Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,017,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
In fact, the religious right establish their own parochial schools.
Most "parochial schools" are Catholic and Catholics tend in general to not be part of the "religious right" but instead more often than not have historically aligned themselves with the Democratic Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 PM

132 posts, read 225,807 times
I agree with the idea that home-schooled students who want to be student-athletes should not get to have a great many more choices in what schools they play athletics for. That seems fair enough to me.

But all home-schooled kids aren't "Jesus Freaks", from overtly religious families, or religious at all. I am friends with a family who have chosen to home school their children because of the poor quality of the public schools in their district and the cost of private schools being above the ability for the family to cope with. They aren't religious whatsoever. I'm not in favor of them sending their kids an hour away to play football because the school/team is better. I agree with you there!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:05 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,960,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have mixed feelings about Tim Tebow. He is a great football player and I hope he does well in the NFL. Lord knows they need some excitement there. But he is also a religious nutcase.
I was shocked when I found out that he played high school football for a school that he never attended for even one class! It seems like the state of Florida allows the "home schooled" to play sports for any school they want without attending school there. No only that but they may go there for a variety of activity including the free lunch program if they wish.
And unlike most athletes who must play for the school they attend- usually the one in their neighbourhood, the home schooled religious nutcases can actually CHOOSE the school they want to play for.
In my view if the school is not good nuff for your kids to attend, they should not be going there for other things. If they home schoolers want to have athletics they ought to have their OWN league- maybe "Jesus League" or something.

I was absolutely with you until you spouted the "Jesus League" making an inference of your hatred for the Christian religion.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:43 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,289,228 times
KevK:

And unlike most athletes who must play for the school they attend- usually the one in their neighbourhood, the home schooled religious nutcases can actually CHOOSE the school they want to play for.

Homeschooled athletes have no more/freedom to choose their school than do the public schooled. Try reading some links.

USA TODAY contacted all 51 high school associations and found 25 have modified or are modifying rules to close loopholes in their transfer rules in the last three years.

Parents, high school officials at odds over motivation for athletes' transfers - USATODAY.com

Get the log out of your eye...........

Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,352,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Here in Wisconsin we have open enrollment and a parent can enroll their child in any school they wish as long as there is an open slot available. They do NOT have to attend the "neighborhood school." The same may be true for the Tebows.
Not the case here:
Quote:
The Tebows lived in Jacksonville, Florida, and Tim played linebacker and tight end at the local Trinity Christian Academy for one season. Tebow's preferred position was quarterback, but Trinity football team's offense did not rely on passing the football, so he began to explore his options to play for a new high school.[10] He decided to attend Nease High School, which under head coach Craig Howard was known for having a passing offense. With the rest of his family living on a farm in Duval County, Tim and his mother moved into an apartment in nearby St. Johns County, making him eligible to play for the football team at Nease. His performance soon turned heads and led to a minor controversy of him being a home-schooled student having his choice of school to play for.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
^^^Well, they wouldn't be the first people to do something like that. Colorado has tightened its transfer laws as families have pulled stunts like that to follow popular coaches, etc. Usually the student loses a year of eligibility.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:33 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,596,936 times
Yeah, just because their tax dollars also go to paying for public school doesn't mean they have a right to some of the public school benefits. How dare they.
Quote:
I have mixed feelings about Tim Tebow. He is a great football player and I hope he does well in the NFL. Lord knows they need some excitement there. But he is also a religious nutcase.
I was shocked when I found out that he played high school football for a school that he never attended for even one class! It seems like the state of Florida allows the "home schooled" to play sports for any school they want without attending school there. No only that but they may go there for a variety of activity including the free lunch program if they wish.
In my view if the school is not good nuff for your kids to attend, they should not be going there for other things. If they home schoolers want to have athletics they ought to have their OWN league- maybe "Jesus League" or something.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM

And yet there are several professional athletes who went to college and didn't learn to read above an elementary school level until later in life. I know of one who plays for the New England Patriots. Don't hand him a written statement to read aloud before television cameras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Whoa! Generalize much??

I taught public high school for 37 years. I can assure you that our public schools do, indeed, graduate kids with reading comprehension skills higher than 7th grade and math skills higher than 4th grade. In fact, many public school graduates go on to college - some even to very prestigious colleges.

Are you wearing your tin hat??
For some students, homeschooling works very well. I have no problem with parents who choose to bypass the public schools, except when they foist their failures on public school teachers and expect us to work miracles. During the course of my career, I taught a number of home schooled students who chose to attend a public school for their high school years. Most adapted well. Some had really arrogant, elitist attitudes that set them apart from their fellow students. A few were obviously troubled and probably would have benefited from the support services that public schools provide and to which teachers would have referred them, had they been public school students in elementary/middle school. In short, home schooled students weren't a whole lot different than those who were public school educated.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
The fact is that most of the kids that are home schooled tend to be the kids of religious nutcase parents- sort of like the mother from the movie "Carrie" you know. Always walking around mumbling the Bible. Tim Tebow is pretty obviously a religious nutcase himself wearing Bible verses under his eyes. But my post was not about the pros and cons of home schooling. I think religious nutcases should be home schooled so that they do not mess up the normal children. My whole issue is with them cherry picking what they want to use public schools for. As for Tim Tebow playing for his LOCAL neighbourhood school, I will stand corrected if that is the fact. That is not what they said on The Zone (sports radio) but they can be wrong. They said that the Tebows picked out a school and the mother rented an apartment which was not really her residence so Timmy could play football there. That is where I learned of the scheme. Regardless it is my belief that public school facilities should be for the use of the students that attend school there. Those that do not should not be able to say "oh I am too good to attend algebra class with you low lifes but I demand you let me on your team".
Well so much for diversity. Yep, don't want religious nutcases messing up the pregnant drug addicts in public school.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,289,228 times
Tim Tebow's family broke no laws in moving to obtain rights to play at Nease High School. I really don't see the angst.

Bob Tebow said he would have made the physical relocation to afford his son the opportunity to fulfill his dream. Bad Dad,...huh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies