Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
If you can't afford to tip, then don't go out to eat.
And if a waiter can't be friendly and provide good service, he or she shouldn't be in the service industry. It's not their job to racially profile and provide mediocre service because they assume someone might not tip well.

I listen to ESPN's Colin Cowherd and he was discussing poor service in restaurants. Apparently, if you split a dish then waiters expect you to tip as if each of you ordered that dish for yourself. So if you split a $30 dish, you are expected to tip as if you ordered 2 $30 dishes or $60. This is the example of the sense of entitlement that some waiters have today and why service in restaurants is worse than what it was in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,950,313 times
I guess its not a dirty secret...when I waited tables or bartended I cringed when I got a table full of blacks. Not in all cases, but I'd say 80% or more left 10% or less for a gratuity. If it was a group of women I'd be happy to get 5%, and this was usually after running my a$$ off for this high maintenance group.

I know a number of industry people today and they have a similar opinion. On a similar note that group had the fewest people in the industry it seemed.

Last edited by Oildog; 01-27-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 01:07 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,434,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
And if a waiter can't be friendly and provide good service, he or she shouldn't be in the service industry. It's not their job to racially profile and provide mediocre service because they assume someone might not tip well.

I listen to ESPN's Colin Cowherd and he was discussing poor service in restaurants. Apparently, if you split a dish then waiters expect you to tip as if each of you ordered that dish for yourself. So if you split a $30 dish, you are expected to tip as if you ordered 2 $30 dishes or $60. This is the example of the sense of entitlement that some waiters have today and why service in restaurants is worse than what it was in the past.

I never advocated rewarding poor service.

I will tip on the bill, before any gift cards or coupons are applied. If my wife and I split a $30 dish, they will get tipped on $30. It's not like they had to double the work.

I am pretty low-maintenance, and I tip high for waiters that do well. Conversely, as I am easy to please, if you **** me off, you won't get much at all, just enough to let you know that I didn't forget to tip, the service just didn't deserve a tip.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,428,761 times
Great post!! You hit the nail on the head. I repped you, but had to let you know again!

Quote:
Certain races might be poor tippers but many waiters racially profile and provide poor service assuming you will not tip well based on your race. They are not rude but they do the least possible and are not really that friendly. I'm Asian Indian but was born and raised here. I know many Indians in my parents' generation are poor tippers but that is largely a cultural issue because in India, you are not asked to tip and thus my parents generation typically tip 10-15%. Our generation is obviously not like that because we are familiar with the custom of tipping 20% but we still get treated poorly because they just assume we are like our parents. In fact, I feel like I have to over tip at times to send a message that my generation does tip well and to provide good service the next time I come in to that restaurant.

Unless you are a minority, you don't really understand this concept.It's always a crapshoot with regards to receiving service. You just hope you don't get that racist server who is going to profile you. And I know this is somewhat true because I have white friends who are servers and they admitted that some of their fellow servers do harbor these attitudes. And I notice the difference in service if I'm dining with white people. I'm assuming that many of the waiters on this thread probably treat Black people differently assuming they won't tip well. All you are doing is reinforcing that stereotype because if you provide them with bad service, they probably won't tip well.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,428,761 times
Great post as well. That's a great observation.

Quote:

Old 01-27-2010, 06:01 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,801,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Did you quote me on purpose? I never said there were any facts. The guy before me said some nonsense about 2/3 of Black people not tipping. I said that 9/10 of made-up statistics like that are wrong. Just making a point. Direct your ire elsewhere, ma'am.
Yes, I did. I was agreeing with your point, sir.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM

768 posts, read 943,892 times
My sister waits tables. She says everyone, including the black waitstaff, swears a solid two minutes when blacks enter the restaurant.

The psuedo-justifications in this thread were pretty funny. They are not cheap, they are "thrifty," and they don't have money from the white oppressor.

I knew this kind of stupidity was echoed on TV by people who make money saying it, but I didn't know people actually believed it. That's why I loved internet forums. I would have never known these types of justifications were actually used by real people in the real world.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
My sister waits tables. She says everyone, including the black waitstaff, swears a solid two minutes when blacks enter the restaurant.
That's just another reason to be against the tipping system. Restaurants and other businesses that expect customers to subsidize their employees' wages are getting a sweet deal - too sweet, in my opinion.

Of course, people who sign up for those jobs know what they're getting into, so perhaps they should just accept that occasionally they're going to have to wait on people they don't like.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
If you can't afford to tip, then don't go out to eat.
If I or anyone else wishes to go out to eat, all we need to worry about is whether we have enough to pay the tab. Tipping is optional and contingent upon good service. No good service, no tip.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,305,845 times
Basically when you get into food service, you give us carte blanche to treat you like ****. Hell, you're making me a sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies