Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times

Advertisements

I have reasons for not believing Toyota has correctly identified the cause of uncontrolled acceleration of some of their vehicles. One of the reasons I believe this to be the case is the 911 call placed just prior to a collision that appears to have been caused by uncontrolled acceleration with brake failure. I understand at the time of the crash floor mats were blamed for the uncontrolled acceleration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03m7fmnhO0I

But the latest accelerator pedal recall excluded all Lexus products, like the one in which these people died.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-announces-comprehensive-153311.aspx

Furthermore, the accounts I have read about this seem to indicate that the vehicles are operating at wide open throttle instead of the part throttle that I would expect were the pedal to stick. Electronic throttle control systems have redundant sensors and a default program to prevent a false signal causing this sort of run-away acceleration, but an engine controller software or electrical hardware issue could also cause improper actuation of the electronic throttle system. This may or may not be the cause of the Toyota/Lexus problem, but their current explanation doesn't pass muster with me. A rare intermittent electrical malfunction is almost impossible to diagnose because, in the absence of a diagnostic trouble code, the conditions that cause it are only identifiable while the malfunction is occurring.

http://www.wislawjournal.com/article.cfm/2009/10/12/Plaintiffs-lawyers-probe-Toyota-crashes-Recall-wont-end-acceleration-accidents-lawyers-claim

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2010922326_toyotasuit29.html

If you drive one of these vehicles, please watch this video. If the driver of the Lexus in the you tube video had known to shift to neutral, they would be alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT07_JbnKWQ&NR=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Thanks for this post--- I got the scare of my life on a highway once while towing a boat and the engine stalled. Steering wheel locked up and I had to get off on the shoulder, come to a complete stop, put it in park to get it restarted. Nearly caused a pile up, and good thing those around me caught onto the fact something was really wrong & got out of my way.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,204 times
Shift to neutral and turn off the car.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Shift to neutral and turn off the car.

Usually, if you turn off the key, it kills your power steering. Let it run until you coast to a stop.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Just shift to neutral, and steer the car to a safe place, and brake to stop the car. If your brake pedal doesn't work, use the emergency brake.

That will stop your car.

For me, I just won't buy a toyota.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 AM

769 posts, read 887,373 times
You'd think the shifting into neutral trick would be taught in drivers ed. My gf actually did have her floor mat stick the gas pedal down ('99 Cavalier though) and it was this big ordeal, she had to stand on the brake and the car was still moving the brakes were smoking she finally got it pulled over and turned off and called me in a frantic. When I got there and then realized what happen, I was aghast that she didn't simply shift into neutral.

Side note with the Toyotas and run away acceleration, I have a '95 Camery and can't use the cruise control because when I switch it on it initiates endless acceleration. So where ever the bug in their code is, it has been kicking around for 15 years.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,714 times
I can't believe people actually would have to be told to shift into neutral. Seems common sense to me. Some people just don't think when they're driving. No, I'm beginning to think some people don't think at all.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
You'd think the shifting into neutral trick would be taught in drivers ed. My gf actually did have her floor mat stick the gas pedal down ('99 Cavalier though) and it was this big ordeal, she had to stand on the brake and the car was still moving the brakes were smoking she finally got it pulled over and turned off and called me in a frantic. When I got there and then realized what happen, I was aghast that she didn't simply shift into neutral.

Side note with the Toyotas and run away acceleration, I have a '95 Camery and can't use the cruise control because when I switch it on it initiates endless acceleration. So where ever the bug in their code is, it has been kicking around for 15 years.
I'm not that familiar with Toyota products, but I would think a '95 would use a cable to actuate the throttle. The vehicles in question use an electronic throttle control system. The same ETC system actuates the throttle during cruise control operation.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I saw a throttle failure in the Rolex 24 at Daytona. It was a mechanical set up and the throttle stuck open! On that type of car I would have installed a double cable (one to open and one to close) throttle control system.

I agree with shifting to neutral and stopping the car while the RPM limiter saves the engine from self destruction. I doubt is any emergency procedures are taught in drivers ed courses. Look how many drivers cannot stop a simple skid on a slippery road.

I would still buy a used Toyota but might avoid the '09 and '10 model years or count on the reputation to drive down the prices and buy one anyway.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'm not that familiar with Toyota products, but I would think a '95 would use a cable to actuate the throttle. The vehicles in question use an electronic throttle control system. The same ETC system actuates the throttle during cruise control operation.
Correct. That electronic 'drive-by-wire' crap did not appear in many vehicles till ca. 2002
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies