Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we a Christian nation?
Yes 90 24.26%
No 212 57.14%
To an extent 69 18.60%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Justice Brewer clarified what he meant by 'Christian nation.' He argued that Christian principles were the fabric of American legal, political, social institutions, and were the source of law. He used the term 'Christian nation' in the way some on this thread have --- as a controlling factor in the development of the nation, its culture, traditions, and lives of most of its people.

Using your restricted meaning, we were not a Christian nation. Using Brewer's broader meaning, we were.
And once again, Ad Nauseum...just because people claim they are something, means NOTHING. Brewer, clearly speaking of "Christians" as statistics, makes claim that many people in this country are "Christian". False. He is very wrong on that account. This has been debunked through Scripture and logic many times.

Just because I call myself a doctor, means nothing. Just because I call myself a "Christian", means nothing.

"Justice Brewer's decision was not, therefore, any attempt to argue that the laws in the United States should enforce Christianity or reflect solely Christian concerns and beliefs. He was simply making an observation which is consistent with the fact that people in this country tend to be Christian."

False. I can see why because he was looking at it statistically, not Spiritually or Scripturally. Finn and others seem to want to maintain a shallow label facade in order to front their false belief that this country should be run as a theocracy.

Either a "Christian" believes we should be a theocracy, or they believe we are all statistics. There is no inbetween - but rest assured someone will come along a post or so after me and try to argue one.

Position 1: "We are a Christian nation because most of us are Christian." Either this is a shallow, statistical argument or it is FALSE.
Position 2: "We are a Christian nation because the Founding Fathers were Christian." FALSE.
Position 3: "We are a Christian nation because the Constitution was divinely inspired." FALSE.
Position 4: "We are a Christian nation because the principles we were founded on were Christian principles." So I'm still wondering how a man-made government document written 240 years ago somehow makes us "Christian" today? Written by Deists, a Constitution that has been amended in order to give a certain race the ability to not be enslaved and be able to be counted as people? Yes, quite "Christian".

The Founders held labels. Most American "Christians" hold labels. These are LABELS - NUMBERS. They held them because it was negatively viewed to not hold them. American "Christians" hold labels because they are told that if you label yourself, you are somehow that thing. I am a construction worker! Then build me that house. *hits finger with hammer* No worries...you're still a construction worker.

I've worded it 6 different times, in addition to the past 20 times. My guess is another time won't get through.

I guess my expectations of this forum were overblown.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 PM

311 posts, read 605,818 times
America is a Christian nation and will always be. Read the constitution and you will clearly see God and Lord Jesus Christ mentioned besides our holidays and culture being based on the Christian.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
America is a Christian nation and will always be. Read the constitution and you will clearly see God and Lord Jesus Christ mentioned besides our holidays and culture being based on the Christian.
I am agog to hear why you think the Constitution is Christian. See post #615 for my breakdown of why I think the Constitution is not at all Christian.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Justice Brewer clarified what he meant by 'Christian nation.' He argued that Christian principles were the fabric of American legal, political, social institutions, and were the source of law. He used the term 'Christian nation' in the way some on this thread have --- as a controlling factor in the development of the nation, its culture, traditions, and lives of most of its people.

Using your restricted meaning, we were not a Christian nation. Using Brewer's broader meaning, we were.
Justice Brewer clarified that he was merely stating a fact that most people in America are Christian. Christian principles most certainly are not the fabric of American legal, political and social institution, nor are they the the source of law. Justice Brewer clearly stated in 1905 that such was not the case because of the Constitution.

Simply put if what you say were true we would be a Monarchy there are no bones about it. Republican government is 100% foreign to the Bible and is the product of traditions that already existed in Europe by the arrival of Christianity. In fact you can see a clear correlation between Christianity and a decline in said Republican institutions wherever Christianity spread since, Christian/Biblical government is anathema to Republicanism. There are only two forms of government endorsed in the bible. Monarchy and government by priest-king judges. Republicanism and having a Christian based government are 100% incompatible and that should be clear from the Bible.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,370,905 times
The reason why so many Americans think they live in a Christian nation, is because the politicians have tickled their ears with what they'd like to believe is true. Obama and every other president uses "one nation under God" and similar expressions because of one thing only:

it gets votes.

IF they are truly Christian people, they would not be promoting the use of violence and war. They would be Peacemakers. (among other things)

Peace,
brian

Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
It seems to be you don't absorb information very efficiently. I just think you don't want to accept the fact that your position doesn't exist...as you have no position.
No my friend, it is not about being too stupid to understand. There is a difference between absorbing and agreeing. You have failed in your attempts to persuade anyone that your view is correct. I said I agree with justice Brewers view, which happens to be the same view I have explained here many times. That is one view, and one way to define what a christian nation means. You have your view, and your own definition. You are right only in your own mind and the minds of those who agree with your definition. You can repeat your arguments, and insist that your view is the only correct one, but to me and to many others it will always be wrong.

Now THAT should not be too hard to absorb, but apparently you are having great difficulty in comprehending the fact that people can have different views in issues where right and wrong have not been defined. I think you just need to learn to respect other people's views, just like they respect yours.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
The reason why so many Americans think they live in a Christian nation, is because the politicians have tickled their ears with what they'd like to believe is true. Obama and every other president uses "one nation under God" and similar expressions because of one thing only:

it gets votes.

IF they are truly Christian people, they would not be promoting the use of violence and war. They would be Peacemakers. (among other things)

Peace,
brian
Oh yes, Brian , I guess you went through life being peaceful with everyone you came across. Sounds self -righteous to make a claim that there should not be war at all. There will always be aggressors and that is fact.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
The Constitution does not mention God nor Jesus. Try reading it.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Oh yes, Brian , I guess you went through life being peaceful with everyone you came across. Sounds self -righteous to make a claim that there should not be war at all. There will always be aggressors and that is fact.
Yes, indeed.

Romans 13: 4 For the one inauthority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer

This does not mean the authority can never be wrong, but it shows that God sees having police and military as a necessary part of a society. They are God's servants.

Remember that next time you go to the airport and see TSA agents .

Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, indeed.

Romans 13: 4 For the one inauthority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer

This does not mean the authority can never be wrong, but it shows that God sees having police and military as a necessary part of a society. They are God's servants.

Remember that next time you go to the airport and see TSA agents .
So you two think it's god's will that babies, pregnant women, and all other types of"wrongdoing" humans get blown apart to keep you "safe".

Must make you so proud of this christian nation...

Now, again, what would change if everybody agreed this was a christian nation????

I know, you just can't answer.....because nothing would've been different.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies