Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 03:29 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times

Advertisements

It's not just the wars, but the weapons development budget. They've both soared in the past 8 years. I'm afraid the US will be in the middle east for some time. Iran is an even bigger prize than Iraq, especially if the US moves toward clean energy technology. Iran has 5 times as much natural gas as the United States and the US is already an importer of natural gas.

List of countries by natural gas proven reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of countries by proven oil reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
"Old People" huh? You mean like the ones that stormed the beach at Normandy and defeated the Nazi War Machine? The Greatest Generation? The ones that had more courage in their pinky fingers than some greedy, zit-faced, Starbucks-swilling economist has in his whole wimpy body?
If it weren't for some of those old people, you'd be posting this tripe in German right now.
Sprechen de deutcsh?
So, again: I ask: Is it those old people you're talkin' about?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
"Old People" huh? You mean like the ones that stormed the beach at Normandy and defeated the Nazi War Machine? The Greatest Generation? The ones that had more courage in their pinky fingers than some greedy, zit-faced, Starbucks-swilling economist has in his whole wimpy body?
If it weren't for some of those old people, you'd be posting this tripe in German right now.
Sprechen de deutcsh?
That generation is 85+.

There are 1.9 million men of that generation alive. There are 40 million people 65 plus. I doubt more than 10% of the 1.9 actually fought in the war. I'll pay them all day long, what about the other 38 million?

A 65 year old today was born after the war BTW, update your play book.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Sprechen de deutcsh?
During WWII, it was not the troops who showed a bravery that it not seen today, it was the civilians at home. Soldiers are soldiers and are conditioned to do what they are told even at high risk. But back on the home front, it was the civilians who made years of sacrifice to win the war. Travel was rationed, the food supply was skimpy and monotonous, no new personal goods were available, people worked extra jobs, money was invested in war bonds.

It was the people who stayed home who were the Greatest Generation.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 AM

541 posts, read 1,340,145 times
ok,i am european,trying to find out the cost of american wars..please help me understand better this numbers:
COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War

Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
That generation is 85+.

There are 1.9 million men of that generation alive. There are 40 million people 65 plus. I doubt more than 10% of the 1.9 actually fought in the war. I'll pay them all day long, what about the other 38 million?

A 65 year old today was born after the war BTW, update your play book.
What about the other 38 million CITIZENS of this country? Would you rather keep paying out for the 30 million illegal immigrants who are sucking on the government teat? Toss the illegals under the bus before a U.S. citizen any day!

More than likely they still answered their nations call fighting in Korea and Vietnam. While these were not wars on a grand scale of WWII, they still served honorably when called during a time when it wasn't so popular to serve. There were no brass bands at the airports when the now 65+ year olds returned from war. No parades, no job programs. They endured the draft, and most served.

For the non-vets who either weren't called or didn't answer the call, more than likely they worked, paid their taxes, voted, and contributed their fair share. To pull the rug out from under them would be a huge injustice.

Quit bailing out billionaire CEO's and continue paying them 100 million dollar bonuses every year. Stop spending trillions on wars that have no clearly defined objective or victory, fight to win or don't fight at all, but define victory and then act accordingly. Stop providing health care, education, shelter, and amnesty to illegal immigrants. For those who support them, adopt a family and pay all their expenses...are you listening Sean Penn and others of your ilk? Stop allowing frivolous lawsuits by inmates around the nation which cost taxpayers billions each year. Not to mention the hundreds of millions in fraud in our government contractor sector.

There are plenty of places to cut costs, hitting an easy target like the elderly is cowardly and deceitful.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
What about the other 38 million CITIZENS of this country? Would you rather keep paying out for the 30 million illegal immigrants who are sucking on the government teat? Toss the illegals under the bus before a U.S. citizen any day!

More than likely they still answered their nations call fighting in Korea and Vietnam. While these were not wars on a grand scale of WWII, they still served honorably when called during a time when it wasn't so popular to serve. There were no brass bands at the airports when the now 65+ year olds returned from war. No parades, no job programs. They endured the draft, and most served.

For the non-vets who either weren't called or didn't answer the call, more than likely they worked, paid their taxes, voted, and contributed their fair share. To pull the rug out from under them would be a huge injustice.

Quit bailing out billionaire CEO's and continue paying them 100 million dollar bonuses every year. Stop spending trillions on wars that have no clearly defined objective or victory, fight to win or don't fight at all, but define victory and then act accordingly. Stop providing health care, education, shelter, and amnesty to illegal immigrants. For those who support them, adopt a family and pay all their expenses...are you listening Sean Penn and others of your ilk? Stop allowing frivolous lawsuits by inmates around the nation which cost taxpayers billions each year. Not to mention the hundreds of millions in fraud in our government contractor sector.

There are plenty of places to cut costs, hitting an easy target like the elderly is cowardly and deceitful.
The cost of IRAQ and Afgan has been around 980 billion not trillions. There are about 11 million illegal’s and over 10% of them went home last year. Did my post say anything about wanting to continue or start news wars, or pay for illegal’s?

Did I even hint at cutting SS to anyone? I am against ALL bailouts, not just for banks. I am against ALL corporate welfare and I am for cutting government massively.

I posted a few simple facts with no commentary, why do you assume any of what you posted? It makes your rants even less beneficial.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The cost of IRAQ and Afgan has been around 980 billion not trillions. There are about 11 million illegal’s and over 10% of them went home last year. Did my post say anything about wanting to continue or start news wars, or pay for illegal’s?

Did I even hint at cutting SS to anyone? I am against ALL bailouts, not just for banks. I am against ALL corporate welfare and I am for cutting government massively.

I posted a few simple facts with no commentary, why do you assume any of what you posted? It makes your rants even less beneficial.
What you implied was that you had no problem paying for the small percentage vets of who served in wars, but not the other 38 million citizens who paid taxes and held up their end of the bargain. I'm stating that we have at least 20 and closer to 30 million estimated illegal immigrants in this country (not the 11 million you claim), and how would it be fair or even logical to consider cutting off our own senior CITIZENS, before cutting off all illegals?

My other points were independent of your post. Just suggestions on how we can cut costs without cutting off support to our senior citizens. BTW, it may have cost less than a trillion to fight two wars, but it costs trillions to maintain that military might, of which we only use a small percentage of our true capabilities. Paying for technologies we'll never use. Not to mention the waste that takes place in the millions for frivolous spending like changing uniform patterns or the method in which we deploy our materials and weapons. I've seen first hand how much is wasted in transport and deployment costs and it's staggering that no one has addressed the issue.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Stop allowing frivolous lawsuits by inmates around the nation which cost taxpayers billions each year. .
On the other hand, we could release about a million non-violent prisoners immediately, skip all the appeals, and save about 50-billion a year. The friivolous lawsuits you're talking about probably cost us less than one billion, but I will accept any figure you can cite from a valid source.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
During WWII, it was not the troops who showed a bravery that it not seen today, it was the civilians at home. Soldiers are soldiers and are conditioned to do what they are told even at high risk. But back on the home front, it was the civilians who made years of sacrifice to win the war. Travel was rationed, the food supply was skimpy and monotonous, no new personal goods were available, people worked extra jobs, money was invested in war bonds.

It was the people who stayed home who were the Greatest Generation.
Spoken like someone who never served his country in combat. Well, as a guy who's been shot at defending his country, I can tell you that most soldiers are not conditioned at all for immersion in combat. Why? Because there's no way to do it until you've been there. "Seen the elephant" as they said in the Civil War. Our military was in a very feeble and under-manned state prior to WWII, and it took a lot of courage for thise young kids to buck-up and enlist and go fight the Nazi Wermacht, especailly after they saw all those newsreels of how large and powerful it was. It's not only obvious you never served, and stayed home with the women, but also pretty evident you've never even talked with a WWII vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies