Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should we honor during President's Day?
George Washington!!! 23 52.27%
Thomas Jefferson! 12 27.27%
Ronald Reagan! 9 20.45%
Abe Lincoln! 15 34.09%
George Bush (Jr. and/or Sr.)! 4 9.09%
Bill Clinton! 3 6.82%
Jimmy Carter! 0 0%
FDR / Dwight Eisenhower! 6 13.64%
Calvin Coolidge (the Roaring 20s)! 2 4.55%
JFK! 5 11.36%
Barack Hussein Obama, II. 3 6.82%
Other President(s) from 1800-1900! 0 0%
Other President(s) from 1901-1919! 0 0%
Other President(s) from 1961-1977! 0 0%
NONE of them! They ALL sucked! 3 6.82%
ALL PRESIDENTS, PAST AND PRESENT! 12 27.27%
Other / I do not know! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times

Advertisements

Regardless of party lines, of course all of them, like them or not. Would you want to fill in there shoes, for just one day. Some don't even give thought to President's day, just another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 AM

78 posts, read 102,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
WTF made Reagan particularly honorable? Grenada or Iran-Contra?

Honor all of them. Or at least send them a thought. It's a sucky job - long hours, no gratitude from at least 40% of the population, pathetic pay and moody loners thinking you're their ticket to herostratic fame.
Uh... How about honoring Ronald Reagan from saving the United States form 10 years of Liberal stagnation and inflation (stag-flation) of the 1970s or how about for his leadership in confronting the Soviets unilaterally, effectively winning the Cold War and bringing down the Berlin Wall by supporting the pro-democracy movement in Poland (unlike Hussein, who spits on the face of anti-dictatorship protesters in Iran today)?

No doubt, the job of a President is horrible and yet, the Presidents can't seem to get enough out of it. Power corrupts people. That is why the Founders wanted limited government, not the BushBama government that takes over everything and borrow the country into submission!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Originally "President's Day" was two holidays, Lincoln on the 12th and Washington on the 22nd. At some point, I guess in the late 70s or so, the were combined and became President's Day.

Other than government, schools and banks, businesses don't observe most holidays other than Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.
Liberals like to compare Lincoln with Washington and try and say Lincoln was greater than Washington. He was NOT. Lincol is just loved by Liberals because it's PC "Lincoln freed the slaves", while Washington chaired the writing of that annoying document Liberal-Progressives hate: The US Constitution.

President's Day should be called George Washington's Day, since he is da man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The President is just some guy--not anyone important.
.... With the power to effectively destroy the Republic with supermajorities in Congress, just as we saw in 2009. Obama came very close to collapsing the Republic... he might still pull it off, but we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Regardless of party lines, of course all of them, like them or not. Would you want to fill in there shoes, for just one day. Some don't even give thought to President's day, just another day.
I would like to be President for one day. I would hope we would not run out of missiles by the time I was done with Iran. lol

Iran is a huge problem and if we do not act soon, Israel will and it will be much worse.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense1 View Post
Who should we honor during President's Day?

I am only in my late 20s. But I understand President's Day used to be in honor of HONORABLE Presidents of the United States, like the beloved George Washington and Abe Lincoln.

So should we honor crooks like Bush and Obama today, President's Day 2010???

Or should we honor the truly honorable Presidents of Old (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln... Reagan)??

Who is YOUR fav President, who do YOU think of of when thinking honoring President's Day???
I notice you only put list the middle name for Obama....

Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Who should we honor during President's Day?

I am only in my late 20s. But I understand President's Day used to be in honor of HONORABLE Presidents of the United States, like the beloved George Washington and Abe Lincoln.
You precocious thing.

Quote:
So should we honor crooks like Bush and Obama today, President's Day 2010???

Or should we honor the truly honorable Presidents of Old (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln... Reagan)??

Who is YOUR fav President, who do YOU think of of when thinking honoring President's Day???
FDR... also cousin Teddy.

(Puzzled by "FDR/Dwight Eisenhower" and "Barack Hussein Obama/II")

Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Default Who should we honor during President's Day?

The holiday was intended as recognition of Washington and Lincoln.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
Teddy Roosevelt should be on the list. A great president and an important influence on the shaping of America.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
At one time Lincoln had a birthday and Washington had a birthday holiday, both in February. Some schools gave both days off (mine did) but Washington's birthday was the only federal holiday. Some brainiac decided to combine them and later some other brainiacs decided to make it the more general Presidents Day. At one time they were thinking of a separate early March holiday to honor the office but it never came to pass because it was too close to Washington's birthday.
I thought it became Presidents day when they added MLK to the holiday list, so that already short February didn't have too many holidays.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Uh... How about honoring Ronald Reagan <snip> for his leadership in confronting the Soviets unilaterally, effectively winning the Cold War and bringing down the Berlin Wall by supporting the pro-democracy movement in Poland
People actually believe that?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Honor all of them.

hell no, I cannot honor any president from teddy roosevelte to the current president, it would have been better if all the administrations of the 20th and 21st century would be forgotten.

all these presidents did was to limit the freedom of its citizens, they violated their sacred oath and should all be tarred and feathered.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 AM

24,418 posts, read 23,076,143 times
I remember as a kid getting free cherry lollipops ( two red cherry flavored hard candies on a bent green plastic "stem". They'd be free from the local bank, you'd just go in and ask for them or you could get them from some stores. This was back in the 1970s. People still ask for them but the company doesn't make them any more.
Cherry pies, and apple pies too were big on presidents day. Now the big grocery store chains don't sell them( Giant, Wal mart). I don't think many people even know what America was or is anymore. And not just all the immigrants and foreigners, people born here as well. The Fourth of July is just a day off with fireworks and God forbid you play patriotic music and not current crap music at parades and events. And they don't even know what Memorial Day or Veteran's Day or Flag Day or Labor Day is. Even Christmas is losing its religious importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies