Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. Where do we draw the lines at what kind of marriage is acceptable and not acceptable according to the government? Why shouldn't government ban interracial marriage? It's not natural (not natural in the sense that it's not very common).

Should there be votes on whether to ban interracial marriage?

An article snippet in 2009:

(AP) NEW ORLEANS A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

So, if gay marriage is banned for not being natural. Shouldn't interracial marriage be banned for not being natural (in the sense that it's not common and such)?

How would ya'll feel if interracial marriage was banned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times

No one in the OP said interracial marriage is "not natural". (Besides you)

Old 03-06-2010, 07:57 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
Wow... I'm in favor of gays being able to get married but I'm strongly opposed to this sort of ridiculous attempt to equate gay marriage to interracial marriage. It's irrational, the analogy falls apart on so many levels that it's pointless to try to list all of them, and it's a blatant attempt to gravy-train the civil rights movement instead of doing the hard work of gaining your rights honestly, without denigrating the hard work of the heros who marched in the South, sat in the front of buses and at whites-only counters, and died for the cause of being recognized as human.

There's no comparison. If I were Black I would be offended by the OP. Heck, even as a white guy I'm offended by it. Come off your high horse and deal directly with the issue at hand --- you should be able to marry whoever you want as long as you're both consenting adult humans. That's my personal opinion, others disagree, let the good times roll. But don't equate your cause with the civil rights movement.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times

I would feel that this country is very backwards and I would be working to leave. There are a lot of backwards people and backwards laws already in this nation, but that would put the icing on the cake for me. I would like for gay people to get legally married in all states or at least something that is identical to marriage . I think in the UK, they call gay marriage "civil unions" or something like that. Compare to other developed countries, America is behind. As an atheist, I would have a hard time becoming president. Being black, there are some parts of America(small towns especially) where its not safe for people of my background or a minority to be in.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:33 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Gay marriage (which I do support) is another issue entirely. So much so that I can't even believe I am responding to this thread.

But anyway, say interracial marriage is banned. Then what? All children of interracial marriages are next on the ban list? I'm a pretty non-violent person and don't even like guns in the house, but I can promise you, if a country I lived in were to start reverting to policies like that, I'd be in weapons training in a heartbeat. Scary times.

By the way, that Louisiana Justice resigned after that fiasco. And I somehow doubt he is fully at peace with himself and his decisions.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Wow... I'm in favor of gays being able to get married but I'm strongly opposed to this sort of ridiculous attempt to equate gay marriage to interracial marriage.
Ted Olson disagrees.

The Conservative Case For Gay Marriage - Newsweek.com

Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
I'm just curious. Where do we draw the lines at what kind of marriage is acceptable and not acceptable according to the government? Why shouldn't government ban interracial marriage? It's not natural (not natural in the sense that it's not very common).

(AP) NEW ORLEANS A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

So, if gay marriage is banned for not being natural. Shouldn't interracial marriage be banned for not being natural (in the sense that it's not common and such)?

Because the Supreme Court Ruled those laws UNCONSTITUTIONAL in 1967.
So you'd best start collecting signatures you'll need to Amend the Constitution

I guess it shows that bigotry isn't limited to hetrosexuals

Last edited by Boompa; 03-06-2010 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
What a great idea, I can trade my older white wife in for a young brown one.
Now, who among you is brave enough to tell my current wife what will be happening ?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:

Well, you definitely have some nerve even suggesting this. I'm gonna mix me a nice stiff drink and sit back and watch this one develop. That's if a mod doesn't shut it down first.

People like you are a disgrace to decent gay folk on CD that are trying to further their cause. Are you actually a gay racist? Or is this just an angry "retaliation thread" to the bans on gay marriage.

Personally, I think it is perfectly normal for people of different races to have a relationship. My wife is Japanese (she is 3rd generation while I am 2nd generation German). While I believe that it is a gay mans right to do what he wants behind closed doors, most people would conclude that it is "unnatural" for a man to stick his penis into another man's rectum. Unnatural is not a defining factor for whether something is "right" or "wrong". Abortion is unnatural but perfectly legal.

Do not fear. In due time gay marriage will be legalized in all states. It is a work in progress. Sadly, your rational is shallow enough to compare the evolving status of gay marriage to the proposed banning of interratial marriage.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:39 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:

There is nothing “unnatural” about my mother or her siblings, and there is nothing “unnatural” about my son. They are all the result of interracial marriages. Why don’t we ban gay bigots instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies