Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,358,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Agreed ... harborlady ! Lamar
Lamar if you ever get a chance to read Madison's book that is his notes about the daily meetings you will find that they had their fists pointed at each other almost daily. Near fights all the time at the Constitutional Convention. It is a rather boring tome but it does have its very interesting parts about the arguments that took place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,819,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see that you haven't heard what Juan McCain said on Fox a couple of weeks ago. He said for all the good we have been allowed to do we would have been better served to have set up a tent and sold Persian rugs while Dirty Harry wrote the health insurance reform bill. GOP Senators were totally locked out of Reid's office while that thing was written. How many Senators do you think had any idea what was in that thing? No more than 5 or the 100, I am sure.
Respect goes a long way Roys. McCain is a statesman even if you disagree with him on issues. He only gets my smack in the head when he steps out of line with the statesmanship. The issue at hand is not served by grandstanding or muscling tactics or smarmy back room deals. I'll blast at either party sucking up to special interest.

The problem is the R's ARE the larger evil every time they stoop to nasty tricks like the nonsense stall tactics for Franken. Taking the high road and presenting a better plan would be a much welcome refreshing change. As things stand in the legislative branch I'm forced to rely upon Dems for conservative balance because I can find NONE in the republican camp. Instead we have nattering yap dogs in the habit of obfuscation. LUDDITES. Go ahead and read up about them. It's scary.

This forum represents just how poor a job GOP leads R's. Their conduct in congress & senate is another example. Wishing my country to fail because you aren't in power? Wishing my senator death to 'win' your side? Give me a break!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I am simply in amazement that comments like this don't get the attention they deserve on this forum.

To sit there and blame complete inactivity in the congress on the republicans while painting the democrats as simply wanting republican involvment and thus holding up bills is comical. The democrats didn't want fox news in the white house, they didn't want republicans to provide input into the bill until they raised a stink. Then democrats said "well whats your input 'party of no'".

The GOP has had their plan posted on their website for quite some time now. Its there for all to see. We all know they aren't going to be invited to committee to review the currents bills or provide input, but to claim that they are stopping the show is absolutely 100% BS.

Painting the democrats as a bunch of helpless bi-partisan victims. CLASSIC.
I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at that post and how really silly it was. I am glad that I am not the only one that took exception to the silliness of it.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
You can not in all sanity be serious. If so, then I will applaud your immediate and vigorous action to write your Senator to have the majority of bills and legislation created during the previous administration REPEALED AND OVERTURNED.

What you seem to forget, is that we have a democratic legislative process in our Republic. The party in power...gets to make the bills and then invite the minority party...or the PARTY NOT IN POWER...to offer amendments and suggestions as how to improve and/or work in a bipartisan way to work for the representation of their parties goals/fundamentals within the framework of the legislative process. Now, the minority party may also provide and initiate the same process...however since they are in the minority they do not get to set the agenda or the time/place they are marked up for vote. Hence, the idea that they are the minority party.

Your arguments are moot. They don't even make sense if you're not going to argue for the previous legislation to be overturned for teh same reasons.

And you republican's are not the party of 'NO'. Quite to the contrary.

You're the party of 'NEVER' and head in the sand 'must have it my way'. partisans. However, that's not the way the founding fathers and the framework of our Republic work. Or is that under review now as well since it doesn't fit into your view of how the world should be right of center?

Now who's the activists'?
I don't know what you consider to be founders but I say it should be Framers which would be those who wrote the Constitution. They really had no idea that our parties would be so vehement in dealing with each other. They knew only about the way they argued, often to the point of using fists, and then got together. Yep, they had a majority and a minority on most questions and yet managed to get things done.

You need to find somewhere else to read other than MediaMatters and HuffPo so you can see that other things go on.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
And I read GOP plan, and it's grossly inefficient. It also fails to address root cause issues of why we're having astronomical costs imposed upon us above and beyond all other nations on the planet. So they are for all intents/ purposes veritably empty handed. No right winger on this forum has made an effort to point out the wisdom in their own plans proposed. I'd love to hear it, not to poke holes or make swiss cheese, but to encourage a better plan to arise with constructive criticism in mind.

As for bolded portion, FOX can do nothing more than heckle and incite disruptions. The tactics are not appropriate and I resent their attitude and presence undermining my government. The only fair and balanced source of media delivery is Cspan, who goes to pains to be unobtrusive. I strongly disagree that they should be closed out of sessions. I'm left wondering if the negotiations are stalled because legislators are busy policing themselves or if lobbyists want their turn to influence. Blaming the closed media sessions on a vast conspiracy against citizens... prove it.
Would these lobbyists be the people that Obama said wouldn't be allowed in DC after he became President? Somehow I think they are. They must have kicked in a pile of money to be left in business from the way he sounded.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Respect goes a long way Roys. McCain is a statesman even if you disagree with him on issues. He only gets my smack in the head when he steps out of line with the statesmanship. The issue at hand is not served by grandstanding or muscling tactics or smarmy back room deals. I'll blast at either party sucking up to special interest.

The problem is the R's ARE the larger evil every time they stoop to nasty tricks like the nonsense stall tactics for Franken. Taking the high road and presenting a better plan would be a much welcome refreshing change. As things stand in the legislative branch I'm forced to rely upon Dems for conservative balance because I can find NONE in the republican camp. Instead we have nattering yap dogs in the habit of obfuscation. LUDDITES. Go ahead and read up about them. It's scary.

This forum represents just how poor a job GOP leads R's. Their conduct in congress & senate is another example. Wishing my country to fail because you aren't in power? Wishing my senator death to 'win' your side? Give me a break!
Now lets see you tear into the parts of my post. The only bad thing I said about McCain was calling him Juan and soon the Dems will start trying to amnesty all those illegal aliens and he will be pushing right with them. Do you know much about how hard he tried to get those people anmestied in 2006 when the REpublicans were still in control of the House and defeated the 77 Senators that voted for it. Every Dem, all 44 of them, voted for amnesty because Dirty Harry wanted to make things as tough for the GOP as he could.

When McCain stops acting like a RINO I will stop calling him names like Juan.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,729,063 times
Default Partisan politics

Blame the Republicans. Oh wait. Blame the Democrats. Blah blah blah. It's all wasted energy. Blame ourselves and our own indifference, selfishness and greed? Now you're talking. Do any of these parties really represent any of us? Maybe at some ideological level but do any of them really follow those ideologies?

Like Chris Rock said..."We (USA) worship money. That is our church."

Speaking of money...as long as the election is privately funded, we, the little guys, will probably never be properly represented.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:21 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,692,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Please see above posts to completely and utterly refute and destroy your incorrect position.

thank you.
Not only are you a partisan hack, but also ignorant to the fact that you are wrong. Your holier-than-thou attitude is the kind of thing that lost the democrats seat in Mass., and will be the same reason democrats lose control of congress in the near future.

Keep it up.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:24 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,116,167 times
Quote:
I am simply in amazement that comments like this don't get the attention they deserve on this forum.

To sit there and blame complete inactivity in the congress on the republicans while painting the democrats as simply wanting republican involvment and thus holding up bills is comical. The democrats didn't want fox news in the white house, they didn't want republicans to provide input into the bill until they raised a stink. Then democrats said "well whats your input 'party of no'".

The GOP has had their plan posted on their website for quite some time now. Its there for all to see. We all know they aren't going to be invited to committee to review the currents bills or provide input, but to claim that they are stopping the show is absolutely 100% BS.

Painting the democrats as a bunch of helpless bi-partisan victims. CLASSIC.
The Democrat's didn't want a TV network in the whitehouse? That's your stink?

Again, obviously you don't know how a democracy in a Republic works, or you would be calling for all legislation of the previous administration that was not "bi-partisan" in your neo-modern definition to be repealed.

I've seen the GOP plan posted on their website...ALL 9 PAGES OF IT in total. That is a complete and laughable "plan" for America...9 pages for all the ills that affect us. And you wonder why America threw you guys out of office. It's been showed and proven the GOP has been invited and asked to come to the committee's and that their amendments have even been adopted to the bills that were passed so far. so your assertion that they haven't is complete and utter BS, topped with dementia.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,116,167 times
Quote:
Not only are you a partisan hack, but also ignorant to the fact that you are wrong. Your holier-than-thou attitude is the kind of thing that lost the democrats seat in Mass., and will be the same reason democrats lose control of congress in the near future.

Keep it up.
Ouch. You've hurt me. LOL...a partisan hack. Can you say pot meet kettle? I'm wrong...I'm sorry but your obviously not only wrong but have your head stuck in the sand as well. It has been documented again and again, over and over, but you continuing to say 'it's not true' simply does not make it so.

The Dem's lost the seat in MA simply b/c they thought they could run a empty suit and still win. They were wrong. Just like they thought Republicans would actually engage in trying to help run the country through bipartisan negotiations and legislation that is good for the country.

Will Dem's lose the congress in the near future, probably, and I hope they do. However, your attempts to attack and fling bile around are about all the ideas you have, and are representative of the last 8 years.

good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies