Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,392,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Your right; I forgot to include that:

States ranked by rates of abortion among women age 15-19 (pregnancies per thousand):

New Jersey (47)
New York (46)
Maryland (38)
Nevada (36)
California (36)
Hawaii (34)
Florida (33)
Delaware (31)
Connecticut (30)
Illinois (27)
Top Ten States with Highest Teenage Abortion Rates

I'm just saying; don't judge the southerners when you guys having issues much more serious than ours. Abortion is a much more serious problem than Teen pregnancy.
Quote:
It's funny how these people talk down on us "backwards" southerners, but when they are called out; they want to play the victim lol
When did I make a comment about Southerners? The MSNBC article was named by itself, and the relevant CDC (you know, based in Atlanta) page that it was found with. I was only addressing this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780
Or it could be the issue of illegal immigration. Mississippi being the exception.

Which I later proved to be erroneous. Illegal immigration is correlated, but not causing teenage pregnancy, unless you don't understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good job weaseling out of the initial issue at hand (teenage pregnancies) and throwing a red-herring (abortions).

I only speak for myself and my own observations, but I notice most of the Californians on this forum aren't the biggest homers in the world (with the exception of a few posters). We always have to defend ourselves from others, from up-and coming areas (like Texas and the rest of the South) wanting to see us self-implode so they can claim to be the top OR from people from the Northeast. It's not cool to revel in other people's misery, no matter who it is. You're a horrible person for even asserting that 'our problems' (which means California) are worse than 'your problems' because of some notion of regional supremacy. Why can't they both be addressed with some sort of equity without taking into regard regionalisms when this is a trans-regional issue?

Teenage pregnancies is a national problem, not a simple state problem. I have no opinion on abortion because I'm not a woman.

If you refuse to recognize the common problem at hand by throwing out petty, off-handed remarks, go right ahead. Thanks for being a hypocrite by asking others not to judge the South, while judging California.

If you want to call me a California homer, fine. But at least I recognize that California has problems as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,246,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1
San Francisco has been trying to push their "morals" on people for years
Oh i see, thanks for telling me. Is that supposed to mean that myself and every resident here pushes our morals on others like a few lame politicians do? Some sort of association thing? Or does it mean that the city of San Francisco breaks it's foundations and takes trips hundreds of miles to have giant anti-abortion rallies in it's perceived enemies faces? (oh wait that was the thousands of pro-lifers who came here and clogged up traffic in SF last week, just so that they could shove pictures of aborted fetuses in people's faces and compare abortion to nazi death camps). You wanna know something? I had a girlfriend who was raped and impregnated at the age of 16. She had an abortion. Anyone who self-righteously tries to tell me that abortion is murder "PERIOD," or akin to Nazi atrocities deserves a punch in the throat. But...even though i support the right to abortion, i can actually understand and respect to a degree why some people are against it, especially in the case of religion. Just don't come at me disrespectfully with your views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780
It's funny how these people talk down on us "backwards" southerners, but when they are called out; they want to play the victim lol
I never called anyone backwards. Neither did anyone else. You are the only person to have used the word "backwards" so far in this thread...Projecting your insecurities? Now that you mention it though, yes i do consider your view on abortion backwards. I do not necessarily consider YOU backwards though (i don't know you), and i don't consider southerners backwards either. I don't generalize people based on location, unlike some here.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:21 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,106,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Oh i see, thanks for telling me. Is that supposed to mean that myself and every resident here pushes our morals on others like a few lame politicians do? Some sort of association thing? Or does it mean that the city of San Francisco breaks it's foundations and takes trips hundreds of miles to have giant anti-abortion rallies in it's perceived enemies faces? (oh wait that was the thousands of pro-lifers who came here and clogged up traffic in SF last week, just so that they could shove pictures of aborted fetuses in people's faces and compare abortion to nazi death camps). You wanna know something? I had a girlfriend who was raped and impregnated at the age of 16. She had an abortion. Anyone who self-righteously tries to tell me that abortion is murder "PERIOD," or akin to Nazi atrocities deserves a punch in the throat. But...even though i support the right to abortion, i can actually understand and respect to a degree why some people are against it, especially in the case of religion. Just don't come at me disrespectfully with your views.

I never called anyone backwards. Neither did anyone else. You are the only person to have used the word "backwards" so far in this thread...Projecting your insecurities? Now that you mention it though, yes i do consider your view on abortion backwards. I do not necessarily consider YOU backwards though (i don't know you), and i don't consider southerners backwards either. I don't generalize people based on location, unlike some here.

Sorry about your friend...

That is the only time I can sympathize with an abortion. "Convenience" abortions are what I am referring to

Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 AM

481 posts, read 1,819,248 times
...waits for the lock...

By the way, that chart doesn't make sense. Texas & New Mexico have higher abortion rates than Minnesota, North Dakota & Vermont, which have higher abortion rates than Mississippi and South Carolina. There isn't even correlation, let alone provable causation. Could we get back to the OP's original question?

Here's my take: in the communities with low teen pregnancy rates, people have strong support networks, high expectations from others they care about, and the ability to realize their goals (money, education, etc). In the communities with high teen pregnancy rates those support networks are either missing or under severe stress, and they don't see a bright future for themselves for various reasons. Teens often have babies because something is missing in their lives.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,145,801 times
Although the title is focused on "teen pregnancy," the majority of posts in the thread are focused on abortion. Abortion is way too contentious an issue to be discussed in General US without controversy. Please follow the discussion to the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,962,309 times
Quote:
I wonder why??? Oh wait I know, because all 3 of those rank in the top for the highest abortion rates. At least people in the south have the decency to the own up to their mistakes and take responsibility.

Isn't New York named the "Abortion Capital of the World"?? I'm just saying.....

I don't care if NY is the abortion capital. I've never heard that though. I'd rather people abort a pregnancy if they aren't ready. I think that's putting the baby first if they aren't ready financially or mentally. Half of my students' parents weren't ready to have a baby, and they would have been better off since they can't afford it and were too young.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,467,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you have an explanation for that?
Yeah they come to our country and have their anchor babies!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,283,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Sadly, abortion is legal in all 50 states.
Sadly?

Umm no.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,283,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
So true. Abortion is cold-blooded murder, and there is NEVER ANY excuse for it.
Tell that to your daughter after she was raped.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,677,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Bible Belt states always rank high in teen pregnancies which makes sense considering the region is the epicenter of the "abstinence only" movement. The states with the lowest rates are some of the most highly educated states with a high percentage of the population that have graduated high school as well as college.
I find it interesting that Vermont and New Hampshire just came out in a Pew survey as the least religious states and yet we are also at the bottom for teenage pregnancy. Maybe all that Bible thumping isn't really helping people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies