Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:48 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

NO! You understood what I said backwards and, based on that fact, I don't think I can help you understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
While everybody want to be independent from the grid,that would be prohibitively expensive.
One would have to buy batteries to store energy for after daylight...
So,we need the grid for those hours...
I wonder if "off grid" is really what is meant?

I know here in Texas, the utilities have to buy unused electricity from individuals.

that means when you can make electricity, you can sell back to the grid at the same rate they charge you, then when you arent making it, you buy from the grid. if you can make enough, you either owe nothing or you get a credit/check. that is far better than having to have batteries to store energy.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I'm not sure how increasing the budget for NASA by $1 Billion/year becomes "gutting funding for NASA?" Buzz Aldrin is certainly happy with the budget increase.

If you can't get basic facts straight, why should anyone put any merit in your statements?

Still fixated on the shinny penny?

"And he directed NASA to spend a billion per year on buying rides for American astronauts aboard new, commercially developed space vehicles-that's American space vehicles."

Commercially developed space vehicles?

Someone's been watching too many movies. Do you really see our astronauts flying into low orbit with billionaire fat cats in six seater rockets that do nothing except fly billionaire fat cats into low orbit?

A ride into space like that might get you somewhere with the cocktail waitress at the Holiday Inn, but it isn't a space program and it certainly won't facilitate research.

Skip ahead, skip ahead,...the pointless rides never take place.

Hubble was repaired, satellites were launched and lots of zero gravity research was performed because we had a shuttle program, but that is coming to an end without a credible replacement.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That is exciting news. I would be running my entire house on solar power right now if the initial cost wasn't so rediculously expensive it would take my lifetime to see a return on my investment.

5-8 years is a lifetime, really? Especially considering you're living in California, which has absolutely unreal incentives compared to most states. That's a bunk excuse.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I wonder if "off grid" is really what is meant?

I know here in Texas, the utilities have to buy unused electricity from individuals.

that means when you can make electricity, you can sell back to the grid at the same rate they charge you, then when you arent making it, you buy from the grid. if you can make enough, you either owe nothing or you get a credit/check. that is far better than having to have batteries to store energy.

Going off-grid is kind of silly. In many places it limits the ability for someone to get a mortgage on the home, and the utility will charge a crapload of money to re-connect the home back to the grid. If you're on-grid, stay on-grid, if you're off-grid, then it might make financial sense to stay off-grid rather than have the utility run lines out to you.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
5-8 years is a lifetime, really? Especially considering you're living in California, which has absolutely unreal incentives compared to most states. That's a bunk excuse.
If you want to give me the money I'll be more than happy to go solar. Otherwise, shut up. You don't know my financial situation.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If this pans out, it's a game changer.

We can make that stuff here and put it on everyone's roof as standard roofing material; it will be a while, but it's coming.

Not exactly. The same reason why blending panels into roof tile is silly....they breakdown really quickly. Especially in the warmer climates, you're going to be replacing panels every few years. Its currently a gimmick that really needs some work to become real-life effective, not just sounding good on paper.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If you want to give me the money I'll be more than happy to go solar. Otherwise, shut up. You don't know my financial situation.

You have enough to pay your electric bill monthly? If so, you have enough to go solar. I've seen people finance out their systems for less than they pay their monthly utility bills for. The difference is that unlike the utility bills, the solar payments will one day end and never increase. I think folks like to talk themselves into saying that they can't afford solar as an excuse for inaction.

There are countless goverment, municipal, state and federal programs that provide for easy financing of solar, making it feasible for people of all income ranges.

You can also lease a solar system through Solar City with no money down, although that's a crappy option IMO because you're still prone to a 4% annual price increase going that way.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:57 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Not exactly. The same reason why blending panels into roof tile is silly....they breakdown really quickly. Especially in the warmer climates, you're going to be replacing panels every few years. Its currently a gimmick that really needs some work to become real-life effective, not just sounding good on paper.
Think I might make ski clothing out of the stuff.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
think i might make ski clothing out of the stuff.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies