Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well actually, two people splitting a meal is more work than if one person were eating that one dish. Usually when there is a situation of sharing an entree, instead of the plate getting placed in front of one person, that plate is placed in the middle of the table family-style and extra plates are bought. In your case, instead of one water glass to be filled, there would be two water glasses to maintain etc... And the cleanup is also more effort for that one dinner than if only one person were seated at that table.

Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
If I or anyone else wishes to go out to eat, all we need to worry about is whether we have enough to pay the tab. Tipping is optional and contingent upon good service. No good service, no tip.

I think we can just change all of your posts to "I have a giant chip on my shoulder and am stingy and cheap and rude to waiters" and it would equal out to the same.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I think we can just change all of your posts to "I have a giant chip on my shoulder and am stingy and cheap and rude to waiters" and it would equal out to the same.
I don't think I've ever been rude to a waiter in all the times I've dined out, not even to the rude waitress who slamed my drink on the table for no apparent reason. That was the only time I've visited that establishment. If I'm not happy with their service, I just don't tip or tip a small amount.

I think we all know who the servers are who have huge entitlement mentalities and egos ... you KNOW who you are!

Old 01-28-2010, 02:35 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
I just wish the restaurant industry would call these so-called "tips" what they really are, a GRATUITY. If restaurants were HONEST maybe, just maybe their servers wouldn't get stiffed so much.

What restaurants could do is charge a 10% gratuity on all bills and let people tip whatever the hell they want without the condemnation.

I'll say it again. If servers EXPECT some extra cash from me, then it isn't a damn tip!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
I think it usually says "gratuity" on the credit card slip to be signed. Arguing over whether it should be called a gratuity or a tip seems a little pedantic to me ... we all know in essence it's the same exact thing.

Most people wish that restaurants just paid servers a fair living wage and did away with tipping altogether. I am one of those people. But until they do, I will tip the servers who work hard to earn it and ridicule the stingy chiselers who use excuse after excuse to justify their thrift.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Good service and a good tip go hand in hand.

However, I believe the increase in the number of restaurants that add an "automatic tip to parties of 6 or more" are doing so because of an increase in the number of non-tipping patrons. Businesses find it hard to keep employees if they're not making money. And even in this economy $2.13/hour with no tips is no real reason to be happy to have a job.
True. The restaurants hardly pay a pauper's wage. Most of those people waiting on your table live off those tips.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Seriously?
Yes. Are you?

Of course, each customer takes a certain minimum amount of attention and effort... unless you and your wife want to also share one set of silverware, china, and drink from the same water glass. And even then, that one water glass will need to be refilled twice as often.

BTW another way to p*ss off your waiter and the restaurant is to linger at your table for hours, and not let them turn it over for more seatings.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:35 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Gratuities are added to large party checks for a few reasons. One, it makes it easier for everyone to split up their share of the bill equally. Two, when it comes time for large parties to split the bill and pony up individual shares, some people tend to neglect tax and/or tip when figuring their share, which often results in a pile of money that is barely enough to pay the bill, much less leave a gratuity. Third, an automatic gratuity ensures that a server doesn't spend a whole shift serving one large party for free while losing opportunities to serve smaller parties at a faster pace.

Servers in most restaurants are expected to split their tips with the hostess and the bussers at the end of the night. The person who seats you, the other person who refills your water, brings you more chips, etc ... they all take home a share of the tip that is left for your server.

And no, I am not a server. But I was in college, and my daughter is now. It's hard work, and customers can be unbelievably demanding in restaurants. Sure, people have the choice to not work there ... but if they didn't, who would?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,396 times
As a former server, I now tip all service pros (bartender, food server, hair stylist, and so on) 20%. It keeps things simple.

The tips you give that college age person may be paying for books.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
As a former server, I now tip all service pros (bartender, food server, hair stylist, and so on) 20%. It keeps things simple.

The tips you give that college age person may be paying for books.
Exactly. I understand there are some people posting who feel they should be "waited on" for free. I wonder if they tip their hairstylist? How about the concierge at a hotel? But, somehow they feel servers don't deserve to be rewarded for great service? Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies