Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
with your background...digging a hole should be no problem
lol lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Will you pay for all of this???
My point was, the U.N. and all of the relief agencies will probably collect $Billions in donations. Why not give each Haitian family $5000, relocate them to the huge number of vacant homes, and force the banks that screwed us all in the housing mess turn over their foreclosed properties.

Merely hyperbole, but it's probably better in the long run. The U.S. took in millions of Irish men and women during the potato famine (another act of God). Many of which became contributing members of society and helped grow the U.S. economy in the 1800's.

What's that saying? The tighter you grip onto money, the faster it will leave your hands.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Quote:
Fair question!! I am pro choice. So much so in my younger days I walked as a human shield at a few abortion clinics in Atlanta.

Still my business concerns leaves me voting and supporting the Republican party. Gun rights are in there too.
I said (nearly) the same thing on another thread last month and just about got shouted down and banned. Talk about bringing the haters out

Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
My point was, the U.N. and all of the relief agencies will probably collect $Billions in donations. Why not give each Haitian family $5000, relocate them to the huge number of vacant homes, and force the banks that screwed us all in the housing mess turn over their foreclosed properties.

Merely hyperbole, but it's probably better in the long run. The U.S. took in millions of Irish men and women during the potato famine (another act of God). Many of which became contributing members of society and helped grow the U.S. economy in the 1800's.

What's that saying? The tighter you grip onto money, the faster it will leave your hands.
I'd be investing in bulldozers and landfills there right now

Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
There is little doubt that the Haitians have had a bad go .Not just now , but ,over the last 200 years as well. Some facts; Did you know Haiti was once the richest Country in the western hemisphere ? Did you know the US of A has invaded the country several times.?..(and not to help them ) It all had to do with big sugar , and control of the industry.
Today , they have nothing, they make nothing , and want little. Some of the nicest people on earth, the Haitians. They have produced a very prolific line of artists , poets, writers , and musicians. For a Country that has been exploited so may time by outsiders , it is amazing that they still exist. Haiti has a constant battle with their neighbor on the Island , the Dominican republic, which continues to exploit the Haitian people into slavery, working in their fields. Haitians are not allowed to live in the DR, only to work there. A while back the remaining Haitians living in the DR were systematical slotted, in a blood bath along the DR border, that event , is now a national Holiday in Haiti....Just some facts , about a Country , that has had more than their share of turmoil , and , yes internal corruption , but , that too was just another nail in the coffin of the average resident of such a beautiful ( once was ) , Island... we do , and must , come to their aid big time !.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Who will buy the homes?? Who will support these people??

I was not "screwed" over by banks. I read what I sign.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:

It seems when ever the good ol' US of A gets involved in " helping people" on a mass scale, they screw it up, that goes without saying , look at New Orleans.( A problem waiting to happen for many years,due to politics,lack of funding infrastructure on a national and local level ).

The best thing we can do now , is help the Haitians internally.rebuild from within. Every dollar spent within the Country is like 5.00 spent elsewhere, like moving the people out and resettling them. We do need to temporary help in a resettlement for the short term , but that should only be until some infrastructure is rebuilt, and, rebuilt BY THE HAITIANS. We Do need to oversee our funding on the Island however as the corruption is bad. This will be the hardest part , as they are a proud people , and want only their own sovereignty.

Foreclosures here in the US , yes thats another problem we have, and will until the big bankers get taken down a notch. No one has the guts to do it, thats the problem.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It seems when ever the good ol' US of A gets involved in " helping people" on a mass scale, they screw it up, that goes without saying , look at New Orleans.( A problem waiting to happen for many years,due to politics,lack of funding infrastructure on a national and local level ).

The best thing we can do now , is help the Haitians internally.rebuild from within. Every dollar spent within the Country is like 5.00 spent elsewhere, like moving the people out and resettling them. We do need to temporary help in a resettlement for the short term , but that should only be until some infrastructure is rebuilt, and, rebuilt BY THE HAITIANS. We Do need to oversee our funding on the Island however as the corruption is bad. This will be the hardest part , as they are a proud people , and want only their own sovereignty.

Foreclosures here in the US , yes thats another problem we have, and will until the big bankers get taken down a notch. No one has the guts to do it, thats the problem.
Part of the foreclosure problem is the government's thought of, "everyone can afford a home". That is just not true.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:

You assume they can't support themselves? Work and create jobs here?

We (collectively) as as country were all screwed over by the banks, and we are all paying (in decreased property values, bank prop-ups, takeover of Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, etc.). Now there are hundreds of thousands (a million maybe?) of vacant homes around the country, all because of free-wheeling lenders. Seems like a perfect opportunity for some economic justice.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
You assume they can't support themselves? Work and create jobs here?

We (collectively) as as country were all screwed over by the banks, and we are all paying (in decreased property values, bank prop-ups, takeover of Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, etc.). Now there are hundreds of thousands (a million maybe?) of vacant homes around the country, all because of free-wheeling lenders. Seems like a perfect opportunity for some economic justice.
So, you support the goverment taking from US citizens and giving to foreigners??? Let us give them YOUR house, OK???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies