Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,816 times

Advertisements

U.S. Supreme Court ruling on campaign spending may undermine elections | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

The Supreme Court based their decision on the 1st Amendment right to free speech, saying that limiting what corporations can do with their money is a violation of the right to freedom of speech. Give me a break!

As far as I'm concerned, corporations are not persons, and money is not speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
U.S. Supreme Court ruling on campaign spending may undermine elections | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

The Supreme Court based their decision on the 1st Amendment right to free speech, saying that limiting what corporations can do with their money is a violation of the right to freedom of speech. Give me a break!

Labor unions are not persons either. Never met a leftist who had an issue with unions giving money collected from dues to politicians against the will of their members.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post

According to law they are treated s persons. Don't like it change the law.

Corporate personhood debate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The laws of the United States hold that a legal entity (like a corporation or non-profit organization) shall be treated under the law as a person except when otherwise noted. This rule of construction is specified in 1 U.S.C. §1, which states:
In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, unless the context indicates otherwise-- the words "person" and "whoever" include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals;"

As for money not equaling speech, then make broadcast time free.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I guess the corporation is considered equal to a citizen.
What's next..the right for the corporation to cast a vote ?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Labor unions are not persons either. Never met a leftist who had an issue with unions giving money collected from dues to politicians against the will of their members.
Hi. I'm bluebeard.
Ok, now you've met me.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Hi, I'm Rva-jsn20, you've met 2 now.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 PM

40 posts, read 119,264 times
Why would a corporation need a vote when they can influence millions of them.

This may be the most damaging decision of the decade.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer ts View Post
Why would a corporation need a vote when they can influence millions of them.

This may be the most damaging decision of the decade.

Corporations are subject to the laws as much as everyone else. See bank tax. And those laws affect employment. Why shouldn't they have a voice?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
This is a really sad day in America. This single decision will do more damage to our democracy than words can describe.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/21/campaign.finance.ruling/index.html#cnnSTCText

Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
This is a really sad day in America. This single decision will do more damage to our democracy than words can describe.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/21/campaign.finance.ruling/index.html#cnnSTCText

Yeah I know this is such an outrageous statement!

""Our nation's speech dynamic is changing, and informative voices should not have to circumvent onerous restrictions to exercise their First Amendment rights," Kennedy said. "The censorship we now confront is vast in its reach.""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies