Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Tim Tebow's family broke no laws in moving to obtain rights to play at Nease High School. I really don't see the angst.

Bob Tebow said he would have made the physical relocation to afford his son the opportunity to fulfill his dream. Bad Dad,...huh!!
He "would have", bu the didn't! LOL! It's the old "spirit of the law" thing. Is it really OK for Mom and son to move into their own apt. away from the family home so that sonny-boy can play football for a team where he will be scouted by the colleges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Florida public school policy allows the Tebow type of transfer. The problem of athletic transfers among high schools is not limited to Tim Tebow and Florida, but is a national problem. As long as the Tebows broke no laws, I don't see the problem.

Parents, high school officials at odds over motivation for athletes' transfers - USATODAY.com

It seems the OP's hatred for homeschooled children has nothing to do with education, but much to do with anti-religious zeal.
Well thank you for making my argument for me and now we see it in print form just like I said and just like the radio said- the Tebows essentially LIED about their residence. Funny that so called religious people have no trouble being dishonest when it comes to their own good!

Bob Tebow wonders what is wrong about choosing a school for athletic reasons. His son Tim, a quarterback at the University of Florida, was rated as one of the nation's top high school quarterbacks in 2005. Tebow's high school career started with him playing on defense for Trinity Christian Academy in Jacksonville. After Trinity won the 2002 state title, the Tebows started to "shop" for a new school for their son so he could play quarterback.

"We wanted to give him the opportunity to develop his God-given talent and to achieve his life-long dream of playing quarterback," Bob Tebow said. "It wasn't that we were leaving an unsuccessful program to go to a successful one; it was the other way around. The school he went to had been winning two or three games a year for 10 years, but they hired a new coach, who we liked, and they had a passing offense."

When the Tebows heard about Nease High coach Craig Howard and his spread offense, they rented an apartment in St. John's County. They kept their primary residence in Duval County near Jacksonville.

Parents, high school officials at odds over motivation for athletes' transfers - USATODAY.com

Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,326,320 times
I don't think public schools should be in the business of administering sports teams. Public schools should pay for reading, writing and arithmetic. Parents who want their kids to play football should pay for it.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,547,446 times
So you only have a problem with this if the student is home schooled but are perfectly fine if it's a public school student transferring from school to school to find the right football or baseball team to be on to improve their chances at a good college scholarship. Actually, I think you just have a problem with Christianity in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Well thank you for making my argument for me and now we see it in print form just like I said and just like the radio said- the Tebows essentially LIED about their residence. Funny that so called religious people have no trouble being dishonest when it comes to their own good!

Bob Tebow wonders what is wrong about choosing a school for athletic reasons. His son Tim, a quarterback at the University of Florida, was rated as one of the nation's top high school quarterbacks in 2005. Tebow's high school career started with him playing on defense for Trinity Christian Academy in Jacksonville. After Trinity won the 2002 state title, the Tebows started to "shop" for a new school for their son so he could play quarterback.

"We wanted to give him the opportunity to develop his God-given talent and to achieve his life-long dream of playing quarterback," Bob Tebow said. "It wasn't that we were leaving an unsuccessful program to go to a successful one; it was the other way around. The school he went to had been winning two or three games a year for 10 years, but they hired a new coach, who we liked, and they had a passing offense."

When the Tebows heard about Nease High coach Craig Howard and his spread offense, they rented an apartment in St. John's County. They kept their primary residence in Duval County near Jacksonville.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 PM

20,294 posts, read 37,212,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have mixed feelings about Tim Tebow. He is a great football player and I hope he does well in the NFL. Lord knows they need some excitement there. But he is also a religious nutcase.
I was shocked when I found out that he played high school football for a school that he never attended for even one class! It seems like the state of Florida allows the "home schooled" to play sports for any school they want without attending school there. No only that but they may go there for a variety of activity including the free lunch program if they wish.
And unlike most athletes who must play for the school they attend- usually the one in their neighbourhood, the home schooled religious nutcases can actually CHOOSE the school they want to play for.
In my view if the school is not good nuff for your kids to attend, they should not be going there for other things. If they home schoolers want to have athletics they ought to have their OWN league- maybe "Jesus League" or something.
I will put it to you this way: if his parents paid property tax, which includes school taxes, school bonds, etc., then they have as much right as any other tax payers for their kids to attend public school of not.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I will put it to you this way: if his parents paid property tax, which includes school taxes, school bonds, etc., then they have as much right as any other tax payers for their kids to attend public school of not.
I still think the mom moving into a better district, football team wise, is a little sketchy.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't think public schools should be in the business of administering sports teams. Public schools should pay for reading, writing and arithmetic. Parents who want their kids to play football should pay for it.
Wow, great way to exclude a large group of poor children. I can just imagine the large number of professional atheletes who never would have played professional sports or attended college without public school sports. Problem isn't sports in public school. Problem is the faculty giving preferential treatment (unearned grades and letting bad behavior slide that they would not have allowed with non-athelete students). If they fail then they fail, no extra credit BS just to get them to pass or make the grade so as not to be kicked off the team.

1,224 posts, read 1,287,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
He "would have", bu the didn't! LOL! It's the old "spirit of the law" thing. Is it really OK for Mom and son to move into their own apt. away from the family home so that sonny-boy can play football for a team where he will be scouted by the colleges?
Let me know what laws the Tebows broke. Apparently they adhered to the "spirit of the law" the legislature passed in 1996. Public schoolers have been transferring to the highest bidders for years. Get a grip!

Seems like a lot of sour grapes,...centered around the fact that the Tebow family is religious. Get over it. And, you might want to learn something about the high school where Tim played. It wasn't a hotbed of college recruitment until Tim arrived. Get your facts straight.

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Tim Tebow's family broke no laws in moving to obtain rights to play at Nease High School. I really don't see the angst.

Bob Tebow said he would have made the physical relocation to afford his son the opportunity to fulfill his dream. Bad Dad,...huh!!
How many other parents do you think would like to have the ability to move their kids to a better school but because their kids cannot play ball, if they dare try it, they will spend the next 5 years of their lives in prison? I guess lying is OK if you can play ball and claim you are "home schooled". And of course it helps if you are white too. But if you are black, don't play ball and move into your sister's house, plan the next 5 years in prison.

Atlanta Metro News*| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/henry/stories/2009/02/07/felony_henry_school.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_news tab&imw=Y - broken link)

I do not know how many people are doing time for doing just what Timmy did.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I still think the mom moving into a better district, football team wise, is a little sketchy.
Is that because they were homeschooled and "religious nutcases"? Public school atheletes do this all the time. Some even break the law by falsely claiming residence within the district. In the above case, they rented an apartment in that district which is legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies