Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
It seems it was not only the Dems back in the day who wanted to help America. All of them seem to have had a better connection to the American people.
Yeah, the GOP of today is drastically different from the one of the pre-1994 era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 12:32 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Yeah, the GOP of today is drastically different from the one of the pre-1994 era.
Well, I would say they will have a chance at redemption in the next few years.

They must change their image to regain credibility. Neoconism is not the answer to our problems.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Well, I would say they will have a chance at redemption in the next few years.

They must change their image to regain credibility. Neoconism is not the answer to our problems.
I sure hope you're right. I truly think without old school guys like Bruce Barlett, Paul Volcker & Alan Simpson, Washington wouldn't have a pray of getting us out of this economic mess.

The scary thing is when these old timers pass on, true fiscal conservatives may become extinct.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Obama, hands down. I would want to live in a "kinder, gentler nation". . . my recollection is that the Reagan era ushered in the commencement of poisonous bipartianship, all kinds of tax advantages for the rich, etc,while insisting that the disadvantaged "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps". . . Is'nt it time to acknowledge that trickle down economics is an absolute failure?
I agree. Obama, hands-down.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I sure hope you're right. I truly think without old school guys like Bruce Barlett, Paul Volcker & Alan Simpson, Washington wouldn't have a pray of getting us out of this economic mess.

The scary thing is when these old timers pass on, true fiscal conservatives may become extinct.
True Libertarians will save us someday. Not those wacko neocons pretending to be fiscal conservatives.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
So there was no robust recovery throughout the 80s? You are a Reagan Recovery denier.

He even had unions on his side.
You mean like the air traffic controllers?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:54 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Let's see.

Reagan:

Supported Middle Eastern terorists by trading arms for hostages.

Oops, I almost forgot:

And either lied about doing it or was so feeble-minded that he didn't know if he did it or not, depending on which story you pick. Neither, however, is particularly helpful to the defenders of his reputation.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
True Libertarians will save us someday. Not those wacko neocons pretending to be fiscal conservatives.
Is there a difference between Libertarians and fiscal conservatives?

Ron Paul is a Libertarian and yet he has been willing to work with an outspoken progressive like Alan Grayson.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Is there a difference between Libertarians and fiscal conservatives?

Ron Paul is a Libertarian and yet he has been willing to work with an outspoken progressive like Alan Grayson.
Libertarianism has fiscal conservatism within its rhelm of beliefs.

Not enough true fiscal conservatives are aware there is a party that has
strong beliefs in fiscal conservatism.

Ron Paul, while I appreciate his message, works for the Republican party.
That is a problem for me.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Libertarianism has fiscal conservatism within its rhelm of beliefs.

Not enough true fiscal conservatives are aware there is a party that has
strong beliefs in fiscal conservatism.

Ron Paul, while I appreciate his message, works for the Republican party.
That is a problem for me.
So are you saying the Libertarians are the only party that have true fiscal conservatives left?

Does not Paul run on the Libertarian ticket, I believe he has been on Bill Maher and Maddow Show.

From what I little I know of him, the GOP does not like him too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies