.
Not if they were passed and the passing car moved in in front of them too closely to give them sufficient stopping distance, then intentionally slammed on their brakes.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
If by provoke; you mean responding with a hand gesture after you've been honked at, nearly run off the road, then yelled at when being passed, then I would completely agree.
With all due respect, that isn't what happened. The cyclists were going downhill and riding side by side. The driver was behind them and wanted to pass. They wouldn't allow him to do that so he swerved around them and as he was passing them he yelled to them to ride single file. The bicyclists then made a "hand gesture" and cursed at the driver. As the driver then pulled in front of them, he slammed his brakes to injure the cyclists. The driver was not justified to injure these bicyclists but I understand the point zimbochick made. Do you believe these cyclists would have been injured if they let the driver pass and didn't make gestures and curse at him? I personally don't think anything would have happened to them if they ignored him. Just because someone is rude, it doesn't mean you have to retaliate especially knowing the consequences could be far worse. Maybe these cyclists were within their right to ride side by side, I don't really know how those laws pertain, but its generally considered polite to allow faster drivers to pass. If the driver wanted to pass, why didn't they ride single file so that he could pass?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
With all due respect, that isn't what happened. The cyclists were going downhill and riding side by side. The driver was behind them and wanted to pass. They wouldn't allow him to do that so he swerved around them and as he was passing them he yelled to them to ride single file. The bicyclists then made a "hand gesture" and cursed at the driver.
Question: If someone literally ran you off the road then yelled at you, what would your response be?

I'd be uttering words that'd make a sailor blush. And I would have given him the "You're #1" dalute in full stereo.

Quote:
Do you believe these cyclists would have been injured if they let the driver pass and didn't make gestures and curse at him?
He has done this twice prior.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Question: If someone literally ran you off the road then yelled at you, what would your response be?
I would pull over and ride single file so that it doesn't get to that point. I would not feel comfortable delaying other drivers and would simply ride to the far right. If he still did that, I would do nothing. I would just think he is an idiot who is having some road rage. I wouldn't try to provoke him.
Quote:
He has done this twice prior.
We don't know the details in those previous circumstances. How do we know the cyclists didn't provoke him in those cases. I personally don't believe anything would have happened had they ignored him. It sounds like he was a resident in that housing community therefore he takes that drive and interacts with cyclists fairly often. He didn't try to maim bicyclists in each occasion did he? This is why I personally believe nothing would have happened to the cyclists if they didn't respond the way they did.

Last edited by zox; 01-12-2010 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies