Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Medicare Advantage may be low cost to the person receiving the benefit - but it is not low cost to the government that gives money to PRIVATE insurance
Companies to offset it.

I do not care who supports Medicare Advantage - democrats/republican/or Bozo the clown. I don't care who it does, or does not benefit. It costs the Medicare program in increased premiums for traditional medicare recipients and it increases the overall cost of individual medical services - since Insurance Co.'s jack up the prices.

There should be no Medicare Advantage. It should not have been expanded under Bush in 2003. If you are elderly and can not pay your traditional premium under Medicare, like everyone else - then you belong on Medicaid IF you qualify. If not - penny up the Premium - just like EVERYONE ELSE. Private Insurance Companies have no place in the Medicare Program.
You do realize that Medicare alone and Medicaid do not provide the medical services provided under Medicare Advantage, right?

Furthermore, individuals DO pay a Medicare Advantage premium. Where've you been? For an example, see page 5 here:
http://www.medicare.gov/medicarerefo...andscapenh.pdf

By your answer, we can tell that you, too, are on board with the liberals who want to screw elderly, lower-income African-Americans and Latin-Americans. How very compassionate of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 02:19 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You do realize that Medicare alone and Medicaid do not provide the medical services provided under Medicare Advantage, right?

Furthermore, individuals DO pay a Medicare Advantage premium. Where've you been? For an example, see page 5 here:

By your answer, we can tell that you, too, are on board with the liberals who want to screw elderly, lower-income African-Americans and Latin-Americans. How very compassionate of you.
Your getting all your facts off of Medicare.gov
- where have you been

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You are absolutely correct. Even though I am one that has an Advantage Plan, and it costs me $0
Medicare Advantage = Private Insurance Companies ripping off the Medicare Program.

Private Insurance Companies = Compassion

I'll try not to throw up

Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:

I have a Medicare Advantage plan. Where I live, it is easy to find a company, many of which did not even exist prior to 2004, will provide plans that are minimally better than basic Medicare, with an effective premium of $0. I am sure there are other states that have similar options. All states have advantage plans, the premiums will only go up to the level of current Medicare premiums. The states that have a number of companies have competition for the Advantage plan public ripoff, will provide the at lower or no cost. The addition services provided by these plans is nowhere near worth the subsidy amount provided those companies directly out of the Medicare bank account. Yes, there are many people who like those additions, particularly as it costs them nothing. And, there are people, like me, who pay nothing, yet still have Medicare plus coverage. I like that, but I know that is is not right and it is adding to the Medicare burden this country has. Those Advantage plans are a huge direct drain on the Medicare program, that needs to be closed. That is planned in the bills in Congress now. Of course the Ins Cos do not like that idea at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Your getting all your facts off of Medicare.gov
- where have you been
Did you miss the fact that the various premium costs listed were for the Medicare Advantage program? Hmmm?

Quote:
I'll try not to throw up
Good... maybe you can work on your reading comprehension.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Those Advantage plans are a huge direct drain on the Medicare program, that needs to be closed. That is planned in the bills in Congress now.
So, your answer, too, is to screw the elderly, lower-income African-Americans and Latin-Americans who can barely afford the Medicare Advantage premiums but cannot afford Medicare supplemental insurance policies. Got it.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
My dad has no health insurance and also opposes any sort of government-controlled health insurance.

Now THAT is an example of standing by principles!
Ditto here, and I have a bad back and knee...

Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
So, your answer, too, is to screw the elderly, lower-income African-Americans and Latin-Americans who can barely afford the Medicare Advantage premiums but cannot afford Medicare supplemental insurance policies. Got it.
I am going to take all the elderly, lower income African
American and Latin-American folks in my community out to lunch
tomorrow and help them fill out a Medicaid Application

Psssst - Medigap policies don't work with
Medicare Advantage

Last edited by pollyrobin; 02-09-2010 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
I can only assume you do not know how the Medicare Advantage plans work. If people are currently paying for supplemental plans, why would they not continue to do that. There are a number of Supplemental plans that are over and above basic Medicare Advantage. If I wanted a Supplemental plan, my company would be happy to sell me one. Some people do have a need for the Supplemental coverage, generally due to extensive drugs requirements. I fail to see your point.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Depends, I favor Nationalizing Health Care or Medicare for all BUT if the Insurance Company Parasites are still around I can't favor forcing anyone to pay them. That's worse than nothing

Old 02-09-2010, 03:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
49% of Americans still favor a public option for health care reform, with 42% who oppose.
NO! Fox News says we dont so we DONT and we WONT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies