Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,996 times

Advertisements

I had read another news report that this particular orca has had fatal incidents in the past.

Looks like there are still conflicting reports though... trainer slipped vs orca thrashing and killing her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Orca's eat seals, people in wet suits look like seals. We are teaching them to play with their food. Not a huge fan of the whale shows. I love looking at them, but that is about it. They really do belong out at sea. That said, for the parks and our amusement we could keep the injured ones in the big tanks for viewing.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I had read another news report that this particular orca has had fatal incidents in the past.

Looks like there are still conflicting reports though... trainer slipped vs orca thrashing and killing her.

A couple eye witnesses state the Orca came up and grabbed the trainer and thrashed her.

I agree with the posts from above about keeping these animals in captivity, it's just not right.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
So where do you draw the line between animal captivity and pet ownership? Only when entertainment is involved? Does the animal know better? Does the animal even care? Does it matter?
Pets should be domesticated animals, with an exception for fish and turtles.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 PM

This isn't the first time that an Orca has gone postal on management. Maybe they could use a union?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This isn't the first time that an Orca has gone postal on management. Maybe they could use a union?

LMAO... that was classic!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Stuff like this has happened in the past at Sea World (no deaths, but injury), not just whales, but those lovable dophins you see. I've been to Sea World in Orlando and San Diego plenty of times. They say these trainers are college trained in their field, but I gotta say the ones I see are kids and they don't look much different from the kids selling popcorn at the stands.

People gotta realize Killer Whales, Dolphins, etc...they are all animals/mammals. People put some kind of majestic intellegence to them - they have language, etc. Nahhh, I've read all the studies - when the dolphin is chirping he isn't trying to communicate the pain or the wisdom of his species to all mankind. He simply saying "give me some damn fish".

Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
Condolences to the family but I'm not surprised.
You can't take a magnificent beast like an Orca and train it like a domesticated dog. The Orca should have never been in captivity. Just another example of man trying to play God by trying to control a wild animal that should have not been caged.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Stuff like this has happened in the past at Sea World (no deaths, but injury), ".

Actually it has, this is same whale that killed someone in 1999.

In 1999, Tillikum was blamed for the death of a 27-year-old man whose body was found floating on his back in a tank at SeaWorld, the apparent victim of a whale's "horseplay," authorities said then.
The Orange County Sheriff's Office said the man apparently hid in the park until after it closed and then climbed into the tank.
The 11,000-pound, 22-foot-long whale was "not accustomed to people being in his tank" and "wouldn't have realized he was dealing with a very fragile human being," Solomons said at the time.
"He may have been a victim of what a whale would call horseplay, just playing around," Solomons said.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
People put some kind of majestic intellegence to them - they have language, etc. Nahhh, I've read all the studies - when the dolphin is chirping he isn't trying to communicate the pain or the wisdom of his species to all mankind. He simply saying "give me some damn fish".
You've read all the studies? Yeah, ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies