Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel Toyota's recall issue has been exploited by the media?
Yes I do, they still make excellent cars and this issue will be resolved by Toyota in due time 60 63.83%
No I do not. I think they deserve it. They have fallen and are doomed to fail. 27 28.72%
Not sure 7 7.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Think about it.

Who stands to benefit from the Toyota debacle?

GM and Chrysler maybe?

Who has a vested interest in hurting Toyota to benefit GM and Chrysler?

You know the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
that high tech stuff is scary. never even owned a car with an airbag. all my junk is pre 1990 and easy to fix. till the gov bans it all

Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
they just played the 911 tape from the man that was driving a Toyota
who was saying the gas peddle had stuck, the tape played until the point of impact when all 4 of the people in that car was killed, that is the case that brought this to light
it does not matter how long they have been making cars, there is a problem and there has been deaths as a result
you think it is overblown??
I don't
they need to be held accountable
now there is a problem with the breaks on another brand, but Toyota refuses to make a recall, what, wait for deaths??
Good Grief!!
I understand, but you are looking at the whole issue with blinders on. I agree Toyota, or any other company should be held accountable for serious safety issues with their products... I think everyone does for that matter; its a given.

However the point of the thread is really to dig deeper and figure out why the media is hyping this recall issue out of the stratosphere. In particular, some of the news companies are even speculating Toyotas DEMISE as a company because of all of this! It's ludicrous to think that Toyota's quality has gone completely down the toilet because of these two HIGHLY specific problem areas. The Japanese run businesses very differently than Americans. They take MUCH more pride, in general, with their products and any flaws are taken very seriously... some Japanese even take it personally, as a sign of failure.

Toyota still makes excellent vehicles. These two very specific recalls will be fixed in due time and Toyota will have learned a very big lesson from all of it I'm thinking. They will emerge stronger in the end, pinpointing problem areas with their engineering/manufacturing processes, and hopefully be able to produce cars that are even higher in quality than they currently are.

However the timing of all this just seems very fishy to me... It very well could just be a coincidence, however, part of me never fully trusts what the media puts out to be fact. Part of me always suspects a little puppetry behind the scenes...

Old 02-05-2010, 03:53 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I understand, but you are looking at the whole issue with blinders on. I agree Toyota, or any other company should be held accountable for serious safety issues with their products... I think everyone does for that matter; its a given.

However the point of the thread is really to dig deeper and figure out why the media is hyping this recall issue out of the stratosphere. In particular, some of the news companies are even speculating Toyotas DEMISE as a company because of all of this! It's ludicrous to think that Toyota's quality has gone completely down the toilet because of these two HIGHLY specific problem areas. The Japanese run businesses very differently than Americans. They take MUCH more pride, in general, with their products and any flaws are taken very seriously... some Japanese even take it personally, as a sign of failure.

Toyota still makes excellent vehicles. These two very specific recalls will be fixed in due time and Toyota will have learned a very big lesson from all of it I'm thinking. They will emerge stronger in the end, pinpointing problem areas with their engineering/manufacturing processes, and hopefully be able to produce cars that are even higher in quality than they currently are.

However the timing of all this just seems very fishy to me... It very well could just be a coincidence, however, part of me never fully trusts what the media puts out to be fact. Part of me always suspects a little puppetry behind the scenes...
Sorry I don't think people who think this recall is a big deal, have blinders on, better yet they have their eyes open. This is not a minor recall, it is one of the largest automobile recalls in history, a sicnificant portion of the total sales of Toyota in the past 5 years.
Your speculation about the intricies of Japaneese culture don't jive with the facts. This problem has been going on for a long time and Toyota has known about it for years.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
AFP: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

Quote:
CHICAGO — The US transportation chief's public rebukes of Toyota's handling of a massive safety recall have raised eyebrows, given the US government's major stake in rivals General Motors and Chrysler.

"The optics are terrible because -- and this is what happens when a government owns a company - the two companies that are going to gain the most out of this are General Motors and Chrysler," said Peter Morici, a professor at the University of Maryland's business school.
I smell Chicago-style politics.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Do you feel that Toyota's accelerator problems are being exploited by the media? It just seems like the news is stuck on this issue and have come up with some pretty nasty headlines regarding the quality of their vehicles as a whole.

I put this in the political section because something just smells fishy about all of it... I mean Toyota for decades now has been constantly beating out domestic brands and even many import brand car makers for their high quality vehicles. Domestic car brands have tried endlessly to no avail to steal back the market share, but unfortunately the stigma attached to domestic cars appeared permanent. I guess just the timing of all of this, and the trivial nature of the accusations against Toyota as a company seem weird to me. Toyota does make excellent cars and even to this day they are many times better than domestic vehicles in terms of quality and reliability. And yes I've driven domestic cars and yes they have gotten much better over the past decade, however they still fall behind in terms of substance and quality.

What is your feeling about the issue? I'd like to hear what others think about this and whether or not they feel Toyota is being pushed off a cliff intentionally for the benefit of GM and other domestic brands.
Yes Obama Motors needed a lift so throw toyota under the bus

Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
If the far left weren't complete and total hypocrites, they could ask an expert in the field of automobile safety. But the poor guy's been froze out of media and government circles for "not playing ball" and putting his values and ideals before political deal making . Of course I'm talking about Ralph Nader.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 AM

306 posts, read 475,668 times
Quote:
Do you feel that Toyota's accelerator problems are being exploited by the media? It just seems like the news is stuck on this issue and have come up with some pretty nasty headlines regarding the quality of their vehicles as a whole.

I put this in the political section because something just smells fishy about all of it... I mean Toyota for decades now has been constantly beating out domestic brands and even many import brand car makers for their high quality vehicles. Domestic car brands have tried endlessly to no avail to steal back the market share, but unfortunately the stigma attached to domestic cars appeared permanent. I guess just the timing of all of this, and the trivial nature of the accusations against Toyota as a company seem weird to me. Toyota does make excellent cars and even to this day they are many times better than domestic vehicles in terms of quality and reliability. And yes I've driven domestic cars and yes they have gotten much better over the past decade, however they still fall behind in terms of substance and quality.

What is your feeling about the issue? I'd like to hear what others think about this and whether or not they feel Toyota is being pushed off a cliff intentionally for the benefit of GM and other domestic brands.

I don't like your implications of "no."
I don't think its blown out of proportion, but I don't think they will fail either.
Toyota's pedal flaws have indeed killed people, but they almost make great cars otherwise.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:

I have nothing against Toyota, I used to drive one
it was a 1981 with a 22R engine and had over 250 thousand miles,
but to think some how that the media is behind this is fairly silly
what it sounds like you are saying is some how the media is behind this, real people have died, who cares what the timing is??
Is everything in your world view this devious?
I would feel no different if it were a GMC which is what I happen to drive, I would want to know what the heck is going on.
The point of this thread, I thought, was to state our opinions, not to have everyone agree, why post anything if you don't want to hear what each person that chooses to respond if it differs from your view.
Do I think the media is behind this to hurt Toyota and make Americian made cars look good??
NO, I do not.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Think about it.

Who stands to benefit from the Toyota debacle?

GM and Chrysler maybe?

Who has a vested interest in hurting Toyota to benefit GM and Chrysler?

You know the answer.
Why did you leave Ford out of your post? They have more to gain than anyone. I know, you're partisan hatred of the Obama administration makes you twist the Toyota recall into something sinister involving the two companies that got government loans. Toyota has known about their problem with the brakes since October but it's taken this long for them to take any steps to address the issues. In the meantime, they just kept pushing more and more of the same cars off the assembly, with the same brake issues. 8.1 million cars have been recalled world-wide. That's a big story that deserves the attention it's getting in the press and that has absolutely nothing to do with Gm and Chrysler. A recall of that size, no matter the brand name, would have gotten the same coverage as the faulty Toyota's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies