Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:28 AM

14,490 posts, read 11,314,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
I don't object to those saying NO from a standpoint of reason and knowledge but MOST are saying "NO" just to say "NO" and making stuff up to justify the "NO".
What on earth makes you think most people are saying no to uhc just to say no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 AM

938 posts, read 1,232,082 times
Then

Now

Somethings never change

Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM

938 posts, read 1,232,082 times
Barry is a bad influence on kids too....

Old 03-09-2010, 11:17 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,542,819 times
If a president's activities had any influence on citizens, we'd all be saying nu-ku-ler by now, so no, Obama's smoking is irrelevant to passing health care reform.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,978,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Isn't Obama actually contributing to higher healthcare costs by smoking cigarettes? Not only to him...but to others with secondhand smoke?

To me, it's akin to someone addicted to alcohol heading a campaign against drunk driving. Or an overweight person leading a campaign against diabetes.

Seems like a major PR problem to me.
I certainly am not an Obama supporter, but I don't think you are being totally fair either...Who would you suggest head it up?
We all have habits that are unhealthy or someone tells us is unhealthy..I hate smoking (well I don't smoke, but I mean smokers) but I know I have other habits that are not good for me.

Any of you who think you are so perfect please volunteer to help with the fight against everything.

Nita

Old 03-09-2010, 12:25 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,542,862 times
IMO, having Obama push healthcare reform as a smoker is as bad as Sara Palin's oldest daughter taking a stance on unwanted teen pregnancy. My point is less a Democrat/Republican thing and more about the rediculousness and contradiction of a man banking his complete political career on a bill pushing for lower healthcare costs while he continues to smoke everyday.

I wonder if he'd support the current bill if all remained as is, with the added clause of charging cigarette smokers 10 times more than the non-smoker for insurance coverage. Life insurance policies are written that way...why not health insurance policies?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:42 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,563,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
Barry is a bad influence on kids too....

He's got a Korean kid?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,563,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
IMO, having Obama push healthcare reform as a smoker is as bad as Sara Palin's oldest daughter taking a stance on unwanted teen pregnancy. My point is less a Democrat/Republican thing and more about the rediculousness and contradiction of a man banking his complete political career on a bill pushing for lower healthcare costs while he continues to smoke everyday.

I wonder if he'd support the current bill if all remained as is, with the added clause of charging cigarette smokers 10 times more than the non-smoker for insurance coverage. Life insurance policies are written that way...why not health insurance policies?

How about charging drinkers of soft drinks more for their health care? Or, eaters of "bad" foods? How about more for bicycle riders and tennis players and joggers, all of whom get injured? Why not higher health insurance premiums for everyone who drives a car or goes to work or has ever gotten sick?

Hell, let's just raise EVERYONE'S health insurance premiums 100% to pay for the cost of the risk involved in living. Including YOURS.

Ya OK with that? Why not?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,401,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Considering the fact that smoking related illnesses cost America 157 billion dollars per year (American Cancer Society), yes.
I guess we should add a tax to some foods to pay for the carnage of all the eating and food related heart disorders. The higher the fat content, calories, sugar the higher the tax. Christmas is going to be hell when the price of egg nog doubles. An extra tax for the alcohol related illnesses and disorders. There goes happy hour.

Tax hookers for the sex related diseases they supposedly cause. Tax dope dealers. GAWD, the list is endless.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:04 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,592,188 times
Everybody knows he won't be partaking in any of his "reform." He's not that stupid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies