Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:33 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,567,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Unemployment is one word, which I'm sure you know from your extensive research on the subject.

So, pulling a collapsed economy back from the brink of depression and reducing job losses every single month by tens of thousands (and even having positive job growth in November) is not enough for a year?
Would this be why the reported unemployment figures are still rising each month? Liberal math?

Remember, losses not as high as expected does not mean growth, just fewer losses for the moment.

Last edited by Arjay51; 01-23-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:58 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,829,882 times
Quote:
Unemployment is one word, which I'm sure you know from your extensive research on the subject.

So, pulling a collapsed economy back from the brink of depression and reducing job losses every single month by tens of thousands (and even having positive job growth in November) is not enough for a year? The experts have a pretty unified consensus that the stimulus had a significant impact on the economy and will continue to - kept a lot of state and local governments from collapsing and gave tons of tax cuts.

What had Reagan, the icon of conservatism, accomplished in his first year dealing with a collapsed economy? Don't know? Okay. I'll tell you: over 11% unemployment.

It would remain above 10% the first 3 years of Reagan's presidency. So, I guess the end result is simply that you are judging economic recovery prematurely.

Btw - a swing back to more balance between Reps and Dems is destined to happen if history is any indication. Expect big pick-ups in November for Republicans. Just the way politics works.

Thanks for pointing out my typing skills....your sarcasm is noted.

Obama is failing as President and is beginning to come unhinged..his speech looked more like an angry, paranoid, stand up comic than a President.

Gallup has him at 47%, the lowest it has been.

Democrats will lose Congress in November and Michelle will lose her garden in 2012. What is worrisome to many is the continued support of a failed President just because he is Black. The election of Brown in the most liberal state in the country seals Obama's fate. No liberal spin from his worshipers will change it.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:01 PM

23,597 posts, read 17,279,425 times
Default no way, no how

There is no way 51% of Ameicans approve of the job PO is doing. No how, no way.

Partly because he isn't accomplishing anything and partly because the sampling of the population taken, the survey questions and interpretation have to be biased big time.

I would love to see the questions on that survey and the procedure followed. Wonder if they included non voters in that survey? Asking non voters for an opinion is like asking my dog. Aside from the quizzical look the power of those opinions would be worthless. I don't care what the non voters think.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:39 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,416,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
You, of course, never cherry pick a thing.

The only reason you aren't on ignore, is because how much you make me laugh, and that's the gawd's honest truth.
how ironic you of all people should say that...

and for the few obama fanboys and fangirls in here, THE Nile is a river, denial is the reason everyone laughs at you while you're still driving around with your change you got suckered into bumper stickers

Old 01-23-2010, 02:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Funny because a recent Rasmussen poll showed the opposite.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:43 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Neither Reagan nor Clinton threw away a trillion borrowed dollars to create/save/fund make believe jobs or quadrupled the deficit in one year. Reagan stuck to his plan and created the longest peace-time expansion of the economy in US history. Clinton abandoned his radical leftist ways after the 1994 midterms and saved his own political skin. We'll see if Odumbo gets the message.
Bingo! Obama is doing EVERYTHING wrong and destroying the economy with his out of control debt spending. He makes Clinton look brilliant. At least Clinton was smart enough to change with the political winds. I don't think Obama is. His handlers and puppet masters have a very different agenda in mind for us.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Saturday shows that 24% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Forty-three percent (43%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -19 (see trends).

These figures come from nightly telephone surveys and are reported on a three-day rolling average basis. Today’s update is the first based entirely upon interviews following Tuesday’s election in Massachusetts and the Approval Index has fallen eight points since Tuesday morning.

The number of Democrats who Strongly Approve has fallen from 55% on Tuesday morning to 48% today. The number of unaffiliated voters who Strongly Disapprove has increased from 43% on Tuesday to 51% today. It remains to be seen whether those changes are a temporary reaction in the wake of a stunning election upset or the beginning of a more lasting change.
Sixty-one percent (61%) of voters nationwide now say Congress should drop health care and focus on the economy.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, according to my link:
So how does Obama rank compared with his most recent predecessors? George W. Bush's approval rating stood at 83 percent in January 2002, just four months after the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Bill Clinton held a 54 percent approval rating in January 1994. George H.W. Bush stood at 80 percent in January 1990, and 49 percent of the public approved of the job Ronald Reagan was doing in January 1982.
I am not questioning a fellow CA (even if I am not one anymore) just wondered if these are all CNN polls? Of course, as most know I am one that doesn't take polls to seriously unless there are several that agree or the finding are really one sided. A 49 to 50% means little as far as I am concerned. Actually it doesn't make any difference because a CNN poll will always lean left, the same as Rasmussen(spelling) leans to the right.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 01-23-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Actually the polls for "likability" are still quite high for Obama.
Likable isn't the same as total approval of the job....

Nita

Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
As I'm sure you are aware, the presidency is no normal job. Fixing a collapsed economy and two poorly-managed wars is not on a lot of job descriptions.

So, yes, still having a plurality (slim as it may be) in support after the first year is a very good sign - too high and there's only down to go. It's just frustrating to a lot of us independent that you conservatives who bash and bash Obama for poll ratings would probably have defended Reagan for the same.

There's just not a lot of substance to the argument.
now you are going to say two poorly managed wars? What 2 and are they totally the fault of the Republicans or do I dare ask???

You say independents but you mention Reagan, do you have any idea how popular he was with inderpendents for starters. ?? of course you don't or you wouldn't bring his name up.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies