Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
What is gonna happen when all those people get training though and a bunch of them become unemployed because they can't find jobs and what will happen to business that employ entry level min wage jobs who need people to work min wage jobs for them?
You can look at it as the half full or half empty glass. To me you seem to be part of the problem by being negative, not part of the solution.

Nothing assures you will get a job. However, the more training and education you get, the higher the chances. Also, if a city, county, state or federal program is there to encourage some people that want to go higher, then it is wise to look first.

If I was in charge of running a local country program to encourage people that want to improve their lives and show dedication, I would first test them to see what are their skills, wishes, abilites, education background, etc. After that I may counsel them and help them choose a trade they think they would like but also that has demand in the local area. Does this assure them a job? No, but the odds are higher and they are more marketable than they were before. They have higher chances than the guy that is less educated and trained.
Example? I am one. I only had elementary education from Mexico. I had a hard time getting jobs. Sure, I got some here and there. I decided to go to the Job Corps and took an electrician course. Once I finished it I still coult not find a job as such. I got a job with slack manufactoring company pressing pants. I still looke for an electrician job until I finally got one. Had I not gone to the Job Corps would I have been able to eventually get that job? NO but since I now had a trade I became more marketable. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:58 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
You can look at it as the half full or half empty glass. To me you seem to be part of the problem by being negative, not part of the solution.

Nothing assures you will get a job. However, the more training and education you get, the higher the chances. Also, if a city, county, state or federal program is there to encourage some people that want to go higher, then it is wise to look first.

If I was in charge of running a local country program to encourage people that want to improve their lives and show dedication, I would first test them to see what are their skills, wishes, abilites, education background, etc. After that I may counsel them and help them choose a trade they think they would like but also that has demand in the local area. Does this assure them a job? No, but the odds are higher and they are more marketable than they were before. They have higher chances than the guy that is less educated and trained.
Example? I am one. I only had elementary education from Mexico. I had a hard time getting jobs. Sure, I got some here and there. I decided to go to the Job Corps and took an electrician course. Once I finished it I still coult not find a job as such. I got a job with slack manufactoring company pressing pants. I still looke for an electrician job until I finally got one. Had I not gone to the Job Corps would I have been able to eventually get that job? NO but since I now had a trade I became more marketable. Take care.
No I am looking at it realistically. I am not against training like I said before but at the same time I know that getting everyone training is not the be all answer it may help some people but not everyone. Training Education is no longer a guarantee of anything anymore look at all the people with education/training working low end jobs or unemployed. We have an economy which needs people to work these entry level low skill jobs or businesses will fail. What we need to do is make sure that the people working these jobs have enough to live on.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
Back in 1968 the US minimum wage was about 50% of the average hourly wage. Now it is at 25% and the average hourly wage is steady or dropping. You can raise the average hourly wage by upping the minimum wage. It can be a living wage. Try upping it to 15$/hr. With the cheap imports from china that will go a lot farther.
Exactly and businesses seemed to doing fine back then. Hmm maybe that means business could actually pay more.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
No I am looking at it realistically. I am not against training like I said before but at the same time I know that getting everyone training is not the be all answer it may help some people but not everyone. Training Education is no longer a guarantee of anything anymore look at all the people with education/training working low end jobs or unemployed. We have an economy which needs people to work these entry level low skill jobs or businesses will fail. What we need to do is make sure that the people working these jobs have enough to live on.
Yes, you looked at it negatively. I simply offered another option of many others and you come up with what ifs scenraio. Life is not fair and circiumsances in life do change which at times it is good for people to adjust. That may mean going into another field at least temporarily or look into some other new field. Many have done that and even done better. We do not need to find jobs for anyone to please them on what they want to do.
I agree with helping people, how? By letting the market do its thing withou hurtful and inefficient government intervention. Training and education is ALWAYS good. People are more valuable. It is interesting that what I have seen in the Army shows that. I just retired last year from the Army. When I talk to peers and attend seminars where veterans and retired Soldiers that ensured to get and education or training on a trade fair a lot better than those that never took time to get training and education. Take care.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, you looked at it negatively. I simply offered another option of many others and you come up with what ifs scenraio. Life is not fair and circiumsances in life do change which at times it is good for people to adjust. That may mean going into another field at least temporarily or look into some other new field. Many have done that and even done better. We do not need to find jobs for anyone to please them on what they want to do.
I agree with helping people, how? By letting the market do its thing withou hurtful and inefficient government intervention. Training and education is ALWAYS good. People are more valuable. It is interesting that what I have seen in the Army shows that. I just retired last year from the Army. When I talk to peers and attend seminars where veterans and retired Soldiers that ensured to get and education or training on a trade fair a lot better than those that never took time to get training and education. Take care.
Training and education is good for some people not everyone because like I have stated a million times not everyone is smart enough to get more training and there will not be enough jobs if everyone gets training. You can keep saying I am looking at it negatively but you can keep saying whatever you want to avoid the truth.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What do you think we need?
I have this theory based entirely off of nothing that if we increased the minimum wage to something that IS livable, that we may have less poverty. Less welfare cases. Etc.

I understand everyone's life is different. What one may think is a good wage, someone may think it's crap.

The min wage I believe in NJ is like $7.75. Let's say they slightly doubled it to $15. $15 an hour, IMO, is something that is livable. Especially in a dual income home. There would be no need for welfare, there would be enough for these people to pay their rent (or mortgage), pay their bills, and even have money left over to buy stuff. Buying stuff is a good thing. It stimulates the economy.

If more people have disposable money, then more people will be out there spending money. This way, the companies that DO pay the crappy min wage now..would eventually make up for now doubling the salaries of their workers.

I mean, it makes sense to me. But what about someone else?
Or is this a system to make people feel better about themselves compared to other people?
Great idea, one small flaw in the logic, if business has to double the cost of paying people dont you think they will pass that increased cost along to the customer? and by doubling the cost of the merchandise you are back to where you started..

Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Great idea, one small flaw in the logic, if business has to double the cost of paying people dont you think they will pass that increased cost along to the customer? and by doubling the cost of the merchandise you are back to where you started..
No. They won't be able to pass the cost onto the customer because they have to compete with products and services from other states and countries. They'll just have to settle for going out of business, in which case that person making $15/hr is now making $0/hr, along with the business owner.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Training and education is good for some people not everyone because like I have stated a million times not everyone is smart enough to get more training and there will not be enough jobs if everyone gets training. You can keep saying I am looking at it negatively but you can keep saying whatever you want to avoid the truth.
Training and educatio is good for some people? What you just stated remind me of one of my brother that sadly had that attitude. He expressed to me that his oldest son had no need for education because he felt he was not college material. He also had the same attitude with his daughter who he felt she was very smart and wanted her to go to college. His son could see that from the way my brother treated them, not badly just showed his attitude towards both. One felt more support and the other did not. The young man talked to me about his dreams regarding college, wanted to join JROTC at HS but my brother strongly discourage him just as in other areas after all he did not need that because he was not going to go to college.
Training and ecucation ALWAYS help. How it is use afterwards is the trick. There are people that went to college and wasted their time while there. Others did not. Others do go back to college because they recongnized they just had fun in those years. So no, I will not agree with this "Training and education is good for some people not everyone" statement. The training can help everybody when it is encouraged and to see what people have for goals, what incentive, etc. Even people with little education and not good with book can learn a trade however simple it may be.
The reason I state you look at it negatively is that I have seen that comment with negative people "I am realistic" Well, there is a difference between been rralistic and negative.
A realistic person realized something si not possible anymore. But a negative person finds 'what ifs' in areas that are not proven, not tried, suggested, etc. I simply suggested there can be training programs available. Those that want to take them fine but those that do not, OK, it is their lives. What you do? Already talking about not everybody may like them or something else. It is only a suggestion that can be put together with others. I am not saying it is a cure all solution. It is one of many to help people have better chances for work.
Your negative attitude does remind me of a conversation I had with a co-worker I had a long time ago. I was making negative comments to something he was talking about just as you have.
He finally told me the anecdote he hear somewhere:
He said one person told another
a. what would you do if you see a lion and he wanted to eat you?
b. I run.
a. and if he runs?
b. I then hide.
a. and if he find you?
b. then I clims a tree as high as possible.
a. If he climbs also?
b. at that point the reply was "you just want the lion to eat me, if that is the case why don't just say so".

A negative person will come up with 'what ifs' to show something cannot work, does not stop to see if the idea can work at least partially and how it may be used. That is why I see you as negative, not realistic. Take care.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Training and educatio is good for some people? What you just stated remind me of one of my brother that sadly had that attitude. He expressed to me that his oldest son had no need for education because he felt he was not college material. He also had the same attitude with his daughter who he felt she was very smart and wanted her to go to college. His son could see that from the way my brother treated them, not badly just showed his attitude towards both. One felt more support and the other did not. The young man talked to me about his dreams regarding college, wanted to join JROTC at HS but my brother strongly discourage him just as in other areas after all he did not need that because he was not going to go to college.
Training and ecucation ALWAYS help. How it is use afterwards is the trick. There are people that went to college and wasted their time while there. Others did not. Others do go back to college because they recongnized they just had fun in those years. So no, I will not agree with this "Training and education is good for some people not everyone" statement. The training can help everybody when it is encouraged and to see what people have for goals, what incentive, etc. Even people with little education and not good with book can learn a trade however simple it may be.
The reason I state you look at it negatively is that I have seen that comment with negative people "I am realistic" Well, there is a difference between been rralistic and negative.
A realistic person realized something si not possible anymore. But a negative person finds 'what ifs' in areas that are not proven, not tried, suggested, etc. I simply suggested there can be training programs available. Those that want to take them fine but those that do not, OK, it is their lives. What you do? Already talking about not everybody may like them or something else. It is only a suggestion that can be put together with others. I am not saying it is a cure all solution. It is one of many to help people have better chances for work.
Your negative attitude does remind me of a conversation I had with a co-worker I had a long time ago. I was making negative comments to something he was talking about just as you have.
He finally told me the anecdote he hear somewhere:
He said one person told another
a. what would you do if you see a lion and he wanted to eat you?
b. I run.
a. and if he runs?
b. I then hide.
a. and if he find you?
b. then I clims a tree as high as possible.
a. If he climbs also?
b. at that point the reply was "you just want the lion to eat me, if that is the case why don't just say so".

A negative person will come up with 'what ifs' to show something cannot work, does not stop to see if the idea can work at least partially and how it may be used. That is why I see you as negative, not realistic. Take care.
You are right we should push as much people as can into training and education. You said that it is not a cure all and you are right and that is where I am getting frustrated with people saying its the poor's fault they are poor and that they should just get an education or more skills without realizing that is is not that easy and the world does not work that way. You want to call me a negative person fine in that sense I will call you an unrealistic person if you think everyone can do better then min wage jobs. That thinking is just pure ignorance but I am not surprised because people like you will find any excuse to blame the poor I do not know if it makes you feel better about your life or what but it is arrogant and pathetic.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 AM

12 posts, read 8,495 times
My whole point is that if you look at the profit that corporate America makes, you cant tell me they can not pay a livable wage. Now this wage would be different depending on what part of the country you live in. Like here in CA. everything costs much more. By continuing to do what they are doing they are simply cutting their own throats in the end, all to support the greedy handful who never get enough and get all of it at the expense of all others. I do not know why i get so many arguements on this. I guess many are saying that in general, NO, you do not deserve a livable wage. Its only getting worse as now many only get part time work and no benefiets and certainly no retirment. Then corporations simply..move out of the country, not satisfied with the enourmosue profit they were already making, but with supreme indifference just leaving for cheap labour, not caring that in the end no one here will be able to buy thier products anyway for they will not only not have a livable wage, but NO wage of anykind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies