Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,338,593 times

Advertisements

I've often felt that this has been the most politically contentious era of modern history. I thought that the nation was polarized under Clinton and Bush, but Obama takes the cake on this one.

Quote:
PRINCETON, NJ -- The 65 percentage-point gap between Democrats' (88%) and Republicans' (23%) average job approval ratings for Barack Obama is easily the largest for any president in his first year in office, greatly exceeding the prior high of 52 points for Bill Clinton.

Obama's Approval Most Polarized for First-Year President

What an accomplishment. I wonder if he will tout that at the SOTU address on Wednesday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,709,358 times
It's not surprising. When Presidents try to make big changes, they risk angering a lot of people.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,329,658 times
Does not surprise me that he is almost 3 times worse then the second worse President ever in Jim Carter.

Let the excuses begin.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,088,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Does not surprise me that he is almost 3 times worse then the second worse President ever in Jim Carter.

Let the excuses begin.
I see it as 3 times better. The fact Republicans hate him this much means he's doing something right. Add in the fact Republicans are getting out of touch (see the new found hate for Progressives) and I smell an easy re-election barring a disaster or Karl Rove-like intervention.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,597,632 times
I'm more interested in what independents think of them. I already know what the partisan wingnuts think. Seriously. Democrats support Obama and Republicans don't? There's a news flash.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:20 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,329,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I see it as 3 times better. The fact Republicans hate him this much means he's doing something right. Add in the fact Republicans are getting out of touch (see the new found hate for Progressives) and I smell an easy re-election barring a disaster or Karl Rove-like intervention.

Out of touch!

Wow, amazing that you believe the rep are out of touch.

Are you paying any attention to who is really out of touch?

I do not see an easy election coming so you have no clue.

Dems have a way to suck up gullible people who have no clue an those people get to vote.

Come on with Acorn and Obamas plan to allow millions of illegals in to vote who knows what will happen.

The TRUTH KILLS DEMOCRITS badly.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,088,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Out of touch!

Wow, amazing that you believe the rep are out of touch.

Are you paying any attention to who is really out of touch?

I do not see an easy election coming so you have no clue.

Dems have a way to suck up gullible people who have no clue an those people get to vote.

Considering they now have this strange revised belief that progressives are out to destroy America, saying they're out of touch is putting it nicely. And based on your clear and immature bias your opinion counts for next to nothing.

Quote:
Come on with Acorn and Obamas plan to allow millions of illegals in to vote who knows what will happen.

The TRUTH KILLS DEMOCRITS badly.
And the list of excuses begins (or just repeats itself begining from last Jan)

Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,709,358 times
The OP's headline is a bit misleading. It says "the most polarizing President in history". Yes, but that's for the first year only. If you look at Gallup's list of Presidents throughout their full terms at the bottom of that page, George W. Bush was the most polarizing.

We can't really judge Obama in the same way since he still has at least three years left.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,560,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I've often felt that this has been the most politically contentious era of modern history. I thought that the nation was polarized under Clinton and Bush, but Obama takes the cake on this one.

The reason for the extreme polarization today is the rise of rightwing extremism.

And they, in turn, use a tried and true tactic: Accuse others of which you are guilty

Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM

639 posts, read 1,144,078 times
The State of the Union should be a lot of this: "For the last decade we have watched the decline of America", "My predecessor took eight years to destroy this country you can't expect me to fix it in one year!!", "Bush, period", "It's not my fault, I'm just here to pick up the pieces and show you all how you are not smart enough to know the answers". This disaster will NEVER take responsibility...in three more years his campaign cry will be that the last four years were not "MY" fault and that the ghost of George W. Bush is still inhabiting the White House!!!!! When does it become "Lord Obama's" problem??? When is HE held accountable?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies