Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 756 times

Advertisements

They were doing a documentary about a jail in upstate NY. There were a lot of blacks, mexicans and you had a lot of ethnic white guys who were mostly Irish, Italians, Polish, Germans, Albanians or Russian Jews from down state, they interviewed a good looking guy who was a Ironworker from a middle class area of Queens, New York who was half Irish half Italian he was measured at 6'1 he had a solid build and broad shoulders, he was born in 1979, had slicked light brown hair and ice blue eyes, a deep voice with a light NYC accent, he had a quiet demeanor. a guy who was booked with was about 6 ft and fat with red hair(He was a little shorter than the other guy, he was born in 1967, English descent, he had a very feminime voice, He said he came from a well to do NH family, He was very Liberal and educated). Most of the ethnic whites are very religious(Catholic or Jewish) and Conservative. He stood in front of the nerdy chubby guy in line to use the phone, nobody bothered him, he didnt even say thank you to the man inmate who handed the phone to him he just nodded. When the Irish - Italian man handed the phone to other guy, the guy said thank you and wasnt as commanding as the rest of the inmates, the Irish Italian man looked like he was enraged, bit his upper lip, stared him down and then elbowed him, the big guy said something and Irish Italian man who was also detoxing from drugs struck him, and called him a "dirty motha fcka(talking with his accent)". They were seperated.

As the documentary went on, it showed this man getting picked on by every race. He was called g-a-y slurs and pushed around.

As he was waiting to get lunch, a black man who was working in the cafeteria was making fun of him in jail talk, he kept saying "I know you from the hood man! I know you! You from Brooklyn right man!"

I know how prisoners are. They didnt know he was in there for attempting to have sex with a teenage girl, so what about his demeanor told them he was a punk?

I am just wondering because I have a very similar quiet but nerdy and naive demeanor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBry94 View Post
I am just wondering because I have a very similar quiet but nerdy and naive demeanor.
Don't get locked up.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBry94 View Post
They were doing a documentary about a jail in upstate NY. There were a lot of blacks, mexicans and you had a lot of ethnic white guys who were mostly Irish, Italians, Polish, Germans, Albanians or Russian Jews from down state, they interviewed a good looking guy who was a Ironworker from a middle class area of Queens, New York who was half Irish half Italian he was measured at 6'1 he had a solid build and broad shoulders, he was born in 1979, had slicked light brown hair and ice blue eyes, a deep voice with a light NYC accent, he had a quiet demeanor. a guy who was booked with was about 6 ft and fat with red hair(He was a little shorter than the other guy, he was born in 1967, English descent, he had a very feminime voice, He said he came from a well to do NH family, He was very Liberal and educated). Most of the ethnic whites are very religious(Catholic or Jewish) and Conservative. He stood in front of the nerdy chubby guy in line to use the phone, nobody bothered him, he didnt even say thank you to the man inmate who handed the phone to him he just nodded. When the Irish - Italian man handed the phone to other guy, the guy said thank you and wasnt as commanding as the rest of the inmates, the Irish Italian man looked like he was enraged, bit his upper lip, stared him down and then elbowed him, the big guy said something and Irish Italian man who was also detoxing from drugs struck him, and called him a "dirty motha fcka(talking with his accent)". They were seperated.

As the documentary went on, it showed this man getting picked on by every race. He was called g-a-y slurs and pushed around.

As he was waiting to get lunch, a black man who was working in the cafeteria was making fun of him in jail talk, he kept saying "I know you from the hood man! I know you! You from Brooklyn right man!"

I know how prisoners are. They didnt know he was in there for attempting to have sex with a teenage girl, so what about his demeanor told them he was a punk?

That was a very, ahh, detailed and vivid description of the young Ironworker you gave (the one with the ice blue eyes).

Interesting first post.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Maybe move this to dating and relationships?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
The same way that you can pick out a weak person in any situation. It's very easy to spot a person whose heart pumps Kool-Aid. In prison, they test you immediately, and if you let it slide, you're marked. It happens just that fast.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Answer: They all went to public schools :-D

Chea Chea!!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
They knew the same way an animal can tell if they are in a situation the are comfortable in or not. The same way one animal looks at another, and can tell they mean harm.

They say it's instinct. It's much more than that. We gather information in any number of ways.

The way a person walks, hold themselves, the look in their eyes, the way someone eats, talks etc. People gather information in MANY ways, and formulate an comprehension based on things without even understanding how. There are people far more knowledgeable in this area than I, and can tall you more about the mechanics of this, all I can do is try to relay what I have read when I first tried to understand this concept myself.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
the look in their eyes,.
It's very simple, if you make eye contact with another man, the first man to look away is the man whose afraid. Maybe he's not weaker, but he's afraid. This is the same with animals, at least dogs.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
These are people that have identified victims their whole lives. It happens very quickly and in a number of ways. The naive people usually don't even know it happened. By the way, there is a lesson in that for all of us as we walk the streets of our communities.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
OP you cant judge every book by its cover. You never can tell. That "Iron worker" could work iron for a pack of cigs, where as the chubby inmate would rather quit than to ask anyone for a "smoke".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies