Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Oh damn that would be fun! I bring the pinot noir & I make a mean chili or spaghetti, you guys decide.
Well looney-lefties focus every second of every day on diversity, so it will have to be chagetti. And can you please make sure the wine is from a green free-trade winery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that many on the left could be religious, they just keep their spiritual beliefs out of politics. So for instance, they could be christian and personally never ever consider having an abortion... however they do believe in the individual's personal right to choice in the matter. Liberals tend to be thinkers and will form their own opinions and not blindly follow the directives of their church leaders. Liberals believe strongly in the separation of church and state.
Very well said and describes how I feel on this subject.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey all,

As a left leaning--yet devout--evangelical christian, I find myself in a very small minority among right wing churchgoers and secular leftists, making me wonder why so many on the left are NOT religious. I'm not necessarily saying that it's bad, but I'm just curious.

Of course we could also ask why so many churchgoers are right wing, but this is aimed more at the liberals on this board. Well, I have to go to work, so I'll check back later. Thanks for responding.

mackinac
I'm a very left leaning liberal and I practice Vajrayana/Tibetan Buddhism
every day. I can't imagine my life without it.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well looney-lefties focus every second of every day on diversity, so it will have to be chagetti. And can you please make sure the wine is from a green free-trade winery?
Hells to the bells, of course! Organic free-trade wine, no problem. I'll also remember the free-trade coffee too, for those who get a little tired during our hours of rambunctiousness. Chagetti? Check. Damn, we should be feeling pretty darn smug about ourselves right about now, shouldn't we?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Believe it or not, abortion isn't necessarily the litmus test for membership in a particular political party.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:46 PM

45 posts, read 30,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey all,

As a left leaning--yet devout--evangelical christian, I find myself in a very small minority among right wing churchgoers and secular leftists, making me wonder why so many on the left are NOT religious. I'm not necessarily saying that it's bad, but I'm just curious.

Of course we could also ask why so many churchgoers are right wing, but this is aimed more at the liberals on this board. Well, I have to go to work, so I'll check back later. Thanks for responding.

mackinac

You should research IQ and political affiliation.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgal22 View Post
Ouch!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:15 PM

241 posts, read 251,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgal22 View Post
IQ tests have very little bearing on reality, hope that helps

Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
For some reason, I've never seen evolutionary biology/psychology as being particularly "progressive". Considering plenty of right-wing extremists use the ideology to justify all kinds of evil and injustices (albeit that was true of religion too).
This argument is so bad as to be almost surreal.

There is no such thing as "progressive" science or "right wing" science. There is only good and bad science. There is science that fits the facts and science that does not. How science is used, and by whom, is a completely different frame of discussion.

Water at normal atmospheric pressure boils at 212F. You can use that scientific knowledge to cook your dinner or to throw boiling water in someone's face. In neither case does the boiling point of water vary from 212F.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This looney leftie is just fine with Pinot Noir (a good one, of course) and pasta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies