Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:52 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a two parter. What is the average response time from when you dial 911 to the cops showing up? If anyone can come up with true stat, I would appreciate it. I have searched and come up with anywhere between 7-10 minutes. Now we all know what can happen in as little as 2 minutes. Should every responsible household have at least one firearm in the home? I do know that home invasions are becoming more and more popular and IF you can get to a 12-gauge shotgun...not too many sane people will argue with you. Do you keep one in your home and if not, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
This is sort of a two parter. What is the average response time from when you dial 911 to the cops showing up? If anyone can come up with true stat, I would appreciate it. I have searched and come up with anywhere between 7-10 minutes. Now we all know what can happen in as little as 2 minutes. Should every responsible household have at least one firearm in the home? I do know that home invasions are becoming more and more popular and IF you can get to a 12-gauge shotgun...not too many sane people will argue with you. Do you keep one in your home and if not, why?
Response time varies, of course, depending on the community. I'd guess it would be about two or three minutes here in C. Oregon where I spend winters.

The only time I ever had reason to dial 911 in Alaska, we got a recording. No answer at the regular number for the cop shop. No one at the clinic and my son couldn't breathe. The whole thing was a total disgrace.

Neither community has any great amount of home break ins, though. I don't worry about them. In urban areas, I might. I do own a firearm or two but the possibility of a home break in isn't on my list of reasons for doing so.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
The repsonse time really depends on the city. Smaller cities with yheir own police departments can respond rather quickly.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:04 PM

530 posts, read 780,107 times
I am not sure of average response time but where I live, but I do own a gun and think it is a good idea to have one IF that is something you are comfortable with.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I've heard of stories up to 30 minutes before a response to a 911 call.

If you don't have your right address listed in the phone book, which happens more often than you think, then they may take even longer.

A firearm for home defense is a good idea, if you are educated in its use, and properly store it.

Remember, a weapon not properly stored, can become the weapon of your intruder. Also, its more than just point and shoot with a handgun. You need to be trained in how to use it.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
I am not sure of average response time but where I live, but I do own a gun and think it is a good idea to have one IF that is something you are comfortable with.

I agree with you. If someone is comfortable with the idea of a gun, for protection, and there responsible gun owners, that is there business, plenty of bad guys, already have guns. In a dangerous armed home robbery, i would want more they my finger for protection. These days, when there is a home invasion robbery, they mean business, they take from you, then they kill you happening more and more in every State.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:14 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
I've heard that a shotgun is the best home defense weapon, the main reason is that you don't have to aim as well to hit the target. I am always worried about home invasions because we have a ton of meth-heads here. I hope to God I never HAVE to use my firearm against another human.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:14 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times
Quote:
A 12- gauge is a good start.

But.....every responsible household should have MORE......a lot more!

Baseball bats with long, feces-coated, nails driven through the hitting end.

Stockpile of fireworks?

Knives.
Forks.
Vicious dogs, poisonous snakes, booby traps and an itchy trigger finger would also help when it comes to "dealing with home invasions."

FIRE 'EM UP!!

911?

Who needs it?

A cop could be there anywhere from 5 seconds (VERY DOUBTFUL.....unless you sell donuts).....to 30 minutes....to NEVER.

Either way.....would you rather the cops finally show up to carry away the bodies of those who dared to invade your home......OR....

there to bag YOU up and carry YOUR dead or mangled body out of YOUR home?

NRA.....All the way!
The US Constitution AND........the Second Amendment of it...ROCKS!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
The racking sound of charging a shotgun is 90%+ effective at making intruders cr*p their pants and run.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
When seconds count, the cops will be there in minutes... at best. They'll more likely be filling out a report after the fact rather than acting to save your life.

My answer is a Remington 870 with 00 loads. I also have other handguns ready, safely out of reach of my little one but accessible. A neighbor asked if I keep the guns loaded. I replied by asking if he had any pens in his house. "Of course..." came the answer. "Do you keep ink in your pens?" I asked.

With a pump, just the sound of that thing chambering a round should be enough to send any intruder scurrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies