Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you marry your complete political opposite?
Yes. 35 39.77%
No. 36 40.91%
Very, very rare chance. 17 19.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:11 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is that elitist attitude, rearing its ugly head.
I'm better than you, so I know what's best for you.

It is people like you that cause the mess and stir the crap, because you think your sh*t doesn't stink.
That is why November mid terms, can't come quick enough.
No offense but I am only stating what is true. During the Republican primaries for president a question was: do you believe in evolution? Only half of the 9 candidates raised their hands [including McCain & Ron Paul]. The rest believe the world was made 6000 years ago! No one can accept stupidity whether you go to college or not. Superstition is silly & young people laugh at those Republicans who preach against gay sex yet turn around and have sex with hundreds of women besides their wives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Would you marry someone who had the complete opposite political ideologies as you?

I don't think I could. It would be hard. Especially every 4 years, I would show support for the Liberal/Democrat guy or gal and he would do the opposite. I dont think it would work. We would probably both fight a lot.

You?
Sure, it would probably also make for some great sex.

Just sayin'.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
No offense but I am only stating what is true. During the Republican primaries for president a question was: do you believe in evolution? Only half of the 9 candidates raised their hands [including McCain & Ron Paul]. The rest believe the world was made 6000 years ago! No one can accept stupidity whether you go to college or not. Superstition is silly & young people laugh at those Republicans who preach against gay sex yet turn around and have sex with hundreds of women besides their wives.

I don't think I've seen an openly gay conservative Republican.
If your gay, your not going to have trouble finding someone else that is gay, with the same political views as yours, to be your partner in life.

Other then that, why hijack the thread?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm a liberal and I have many dear friends who are conservatives. It works out fine since we are all adults and are able to discuss issues on which we disagree without being disagreeable and nasty about it. It would be a boring world....and a boring marriage....if people agreed on everything. In the real world (as opposed to this forum) people are able to co-exist nicely even though they disagree about politics because they treat one another with respect and make the assumption that the other person is a good person who is coming from a place of honest beliefs.
Yes, I agree. I am pretty conservative and I have liberal friends. I have ultra-liberal friends. I have completely wacky conservative bible-thumping friends that make us all roll our eyes a little. And we all get along despite our wide and varied beliefs.

However, I don't think I could marry someone whose beliefs deviated too far from mine, because part of those beliefs is what I feel you build your life upon. Certain values have to jive...I almost feel that has to be true for me to trust them at the intimate level you reserve for your spouse.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I don't think I've seen an openly gay conservative Republican.
If your gay, your not going to have trouble finding someone else that is gay, with the same political views as yours, to be your partner in life.

Other then that, why hijack the thread?
I am openly gay. My wife is, too. We both work our butts off, are well-off, and are pretty staunch Republicans.

So they do exist. And there are more of them than most people think.

Gays have bought into this fantasy that the democratic party is going to somehow endow them with rights or do them favors that the republicans would not. The memory of DOMA dies quickly, I guess...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Would you marry someone who had the complete opposite political ideologies as you?

I don't think I could. It would be hard. Especially every 4 years, I would show support for the Liberal/Democrat guy or gal and he would do the opposite. I dont think it would work. We would probably both fight a lot.

You?
When my girlfriend and I met, she was VERY liberal. I was more than I am now, but compared to her I was a staunch conservative (which if you knew her then, you'd know that wasn't saying much).

We've been together twelve years now, and living together for three. We don't see eye to eye on everything, but she's coming around quite nicely. Of course, the wisdom that comes with age, as well as the experience of owning a business have both played significant roles in changing her perceptions and her positions.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:05 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
I could never be married to anyone who didn't think along the same lines as I do, politically. The marriage wouldn't last a month Not to mention - total opposite. I think that would only work if you both were Mutes

I could never be married to an evangelical right wing Republican. I might commit bodily harm
Slapping one silly comes to mind

Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
How about an Evangelical left wing liberal? Yes we do exist. And not all who believe that God created the heavens and the earth believe that He did so 6000 years ago. We believe that God has His own timetable and is not constricted to the human 24/7, 365 days a year calendar. And yes we do believe that He uses many methods to create His plan. And guess what. Some of us actually believe that He created people of many preferences and if He loved gay people, people of many races, etc. enough to send His son to die for them than we certainly do not have the right to think ourselves superior to them.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
No, because I would see my direct political opposite as motivated by selfishness and prejudice, and refusing to accept that other human beings poorer or of a different color, nationality or social class are his brothers, sisters, children and parents and are not to be ignored, used or abused. And he'd go to some church that encourages that POV, or worse -- some self-serving "gospel" that has nothing to do with Jesus and twists the Bible to reflect themselves.

And he'd see me as an unrealistic softy, I guess.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
I see almost half the voters say YES...

I understand now why half the marriages in USA go bust...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies