Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Irshad Manji blog and official website » home

Thumb-suckers or truth-tellers? Racial politics in Obama’s America (http://www.irshadmanji.com/im-thumb-suckers-or-truth-tellers-racial-politics-in-obamas-america - broken link)

Frederick Douglass, the 19th-century African-American visionary, had a warning: “Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without the thunder and lightening; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters.” In the 21st century, those who seek equality without the honest and painful discussion that goes with it might well fall into this category.
On Martin Luther King’s birthday, MSNBC aired “Obama’s America,”a two-hour debate from Texas Southern University. It revolved around race relations in America.

Chris Matthews, the host, asked me point-blank why students voted overwhelmingly for President Obama. I reported what a number of students at New York University had told me: they supported Obama because he’s Black. As I questioned them further, students explained that they wanted to right a historic wrong by ensuring that the land of opportunity would finally have an African-American president.

Irshad Manji blog and official website » Thumb-suckers or truth-tellers? Racial politics in Obama's America (http://www.irshadmanji.com/im-thumb-suckers-or-truth-tellers-racial-politics-in-obamas-america - broken link)

WATCH THE VIDEO:
even if they did, how many older ppl voted for Mccain because he is white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
even if they did, how many older ppl voted for Mccain because he is white?
Obviously not enough to make a one iota of a difference.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Your damn straight they did!

"He sooooo cool"................what a bunch of fools.
Its ironic too that those naive once in a lifetime voters will be paying the highest price for putting the fraud of all frauds in the Whitehouse.

Hopefully none of those college kids so full of wisdom who voted for Obama find jobs after they graduate. Maybe then they will see how ignorant and naive they were to vote for the cool guy.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Regardless of skin color, young people tend to lean more Democrat versus republican as they tend to lean liberal. Honestly, did you really expect young folks to resonate with McCain's message?

I do have to admit that although I personally did not vote for Obama, a part of me was happy he won as it signified progress in race relations to have a black man elected president in a country that has had (and continues to have) racial tensions.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Its ironic too that those naive once in a lifetime voters will be paying the highest price for putting the fraud of all frauds in the Whitehouse.
Karma's a bi*ch!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:35 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Our youth are more idealist and tend toward being more liberal..... Why is this suddenly going to be some sort of over-blown witchhunt? It isn't like this is a new occurence. It just so happened that our youth decided to actually show up to the polls in greater numbers than usual...

No need to make something out of nothing here. The Obama campaign did a fantastic job of reaching our youth via the internet... Game, set, match...

The Obama campaign did a fantastic job of snowing the liberals prone to the groupie hero worship mentality.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:42 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
I actually stood in line to vote along side young people (especially black) who din't even know who our Governor was!
They were truly there only because Obama was black.

How long before this country elects another black man?

Old 01-25-2010, 11:48 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
I think they voted for him primarily because they were told by the Media that that was the young, kicky, with-it thing to do for the pretty, young people....as opposed to the grody old out-of-it thing for the ugly old people, who were going to vote for McCain.

Plus, many were able to scratch their narcissistic itch, by voting for the Black Guy. "I'm such a good person! I voted for the Black Guy!" So, media manipulation, narcissism, Bandwagon Effect...

At our house, after the election, we punished Big Media the only way we knew how: we cancelled cable, neglected to get converter boxes for the boob tubes, did not resubscribe to Vanity Fair....

Personally, I was so sickened by BOTH choices for pres, I stayed home. Could not bring myself to vote for either one. Sarah Palin only made it worse...

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Sharpton View Post
It just goes to show us all the lack of leadership in the Black Communities.

Guys such as Al Sharpton, Charles Wrangle and Jesse Jackson are not helping the black communities at all.

If these guys were leaders the education level of young Blacks would be higher.

Can you NOT respond to any thread without the same BS concerning Messy Jesse and Big Perm. I mean my goodness,

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I actually stood in line to vote along side young people (especially black) who din't even know who our Governor was!
They were truly there only because Obama was black.

How long before this country elects another black man?
Don't know.

On one hand, its pretty hard to become the POTUS. Blacks, possessing a smaller share of the population, do not have a numerical advantage.

On the other hand, Obama, a black man, became President with very little experience and with a few shady characters in the background.

Anything is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies