Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
In effect, don't you think that be the outcome?
Nope. Do you see government ownership of all hospitals and doctors on the government payroll? No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 01:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Nope. Do you see government ownership of all hospitals and doctors on the government payroll? No way.
Under single payer I believe you would eventually see government take overs of clinics and hospitals.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Under single payer I believe you would eventually see government take overs of clinics and hospitals.
Really? I've never even given it a thought. I don't think anything remotely close to that will happen. I see a single payer insurance pool and the same care providers.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:15 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
No. I don't see that. I didn't say that, either.

Did you read the rest of my post?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:16 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Really? I've never even given it a thought. I don't think anything remotely close to that will happen. I see a single payer insurance pool and the same care providers.
The government already has their own clinics.
They provide low-cost care on a sliding scale.
Aren't the VA hospitals owned by the government?

In any case, here is something for those who want to try to frighten people with "the government will take over health care" nonsense:

Quote:
Who will run the health care system?

There is a myth that with national health insurance the government will make the medical decisions. But in a publicly financed, universal health care system, medical decisions are left to the patient and doctor, as they should be. This is true even in the countries like the U.K. and Spain (or in U.S. systems like the VA) that have socialized medicine.
In a public system, the public has a say in how it’s run. Cost containment measures are publicly managed at the state level by elected and appointed agencies that represent the public. This agency decides on the benefit package and negotiates doctor fees and hospital budgets. It also is responsible for health planning and the distribution of expensive technology. Thus, the total budget for health care is set through a public, democratic process. But clinical decisions remain a private matter between doctor and patient.
Single-Payer FAQ | Physicians for a National Health Program

Old 02-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Nope - the single payer system will try to control costs by reducing how much they will allow to be paid to providers. Those levels, like Medicare is doing now - will fall to a level that the providers cannot afford to stay in business. They will end up turning their businesses over to the government to run -

It will not happen over night - but, it will happen under the single payer system

Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nope - the single payer system will try to control costs by reducing how much they will allow to be paid to providers. Those levels, like Medicare is doing now - will fall to a level that the providers cannot afford to stay in business. They will end up turning their businesses over to the government to run -

It will not happen over night - but, it will happen under the single payer system
Same thing is happening with our current system. A matter of fact, now that I have no insurance and paying cash instead the doctors treating my wife seem to be much more pleasant to deal with than when I had BC/BS PPO and a few others over the years.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The government already has their own clinics.
They provide low-cost care on a sliding scale.
Aren't the VA hospitals owned by the government?

In any case, here is something for those who want to try to frighten people with "the government will take over health care" nonsense:
Two things about your post:

1) It has been pointed out to you numerous times by numerous posters, that the VA system is not a good model to use as an example. That while not all VA facilities, but MANY provide very poor care - My BIL uses the VA in the Sacramento area - and it takes, on average, 4 to 5 months to see a physician. He had a procedure (surgical) on his foot - the doctor botched the job so badly that he had to undergo another procedure to correct it - and there are many other examples of this throughout the VA system. Even the POTUS has acknowledged the deficiencies.

2) As for how a single payer would work - there is no way to say with any degree of certainty - because no plan is in place. So, for you to say that it will happen in a certain and specific way is IMPOSSIBLE and very DISINGENUOUS and untruthful.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Greatday,

The article that I mentioned in another post talks about the VA hospitals and why they are in trouble.

It is written by a medical doctor, a neuro-surgeon... someone who should know about health insurance companies, the government and health care.

Here's the link.

From the Scalpel to the Pen » The Reality: Government is Already in Healthcare

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-09-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 02:14 PM

241 posts, read 251,958 times
Health insurance companies literally make money from other people's suffering (by denying them care). The more they deny, the richer they get.

How can anyone support an industry like this? Why is it even an "industry"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies