Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel Toyota's recall issue has been exploited by the media?
Yes I do, they still make excellent cars and this issue will be resolved by Toyota in due time 60 63.83%
No I do not. I think they deserve it. They have fallen and are doomed to fail. 27 28.72%
Not sure 7 7.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,535 times

Advertisements

Do you feel that Toyota's accelerator problems are being exploited by the media? It just seems like the news is stuck on this issue and have come up with some pretty nasty headlines regarding the quality of their vehicles as a whole.

I put this in the political section because something just smells fishy about all of it... I mean Toyota for decades now has been constantly beating out domestic brands and even many import brand car makers for their high quality vehicles. Domestic car brands have tried endlessly to no avail to steal back the market share, but unfortunately the stigma attached to domestic cars appeared permanent. I guess just the timing of all of this, and the trivial nature of the accusations against Toyota as a company seem weird to me. Toyota does make excellent cars and even to this day they are many times better than domestic vehicles in terms of quality and reliability. And yes I've driven domestic cars and yes they have gotten much better over the past decade, however they still fall behind in terms of substance and quality.

What is your feeling about the issue? I'd like to hear what others think about this and whether or not they feel Toyota is being pushed off a cliff intentionally for the benefit of GM and other domestic brands.

Last edited by ryanst530; 01-30-2010 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 02:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
I read about worse recalls but don't recall that US car makers ever shut down entire lines.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:00 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Do you feel that Toyota's accelerator problems are being blown out of proportion by the media? It just seems like the news is stuck on this issue and have come up with some pretty nasty headlines regarding the quality of their vehicles as a whole.

I put this in the political section because I felt something just smells fishy about all of it... I mean Toyota for decades now has been constantly beating out domestic brands and even many import brand car makers for their high quality vehicles. Domestic car brands have tried endlessly to no avail to steal back the market share, but unfortunately the stigma attached to domestic cars appeared permanent. I guess just the timing of all of this, and the trivial nature of the accusations against Toyota as a company seem weird to me. Toyota does make excellent cars and even to this day they are many times better than domestic vehicles in terms of quality and reliability. And yes I've driven domestic cars and yes they have gotten much better over the past decade, however they still fall behind in terms of substance and quality.

What is your feeling about the issue? I'd like to hear what others think about this and whether or not they feel Toyota is being pushed off a cliff intentionally for the benefit of GM and other domestic brands.

We voted. We sold a two year old Avalon and bought a Chevy traverse for my wife last weekend. No reason to take risks.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:00 PM

45,413 posts, read 60,608,674 times
This one's for you. Apparently you've never heard of the Ford Pinto.

You're also yet another poster who doesn't know how to write unbiased poll questions.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We voted. We sold a two year old Avalon and bought a Chevy traverse for my wife last weekend. No reason to take risks.
Fair enough. Hope you like your new car

Old 01-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This one's for you. Apparently you've never heard of the Ford Pinto.

You're also yet another poster who doesn't know how to write unbiased poll questions.
I'm not sure what the real story is behind the Pinto incident. I know its easy to think there was some monkey business taking place behind the scenes at Ford, but I honestly don't know as I didn't work for them.

I'm just asking for opinions on the Toyota issue as I feel they have been hammered a little too much about something somewhat trivial (from an engineering standpoint). Yes I do think they should recall every vehicle affected, I agree with people on this... this is the right thing to do. I also feel that something as simple as this will be rectified by Toyota quickly and they will come out this even stronger as a result.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Originally i thought it was being blown out of proportion but they don't shut down lines for anything minor

Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
I voted no, because the current issue isn't being blown out of proportion. Now, I don't think they are "doomed to failure" though.

They made a mistake. Truthfully, they don't even know 100% for sure what the problem is.

However, there is a large amount of evidence that their cars are accelerating for no reason. Its killed some people, and hurt others.

This is destroying their "reliable" image they had before. But it won't be the end of Toyota. It'll hit them hard for a while. I think you'll see them drop as the top automaker in the world. This was a gift wrapped present for Detroit, thats for sure. But they will be back, sooner or later.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:30 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,862,513 times
What recall?

Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Every major car manufacturer has recalls. Overall, I still think that Toyota puts out a better vehicle than any domestic manufacturer. I currently have a '99 Toyota Sienna that up until one week ago never had anything go wrong with it. Wednesday morning, the original (yes, 11 year old) battery gave out and I had to replace it. I've owned Jeeps, Saturns, Volkswagens, and this Toyota. By far, the Toyota was superior in every way. I will replace it with another Toyota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies