Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The article you posted isn't exactly a great defense for why schizophrenia is such a common affliction among African-Americans. It simply attempts to compare schizophrenia rates with things like anxiety and depression, which tend to be fairly common among whites(which I don't find to be an equal comparison).

In fact, this reminds me of an interesting statistic about happiness, depression, and suicide. Which race has the highest general happiness and the lowest rates of suicide in the United States? It definitely isn't white people. In fact, whites are about twice as likely to kill themselves than are blacks in America. Whites are also much more likely to be diagnosed with depression than are blacks. And Native-Americans seem to have depression and kill themselves at incredibly high rates for some reason.

Autism and ADD/ADHD also vary widely by race, and even to people of mixed-races.

I will agree that living your life based on statistics is probably not a good thing. At the same time, I think a person is unwise not to heed the warnings from those statistics, especially if they plan to have children, because those children will be the ones who suffer the most, not the parents.

For example, I could really care less if there are gay people in this world. Go be gay, go bang each other in the butt, I don't care. But I don't like the idea of homosexual couples raising children. Why? Because the causes of homosexuality are partially environmental and a child would be affected by growing up in a homosexual environment, period. And since homosexuality basically has a negative correlation to happiness(and is also impractical), I don't believe it is good policy to intentionally place children in an environment that could harm them for the rest of their lives. If you are a white girl and you want to go have sex with a black man, by all means go, that is your right. But I can't support you having children with him when more than 90% of white female/black male marriages end in failure, nor will I pretend that there is no difference between you getting with a white guy or a black guy, because there is a huge difference. I get so tired of seeing white single women with their half-black babies who are raised fatherless, and that is really all I ever see.

When I look at all the problems in the world, all I ever do is try to find a way to fix them. I am a fixer, its what I do. I am analytical and logical, I find answers to problems. When I look at the situation in America where 70% of black babies are born to single mothers. Where the divorce rate has skyrocketed in the past 60 years. Where female happiness has gone down in the past 60 years. Where more and more children are being raised fatherless(me included), and the mental health issues involved in that. I think, what can I do to fix this? What has changed? What has caused this downward spiral?

I think it is a lot of things, and I believe that diversity and race has played a role, but there is a lot more to the situation. I personally find the only answer to these trying issues is personal responsibility and accountability. I find the only way to fix the situation is by making people be more responsible for their behaviors, thus making them more cautious about the decisions they make, thus making the statistics more relevant. Lastly, I think family is very important, and policies that are in place right now are destroying the value of family and pushing us further apart. The government has played a role by subsidizing these broken families, which has led to their growing numbers.

Basically, if people had to rely on themselves and their families, they would be much less likely to do stupid crap that could potentially harm themselves, their families, or their potential offspring. This would lower the rates of child abandonment and divorce. As well as lower all the bad things that correlate highly with children raised in single-parent families.

As for racism, I could really care less if it exists or not. I think it helps promote competitiveness and community stability. Other than hurting peoples feelings, it is actually a great tool to increase productivity. And since black people are happier than white people on average, its hard to argue that racism is such an issue that it is actually destroying lives. There are much more pressing issues than racism.

I have been signed up to some dating websites for a while, I never actually become a member but they constantly spam me with "matches", so I look them over here and there. I always find it interesting to look at the preferred race of their date section.

I rarely see white women list African or no preference as one of their potential dates. Most white women seem to list caucasian only. Many more will list both caucasian and latino. While black women are much more likely than white women to list themselves as having no racial preference. Asian women are also extremely likely to not include Africans in their potential date list, who almost always list Asian and caucasian in their potential date list.

Would that kind of information on dating sites be proof of the prevelance of racism? Does it really matter? What harm does it do? Who cares?
At least I present any objective link to back up my statements
The point is that although there are statistical correlations between certain groups of society (not just ethnical ones, by the way), minorities including blacks, who still seem to be the ones most people resent, are not more prone to this or that mental issue because of their ethnicity, i.e. genetically, but because of much more complex societal reasons.

Letting statistics guide your decisions is a bad thing, especially since there are no statistics saying 100% of mixed relationships fail. If that were the case, I would not take that risk, either. But the number is far from that, plus the divorce rate among whites or Asians is also very high, and it varies from region to region, despite being the same ethnic group. The same goes for mental issues. In some regions they are much higher than in others, which probably has to do with things like poverty, unemployment, worries, loneliness, lack of friends, etc.
This is also why I am not surprised black Americans have more mental issues, they are on average poorer, more often unemployed, less educated, etc.
I guess if you compare the problems of average blacks in, say, Colorado, Washington state and Mississippi, you will also find huge differences.

Your analogies to homosexualities are absurd and also very biased.

Any sources for your divorce rate of 90+% for black-white marriages? And why do many of them fail?

I wonder what it means when you say you don't support a white woman having kids with a black man? What do you do when you do support two people having kids?
If it were your own kids, would you not want them to be happy? Would you be an additional burden on and threat to their relationships just to make your biased opinion clear to them? You would be a bad parent, frankly. Especially since you know that your opinion won't change your kids' decision anyway.

As for the rest, it is just racist gibberish. Those preferred race specifications on dating sites are very superficial and based on stereotypes. Dating sites are great for racists as they can rule out getting to know someone who doesn't match their ideals and still makes them feel happy.
Would be interesting to see what would happen if someone got to know and like a person via such a site and discovers at the first meeting that the race specification was wrong (maybe simply a glitch, without intention), but everything else just the way they hoped it would be. Would they stop liking that person just because of their color?

Racims as a means to increase productivity? Sorry, but that's just embarrassing.

In all of those threads you always try to present pseudo-arguments to back up your bias (especially against blacks), be it IQ, mental issues, divorce rates etc. You are a supremacist looking for arguments to and justify your attitude.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Another racist black who "winces" at the horrid thought of marrying outside her esteemed race (and she's not alone, we know most blacks feel this way[citation needed])

And no renault, your ESP doesn't count as a source.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
According to the United States Census...
In terms of percentage 'Blacks' are more open to interracial marriage.
Particularly 'Black' males. About 9-10% of 'Black' males marry outside of their 'race'.

'Black' females, on the other hand are actually remarkably 'racially loyal', only about 4% of them marry outside of their 'race'.

Whites are about the same at 4% with the females being more racially loyal.

The highest rate of interacial marriage is the American Indian and native Alaskans. Go figure, since there are so few of them left. This is also a good reason that you are considered Indian down to 32nd.

So the black dudes want to get jiggy with the white chicks (joking, cmon smile)... everyone else is pretty much the same, racially speaking.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The point is that although there are statistical correlations between certain groups of society (not just ethnical ones, by the way), minorities including blacks, who still seem to be the ones most people resent, are not more prone to this or that mental issue because of their ethnicity, i.e. genetically, but because of much more complex societal reasons.
Did you even read the article you posted? It was utter hogwash. It tried to argue that the apparent gap in schizophrenia rates between whites and blacks was caused by some kind of biased method of diagnosis. That blacks are more likely to show the signs of schizophrenia so they are more likely to be assumed to have it. The argument is that whites are less likely to show signs of schizophrenia and so they are less likely to be diagnosed as schizophrenic.

The article then shifts to depression and anxiety and how whites are more likely to have each of those afflictions, but curiously avoids talking about a bias in their diagnoses rates. Instead it goes on to argue that depression and anxiety cause a very large percentage of work interuptions. Presumably to show that depression and anxiety are about as debilitating as schizophrenia, thus the focus on black schizophrenia rates is irrelevant?

Quote:
Letting statistics guide your decisions is a bad thing, especially since there are no statistics saying 100% of mixed relationships fail. If that were the case, I would not take that risk, either. But the number is far from that, plus the divorce rate among whites or Asians is also very high, and it varies from region to region, despite being the same ethnic group. The same goes for mental issues. In some regions they are much higher than in others, which probably has to do with things like poverty, unemployment, worries, loneliness, lack of friends, etc.
This is also why I am not surprised black Americans have more mental issues, they are on average poorer, more often unemployed, less educated, etc.
I will agree that the divorce rate among whites isn't where it needs to be, but it is no where near the black rate. On top of that, blacks are much less likely to marry to begin with.

Here's some reading for you.

https://aloftyexistence.wordpress.co...divorce-rates/

Quote:
Black male/white female couples also had the highest likelihood of divorce of all white/non-white marriages.
This article is especially interesting in contrasting marriage patterns vs cohabitation patterns. It shows that you are far more likely to cohabitate with someone of another race than to ever marry them. According to the chart, about 3.1% of white women cohabitate with black men, but only .5% of them are married to black men(6 to 1). This also makes white women with black men the least likely to move from cohabitation to marriage.

The Audacious Epigone: Marriage and cohabitation rates by race for men and women

In this post there is a study source from the CDC. In that study it showed that the 10-year disruption rate for marriages is about 31% for whites and 48% for black/white interracial marriages. But that isn't the full story because it only extends out 10 years in this study. Secondly, it clumps black/white marriages all together rather than separating black male/white female and black female/white male.

As we know from the previous articles, black wife/white husband actually has a lower divorce rate than a white/white marriage. So the 48% listed for black/white interracial marriages is at least 62% for black male/white female.

I cannot find the study that was for 15 years, but the 10-year mark and the 15-year mark were quite different.

According to this article "one-third of new marriages among younger people will end in divorce within 10 years and 43 percent within 15 years."

Fifty Percent of American Marriages End in Divorce-Fiction!

If that gap(about 1/3rd) between 10 years and 15 years were to be applied to the previous study which stated that at least 62% of black male/white female marriages will fail in 10 years. It would push the number up about another 1/3rd or so from 62% up to about 83%.

I know I have personally seen statistics that state that black male/white female marriages have more than a 90% failure rate overall. Even if it isn't at 90%, it is most likely very close to that.

Of course, that is if they ever get married to begin with. Black men are about half as likely to get married compared to a white man. And less than 1/6th of all black male/white female cohabitations end in marriage. So that 90% statistic for marriages isn't exactly representative of that actual likelihood that a white woman and a black man will live "happily ever after", because it doesn't even look at cohabitation disruptions and one-night-stand rates, which are both more likely when dealing interracially.

The divorce rate of interracial marriages? - Yahoo! Answers

Black Men And Divorce: Implications For Culturally Competent Practice | Minority Health Today | Find Articles at BNET
Children Of Divorce: The Shocking Statistics

[]But Will It Last?[]: Marital Instability Among Interracial and Same-Race Couples* - Bratter - 2008 - Family Relations - Wiley Online Library

Interracial Divorce in the U.S. – Statistics and How Much They Matter*|*Gori Girl

Quote:
Your analogies to homosexualities are absurd and also very biased.
I am stating that homosexuals are much more likely to be depressed, to commit suicide, to abuse drugs and alcohol, and to have sexually transmitted diseases. Do you think it is wise to knowingly place your children in such a harmful path?

VirtueOnline - News - Culture Wars - Gays are "Deeply Unhappy": Russian Orthodox Priest Warns of Homosexual LifeStyle

Quote:
Any sources for your divorce rate of 90+% for black-white marriages? And why do many of them fail?
Most likely the divorces are from "irreconciliable differences", otherwise known as "incompatibilities". It could be for a wide variety of reasons. But I would assume that is most likely caused by differeing views of what each person wants from the relationship, and what kinds of behaviors are acceptable by each person. It wouldn't surprise me if black male/white female divorces are caused in disproportionate amounts by "cheating" on the part of the black male.

The Audacious Epigone: Infidelity rates by ethnicity

Quote:
I wonder what it means when you say you don't support a white woman having kids with a black man? What do you do when you do support two people having kids? If it were your own kids, would you not want them to be happy? Would you be an additional burden on and threat to their relationships just to make your biased opinion clear to them? You would be a bad parent, frankly. Especially since you know that your opinion won't change your kids' decision anyway.
I don't support anyone whom I believe is making a bad decision. Be it a job, a major in college, a relationship, a buying decision(car, computer, house, etc). I don't hassle them, but most people need constant affirmation that their decisions are good, and I refuse to lie to them. And later on when I feel like they are harming themselves or others, or they come to me asking me for money as a result of their poor decision-making. I am at the very least going to remind them of it, and I may be more timid in trying to help them.

http://mba.yale.edu/faculty/pdf/kahn_mixed_race.pdf

Quote:
Mixed race children are reared in home environments that overall are similar to those of black children. School achievement results are intermediate between blacks and whites. Strikingly, however, mixed race children engage in substantially more risky/anti-social behavior than either blacks or whites, especially outside of school. Of the twenty-one different bad behavior variables that we analyze, mixed race adolescents are worse than both blacks and whites on 15 of them; they fall in between blacks and whites on the remaining 6 measures. Mixed race children also fare somewhat worse on measures of psychological well-being.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 05-12-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 12:36 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
According to the United States Census...
In terms of percentage 'Blacks' are more open to interracial marriage.
Particularly 'Black' males. About 9-10% of 'Black' males marry outside of their 'race'.

'Black' females, on the other hand are actually remarkably 'racially loyal', only about 4% of them marry outside of their 'race'.

Whites are about the same at 4% with the females being more racially loyal.

The highest rate of interacial marriage is the American Indian and native Alaskans. Go figure, since there are so few of them left. This is also a good reason that you are considered Indian down to 32nd.

So the black dudes want to get jiggy with the white chicks (joking, cmon smile)... everyone else is pretty much the same, racially speaking.

Not really funny(the last part).

I thought the highest rate might be between Asians and Whites. On the other hand 1/32 Native American being considered Native American is not surprising if that is what you are going by. On the other hand, I notice that to be considered Black, all one has to do is have ANY Black in them.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNix732 View Post
It's 2010 people, and times have changed; I must admit, but does an interracial relationship still ring "TABOO" and in our minds. I know sometimes I'll see an interracial couple and I feel like they're looking at me to see if I disapprove, or is it just in my head?. I have no problem with interracial relationships, but I'm curious if most of the public still does have a problem. So I want to know people of City-Data, how do you feel? Please let me see your opinions.. White men with Black Women, Black Men with White Women. Asian Men with White Women/vice versa.. Hispanic Men and Black Women ... you get my point.. let me know how you feel?
Quote:
White men with Black Women, Black Men with White Women. Asian Men with White Women/vice versa.. Hispanic Men and Black Women
Sounds like a pretty cool neighborhood. Almost like living in Europe.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Don't you see, your arguments would only make sense if those statistics said 100%, without exception, etc. But they don't do that at all.

Whether some statistics says 30 or 50 or 70% this or that doesn't say anything about a particular individual. Even if 99 out of 100 mixed-race relationships failed (which they don't), that one successful one might have been your child that you denied your support because of your bias.

You are in favor of letting likelihood run your decisions. That's not very wise, you might miss the perfect relationship that way before it even started. And since you don't even know if a marriage to someone like yourself would last, it just makes no sense to me.

It might make more sense if we still lived in the Middle Ages where marriage was all about some societal function and reproduction, but in the West we have moved far away from that.

Same goes for homosexuality, mental issues, etc. I didn't quite get your homosexuality argument. Would you tell your son, don't become gay as gays are statistically more likely to take drugs? ^^

And again, if someone falls in love with someone of another ethnic group, should they simply deny their feelings? If they did they might carry that on into their next relationship and maybe risk that, too. They would keep wondering what would have been if...

It may not make sense to get married to someone who is on a completely different socio-economic or educational level, but usually such people don't fall in love with each other anyway because they tend to have little to do with each other.

Compatibility is important, but that can exist between people of any race or ethnicity. To me for instance music is the essence of life. I suppose I am much more likely to have a successful relationship with a black woman who likes my music than with a white woman who loves completely different music or none at all.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Never has bothered me.

People should be free to choose whomever they want.

OP, when did you get over your issues with this?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:30 PM

99 posts, read 123,359 times
I am mixed... african american and italian american. And guess what? I am proud ... i know! the horror! I am quite normal - sometimes .... and yeah I think i'm a pretty cute girl... if I may say so myself.

I have NO problem with anyone dating whoever of whatever race.

Let's all get together and have mixed babies...wooohooo!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:52 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinBensalem View Post
I am mixed... african american and italian american. And guess what? I am proud ... i know! the horror! I am quite normal - sometimes .... and yeah I think i'm a pretty cute girl... if I may say so myself.

I have NO problem with anyone dating whoever of whatever race.

Let's all get together and have mixed babies...wooohooo!
I like the way you think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies