Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I believe the BBC is on to something here:

BBC News - Why do people often vote against their own interests?

It's not just "they're stupid", many disenfranchised people of all stripes simply do not trust the government to do anything right, and thus any attempt at health care reform will be shot down.

I personally find it hilarious that people who would benefit from this greatly are by and large against a bill which would provide health care insurance. Oh well. I don't care anymore. Be poorer and in worse health. You dug your own grave. And the more well-off social conservatives dug it too.
You have to remember a few things about those on the far-right. Their priorities are not the same as everyone else's. Based upon years of unfortunate contact with these types, their priorities usually go in the following order from most important to least important:

1) Reducing the rights and freedoms of "those people" (minorities, gays, women, people of other faiths, the poor, etc.)

2) Guns, and lots of them (but only for people just like them - minorities who are armed can be shot on sight if you "feel threatened" by them.)

3) War and other general violence (Turning the Middle East to glass, killing "those people" overseas, etc.)

4) Reducing all aspects of government (aside from monitoring the bedroom, limiting other faiths, social programs that THEY use, such as Medicare and Social Security, etc.)

5) Everything else (the economy, education, infrastructure, etc.)

When you look at their voting pattern through the lens of the above order of priorities, it makes a lot more sense. This is why they will vote for a lunatic who has no economic plan but who loudly hates "those people." This is why they will gladly support massive government cuts even if countless jobs are lost. And this is why they will NOT support the ACA - it grants healthcare to "those people" - the poor, minorities in particular, which they cannot stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Welfare

"With one out of five children currently living in poverty and more than 100,000 families with children now homeless, Gilens's book is must reading if you want to understand how the mainstream media have helped justify, and even produce, this state of affairs."

Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
I believe the BBC is on to something here:

BBC News - Why do people often vote against their own interests?

It's not just "they're stupid", many disenfranchised people of all stripes simply do not trust the government to do anything right, and thus any attempt at health care reform will be shot down.

I personally find it hilarious that people who would benefit from this greatly are by and large against a bill which would provide health care insurance. Oh well. I don't care anymore. Be poorer and in worse health. You dug your own grave. And the more well-off social conservatives dug it too.
Being poor is a transitional phase, it doesn't define who you are, and does not determine who you will be your entire life.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
You have to remember a few things about those on the far-right. Their priorities are not the same as everyone else's. Based upon years of unfortunate contact with these types, their priorities usually go in the following order from most important to least important:

1) Reducing the rights and freedoms of "those people" (minorities, gays, women, people of other faiths, the poor, etc.)

2) Guns, and lots of them (but only for people just like them - minorities who are armed can be shot on sight if you "feel threatened" by them.)

3) War and other general violence (Turning the Middle East to glass, killing "those people" overseas, etc.)

4) Reducing all aspects of government (aside from monitoring the bedroom, limiting other faiths, social programs that THEY use, such as Medicare and Social Security, etc.)

When you look at their voting pattern through the lens of the above order of priorities, it makes a lot more sense. This is why they will vote for a lunatic who has no economic plan but who loudly hates "those people." This is why they will gladly support massive government cuts even if countless jobs are lost. And this is why they will NOT support the ACA - it grants healthcare to "those people" - the poor, minorities in particular, which they cannot stand.

That is hilarious! You just quoted the Progressive manifesto.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:30 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Why do poor conservatives vote against social policies that would benefit them?
I am more a libertarian, but I would be classified as poor by US standards. I can, however, answer only for myself. But I'm sure there are others, both libertarian and conservative, who are poor that would feel pretty much the same.

It's really quite simple: I don't want a free handout because I have no claim on other people's labor/time, nor should I. Their time is their own and that's exactly the way it should be. I also believe that people should be free to be as charitable as they wish, but it should never be coerced.

That's why I would never vote for "social policies" that would provide me a free handout (it's not a benefit--a benefit is something that one gets due to one's own labors and time). And, that is why, even though I could get a free handout right now today, I do not and will not.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

Based on actually being one of these far right types myself, I can say you're completely wrong. All you're doing is regurgitating MSNBC talking points and presenting them as some sort of insight you have into the conservative mind. The only insight you have is waiting to hear what Rachel Maddow has to say so you can parrot it back.
Quote:
Again, you're completely wrong. I vote the way I do because I want government to stay out of the lives of private citizens and operate within a balanced budget. That's it. All your speculation about racism and such may give you a nice feeling of moral superiority but it has no basis in reality.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:42 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
All your speculation about racism and such may give you a nice feeling of moral superiority but it has no basis in reality.
Actually what he/she is doing is calling on a Sacred Cow in order to win an argument that he cannot do logically. Just another of the multitude of logical fallacies around here.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
I call BS.

There was a proposal to implement a non-profit system of PRIVATE COMPANIES WHO THE GOVERNMENT HELPS START UP. NOTHING MORE. Sh*t you people who spew the same garbage as your idiot conservative radio talk show hosts must not have brains. Go read a book.,

Oh well then, if that's all...WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

"Let’s begin with the status quo. The taxpayer rescue of Fannie and Freddie in September 2008 has cost $137 billion so far. While this has been paid down from an initial $187.5 billion, taxpayers aren’t likely to get their money back anytime soon. Last fall, the regulator charged with overseeing Fannie and Freddie estimated that the taxpayer bill for the companies could be $200 billion by the end of 2015."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/bu...anted=all&_r=0

SEC puts faces on Fannie-Freddie scandal - MarketWatch

"Last week, Fannie Mae and its former auditor agreed to pay $153 million to settle a lawsuit in which a group of Ohio pension funds alleged that they were defrauded by Fannie Mae’s long-ago conduct.
But Fannie Mae, the giant housing finance company, was taken over by the government at the height of the financial crisis in 2008 and remains a ward of the state. It has received billions of dollars of taxpayer support. Is Fannie Mae’s half of the $153 million settlement the latest insult and injury to taxpayers?"

Taxpayers Could Foot Bill For Fannie Mae Fraud Settlement - Forbes

"[SIZE=2]The SEC alleges that the corporation engaged in an accounting fraud from 2000 to 2002. The manipulation of earnings occurred by incorrectly accounting for various derivative instruments of the firm as well as manipulating the accounting for loan origination costs and reserves for losses."

Freddie Mac's Scandal and the SEC's Judgment

Fannie Mae exec fired amid kickback scandal - Los Angeles Times

Freddie Mac scandals began during Emanuel's watch - chicagotribune.com

[/SIZE]

Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
How did you survive in that communistic Library system. Getting books for free how disgusting.

Free books are easy, but library books aren't free books.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Key words here are "Government helps start up." I said you would not understand and you certainly do not. Health care should be a personal thing and the government should have nothing to do with it. I have read many books. I worked in the library for 28 years. Maybe you need to read some and make better choices on what you read if that is all you know.

Guess you must not be old enough to remember Russia and its communism taking over many nations. Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. Just don't take my grandchildren into communism with you. I will fight it with all my being as long as I live and anyone who knows anything about communism will do the same. It is an evil thing.

??? Except that government has had something to do with it since 1942 (per Mircea) in the form of tax breaks for employer-paid health insurance. How is it that low-wage uninsured conservatives have no problem with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies