Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:17 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
remember this thread?
Are blacks really bad tippers?
Yes it's a story that never dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't think that any server is tending to one table per hour. And if they have one table that tips lousy, they will have 5 which did not.

It all evens out in the end, one table you ran around for that tipped poorly is one table out of 10 you served. I think the topic of this thread attempts to make "race" the reason why people are lousy tippers. It's irrelevant. Not all blacks are bad tippers and not all whites are excellent tippers. People just want to make race an issue.

When someone works with the PUBLIC they have to be ready for ANYTHING that comes, and to judge someone based on something as superficial as "race" and attempt to make a correlation between skin pigment being indicative of how someone tips is ludicrous.
My point was that if no one tipped, it wouldn't be much of a job. Servers would be making 2 bucks an hour. So tipping is kind of a responsibility for those who choose to eat out.

Now, as far as the racial issue goes... I will say that when I was a lot younger than I am now, I worked in several tipped positions, and I know that there was a stigma associated with African-Americans (and Europeans, actually.) If your average server has a choice between a table of German tourists, an African American family, or some WASPy Americans, an experienced server will pick the last group every time. Does that make the perception true? Not necessarily. I've gotten some great tips from folks of all races and nationalities. But the stigma definitely exists.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamisland View Post
it's so much easier in a lot of asian countries. they don't expect tips and i've had helpful and friendly cabbies give me back my tip like it was a personal offense.
not in Hong Kong. they gladly take the tips...

Nita

Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 PM

353 posts, read 905,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Which is fine, except for the fact that many people who live on tips are paid accordingly. $2.13 an hour is the federal minumum for servers, and most make right about that amount. That rate has been the same since 1991. The only reason that servers have been able to survive is because of tipping.

So, that job that folks should be happy just to have isn't even worth showing up for if no one tips. Would you work a full day for under 20 bucks?

If you don't believe in tipping, that's cool. Just don't go to a sit-down dinner or have a drink at a bar or (to a lesser extent) order pizza.
Your problem is with the restaurant industry who has allowed this to happen, not with the customers. IMO, it would be a lot more productive to direct the frustration there. So instead of asking "why don't you tip?" how about asking "why do restaurant owners think it's okay to NOT pay their employees?"

I personally hate how tips have become expected because it doesn't help service. It doesn't matter how the service is, people expect a tip. You could be terrible but instead of looking at yourself, you want to blame someone for being black, or cheap, or a tight wad.

And now it's not just the restaurants. If I go to a salon they want to be tipped. I just spent $200, I don't want to pay anything extra. If you need that extra money then add it to your price and don't make me feel like I am being drained.

If I get a coffee, there is their little tip jar. Why do we tip the taxi drivers again? Next we'll be tipping the cashiers at Target.

As for the last comment, that argument could be countered with "don't like that people don't like to tip? Get a job that actually pays or start lobbying for some changes". That mostly applies to restaurants. Everyone else needs to stop being so greedy, or just raise your prices and leave this tip business alone.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I agree. The whole tipping nonsense has gotten out of hand in America. When feasible, I try to just take my food to go so I can avoid the whole tipping issue as it takes the joy out of the dining experience.
ok, you resent the tipping, but what about the countries that add an auto service charge? Which is better, tipping or being forced to pay? Now, there is still another option, the restaurants can up their prices and pay their help better, but again, we are still paying for it. What about the cruise ships that now charge a mandatory $10 to $13 a day per person tips? Would you go to the purser and demand they remove that from your billl?

Nita

Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
that's because in france they mandate a 15% gratuity on your restaurant bill

I don't think it has as much to do with their race as it does their socio-economic status.
Excuse me, there socio-economic status? What a load of bull. If you have money to go out and eat, you better have money for a decent tip. That's what my parents instilled in me, as I do my own children. Don't wanna tip, go to Chipotle.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Let's keep it simple.

When you are in OR are brought up in an environment where money is tight and you tend to hold on to every cent you have in order to eat and pay the bills - you are not used to giving out extra money - especially when you never get extra money.

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Black and Indian people are terrible tippers.

Hispanic people and gay men are great tippers.

For all of those who don't see the big deal about tipping, go work as a server for one day. Just one.

Tipping is part of eating out a restaurant. I don't tip servers who don't do their jobs, but those who do them well, I tip, usually on the order of 25%-30%.

Don't take your frustrations at being asked to tip everywhere out on hard-working servers. If you aren't going to tip well, don't eat out.

I'm not saying tip automatically. I tip very well for servers who do their jobs well, but I am not shy about letting a bad waiter know it, either.

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Excuse me, there socio-economic status? What a load of bull. If you have money to go out and eat, you better have money for a decent tip.
"Decent" is a relative term.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Your problem is with the restaurant industry who has allowed this to happen, not with the customers. IMO, it would be a lot more productive to direct the frustration there. So instead of asking "why don't you tip?" how about asking "why do restaurant owners think it's okay to NOT pay their employees?"

I personally hate how tips have become expected because it doesn't help service. It doesn't matter how the service is, people expect a tip. You could be terrible but instead of looking at yourself, you want to blame someone for being black, or cheap, or a tight wad.

And now it's not just the restaurants. If I go to a salon they want to be tipped. I just spent $200, I don't want to pay anything extra. If you need that extra money then add it to your price and don't make me feel like I am being drained.

If I get a coffee, there is their little tip jar. Why do we tip the taxi drivers again? Next we'll be tipping the cashiers at Target.

As for the last comment, that argument could be countered with "don't like that people don't like to tip? Get a job that actually pays or start lobbying for some changes". That mostly applies to restaurants. Everyone else needs to stop being so greedy, or just raise your prices and leave this tip business alone.

It's a flawed system, to be sure, but it's the system that exists. Tipping is simply the 'done' thing, and until it isn't, and until service employees are paid accordingly, it should be factored into the cost of eating out by those who CHOOSE to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies