Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Change and Creation Science
Is Climate Change bunk and Creation Science reasonable? 12 17.39%
Is Climate Change and Creation Science bunk? 10 14.49%
Is Climate Change reasonable and Creation Science bunk? 40 57.97%
Is Climate Change reasonable and Creation Science reasonable. 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times

Advertisements

does anyone else see the irony in scientists claiming that some science isnt science?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 10:17 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
does anyone else see the irony in scientists claiming that some science isnt science?
What are you talking about?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Quote:

I think you misunderstand the meaning of irony.

Just because a fringe, fundamentalist group calls something science doesn't mean it's science.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
What are you talking about?
Do you know how many scientists got sideways with governments and the church over the years?

Galileo ring a bell? Now Science is blasting some folk because their “science” isn’t “real” science?

IRONY my friend. IRONY.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I think you misunderstand the meaning of irony.

Just because a fringe, fundamentalist group calls something science doesn't mean it's science.
Same thing was said about Copernicus.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Same thing was said about Copernicus.
What, to you, is science and how does biblical creation conform to it?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
What, to you, is science and how does biblical creation conform to it?
My friend, ALL science is based on hypothesis that is supported by some experimentation thus creating theory. All theory can be challenged.

I would also say in many instances the arguments for and against Evolution are very similar to the arguments for and against Creation Science.

I would not advocate either as “gospel”. Nor would I suggest inquiry into one is valid while inquiry into the other is worthless.

Science is always advanced by inquiry. Always.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I didn't answer your poll.

Creation science is a question of faith. And whether you subscribe to the belief or not, you should respect the faith of others.

Climate change is a characteristic of our planet. The climate has changed repeatedly over time. To some the issue seems to be whether humans have caused it or not. It seems obvious that as the human population has grown substantially over the centuries, that human activities would contribute to climate change, but not cause climate change. And at any rate, what's the point of that discussion? Shouldn't the discussion be on whether the science can accurately predict how the climate will change in the future, and the impact such changes will have on human populations (and whether we can prepare for those changes)?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
My friend, ALL science is based on hypothesis that is supported by some experimentation thus creating theory. All theory can be challenged.

I would also say in many instances the arguments for and against Evolution are very similar to the arguments for and against Creation Science.

I would not advocate either as “gospel”. Nor would I suggest inquiry into one is valid while inquiry into the other is worthless.

Science is always advanced by inquiry. Always.
"Creation science" has a supernatural basis. Science seeks to understand and explain the natural world. Relying on a supernatural explanation renders "creation science" not science.

The explanations of "creation science" are not based on empirical evidence - they are not subject to observation and experiments that are reproducible and verifiable by others. Empirical evidence is the fundamental cornerstone of science. Lacking that, "creation science" is not science.

The "hypothesis" underlying "creation science" (biblical creationism) is not a hypothesis at all, but rather a fundamental assumption. It is not subject to change in light of new data, new interpretations, or demonstration of error. Because of this, "creation science" is not science.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
[color=black][font=Verdana]My friend, ALL science is based on hypothesis that is supported by some experimentation thus creating theory.
That being the case then by definition we can determine that Creationism isn't a theory, which reduces your argument to meaningless fence straddling gibberish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies