Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Your teacher had a legitimate reason to sue them as they violated ER protocols. People are supposed to be seen in the order of seriousness of their condition and not based upon first come, first served.
I agree. She did not sue though. I remember her saying that no amount of money would EVER make her son and happiness come back but she did go and have a talk with the person in charge. I remember she actually got a lot of parents and other adults get with it and go in front of the hospital and protest and talk about their concerns.

It was even worse when the man with the broken toe INSISTED. It is like...just do it then! Those "nurses" were probably too busy laughing about last nights reality drama. Or still drunk from a party.

Sad though, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,245 times
Urgent care has been around for about 14 years that I can remember, so has the phone and the phonebooks to make appts with doctors.
In the end, it is (or should be) about personal responsibility.
Many of these studies are skewed and done in different areas of the country. The results will vary from state to state etc...
The New York Times (is pinch still alive?).
Good health to all.
Please don't ditz the nurses as drunks. You have that mixed up; those are the patients.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:24 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Urgent care has been around for about 14 years that I can remember, so has the phone and the phonebooks to make appts with doctors.
In the end, it is (or should be) about personal responsibility.
Many of these studies are skewed and done in different areas of the country. The results will vary from state to state etc...
The New York Times (is pinch still alive?).
Good health to all.
Please don't ditz the nurses as drunks. You have that mixed up; those are the patients.
Not everyone has access to urgent care as they may not exist in all areas (particularly rural areas) and they are often not open 24/7. I'd much rather use an urgent care facility as it is cheaper than ER but not everyone has that option.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:43 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,245 times
I totaly agree.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
A pet gripe at our ER is family. There are some people who think that if one member of their family is admitted to the ER, the the entire clan including second and third cousins must go to the hospital. These people take up chairs in the waiting area that could be used by the sick and injured. They also stand out in hallways talking loudly and blocking traffic. If your family member is admitted to the ER, only the two closest relatives should go to the ER with that person. One to sit with the person and the other in the waiting area to pass on information or to change places with the one waiting with the family member. All others should stay at home or work and wait for a phone call for an update. We had one family asked to leave because they had over 20 family members in the waiting area, including children and infants, and they were setting up for a big family dinner with crock pots, plates, and other items. They refused to get out way for hospital beds, hospital staff, or guest coming in and out the ER. When asked to leave, they threatened to sue for racism. Don't know if they ever did or not.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

MY POINT: IT'S NICE TO PUT TO REST A MYTH THAT UNINSURED PEOPLE MAKE UP THE BULK OF THE PEOPLE IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM!!
I wasn't trying to make it into an issue about health care reform but it seems you want to take it there.

There are plenty of people who would like to see a regular physician but can't because last time I checked, there aren't any many doctors offices opened past 6pm and open before 8am (9am around here...).

Plus sometimes you just can't go down to the family doctor for your problem. Sometimes the ER is the best place to go.
It depends what E R you are talking about. The ER in Little Rock Ar. has a lot less then the ER in Brownsville Texas.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It doesn't matter who is running it or paying for it, more insureds will bring more patients to the ERs and the drs offices.

You are correct and that is something that no one in Washington is thinking about. That is why this health-care reform is a joke. The idea of everyone having health care is great but there IS a ripple effect and no one is talking about that. No one is addressing how that will be handled.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
That quote came from a nurse in Connecticut. I'd bet my life savings that an ER nurse in Texas would have a very different opinion about that.

The two times I've gone to an ER it was full of illegal mexicans. Somehow I don't think they're paying into US healthcare, just taking it.
Ok so now we will add so many more on top of the illegals. The issue needs to be talked about and dealt with.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I have medical insurance and it costs 50 dollars for an ER visit. I can save 40 dollars to go to urgent care instead. If everyone had insurance, then they would go to their provider's urgent care facility versus being forced to go to the ER as the uninsured currently does.
Really and how do you know what the cost will be for those that go to the ER when on the Governement plan? And what if you live in an area where there are no urgent care facilities?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think you have some things confused. Why do you think "these people" will abuse the ER, any more than anyone else. If you read the link, or Purple Love's post on this thread, only 17% of ER users are uninsured. A lot of insured are using the ER inappropriately.
And it's been my experience that many of the "insured" using the ER inappropriately are those on medicaid. But you know, it's just anecdotal observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies