Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,552,462 times

Advertisements

This entire thread not only made me laugh, but also shake my head. Maybe no one followed up or recalled a very popular fight among the toy makers Mattel and MGA Entertainment. Little girls (mostly minorities) gravitated towards the Bratz dolls over Barbie dolls.

There was a HUGE fight in late 2008 that came to blows early 2009 that put a halt to the marketing and selling of Bratz dolls. That judgement was lifted by 2nd quater of 2009 and now once again little girls are purchasing these dolls. My 15 year old has a collection of 40 of these dolls (and still collecting thanks to the lift) still in the package, she was kind of disappointed when she began seeing them sold in the stores again.

This has nothing to do with race, nothing to do with minority little girls prefering white barbie over black barbie, but everything to do with the selection which is why Matell faught so hard to put the kabosh on Bratz in 2008. Please people, everything is NOT about race. The Black barbie no longer appeal to little black girls, because there's something much better in the marketplace they can identify with.
Law.com - Orrick Comes to MGA's Rescue in Bratz Doll Fight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,481,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
Less demand, indicative of the impact of racism on young black females. Nothing broke my heart more than the study that showed that many young black girls chose white dolls because they had been taught to believe that whiteness was more attractive.
Who is teaching blk girls that?????
What study did this come from?
Where did this information come from?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,481,205 times
What is funny is blacks do not supprot blacks....
They want this type of toy yet they dont buy it.
Black themed sitcoms dont last long. Why is that?
Cosby was a exception. But his show was about a family not a black family not a white family but just a family....

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,245,330 times
racists will see this as racists, Non racists will see it as business

Old 03-11-2010, 10:08 AM

13,683 posts, read 20,832,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I hope no one forgot that America still has a racial/ethnic hierarchy system.

Which now extends to dolls.

Black Barbie is subsidized while White Barbie has to make it on her own.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,157,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Walmart is raising eyebrows after cutting the price of a black Barbie doll to nearly half of that of the doll's white counterpart at one store and possibly others.

Walmart: Black Barbie Sold Cheaper Than White Barbie at Store - ABC News
LMAO!

And this is an issue?

What a mindless load of crap.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM

150 posts, read 87,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Who is teaching blk girls that?????
What study did this come from?
Where did this information come from?
How are you asking this when I posted links and the name of the experiments multiple times?

By the way, Cosby show wasn't about a black family? What about the Cosby show spin-off, A Different World, where they went to an all-black college (6 seasons)? What about the Fresh Prince of Bel Air (6 seasons)? What about Family Matters (9 seasons)? What about Tyler Perry's shows, which despite being terrible, are hugely successful? Please don't make blanket statements that aren't even true, especially when they are barely related to the issue at hand.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:07 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,402,026 times
Poster is way to filled with the global conspiracy of the white man to subjugate and enslave the black.

Simple fact of the matter is kids will be kids of any race. People have made careers trying to figure out why kids do what they do and they still don't know.

Andy Rooney said it very well some 30 years ago. There is no such thing as stupid kids, only stupid parents and, I add, other stupid adults who guide them.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 AM

150 posts, read 87,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Poster is way to filled with the global conspiracy of the white man to subjugate and enslave the black.

Simple fact of the matter is kids will be kids of any race. People have made careers trying to figure out why kids do what they do and they still don't know.

Andy Rooney said it very well some 30 years ago. There is no such thing as stupid kids, only stupid parents and, I add, other stupid adults who guide them.

The original post is not a big deal to me. However, your answer to several studies which reveal that many black children prefer white dolls to black dolls is just that kids will be kids? I find that simplistic and intellectually dishonest.

If you were thinking critically, you would realize I'm not talking about a "global conspiracy," I'm pointing out that the effects of racism have psychological influence that influences even the minds of the young, and even today.

I cite sources by psychologists who influenced the Supreme Court in one of the most important cases in modern history, and you just say that "nobody knows what kids do," without citing anything.

edit: Just to add, where does that stuff about "stupid kids" come in? If anything, what I'm saying is that children are fast learners. If they are teased about their race (kids will be kids, you know) or see that blacks are treated differently than whites, they will pick up on it.

Of course, when I mentioned my step-sister, a child who was harassed about her racial attributes, you just said "boo-hoo". Now you try to blow up my argument by presenting me as a conspiracy theorist because I mention that racism influences the minds of the young. Are you going to try to bring in Oprah again to disprove me again, too?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,402,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post

The original post is not a big deal to me. However, your answer to several studies which reveal that many black children prefer white dolls to black dolls is just that kids will be kids? I find that simplistic and intellectually dishonest.

If you were thinking critically, you would realize I'm not talking about a "global conspiracy," I'm pointing out that the effects of racism have psychological influence that influences even the minds of the young, and even today.

I cite sources by psychologists who influenced the Supreme Court in one of the most important cases in modern history, and you just say that "nobody knows what kids do," without citing anything.
I believe I used the word "simple", yes.

After you become a parent, young lady, you'll see what I mean. Until then, you're just groping in the dark looking for something that's not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies