Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 AM

150 posts, read 87,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
Found this on the school district's website. Seems they don't follow their own discrimination policy.

Itawamba County School District

On top of that, they've removed the name and contact info for the person the policy says to contact. No surprise there. A bunch of redneck teabagging wingnuts, no doubt.
Sexual orientation is not included on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think that both girls could have found male dates, and then switched partners at the prom (if there's two gay girls, must be at least two gay guys in their class too).

Instead of making a big deal out of it getting the news involved.

Just more pro-homo-propaganda going around because of it.
Or they could have been honest like they were. What are we trying to teach our children, if not honestly dealing with the rest of the world?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
As long as you stay in those areas. I'm in NE Cobb, definitely NOT gay friendly.
They must have signs on the streets that say "No Gays Allowed" or how would you even know that???????

Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM

150 posts, read 87,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
They must have signs on the streets that say "No Gays Allowed" or how would you even know that???????
Maybe because a high number of people in the area express hostile attitudes towards gays?

If you live in an area for any lengthy period of time and require street signs to figure out the political inclinations and biases of the people around you, you probably can't read a street sign anyways.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
Sexual orientation is not included on that list.
But sex is and weren't they hut over who was having sex with whom? That is one way to read what it said

Old 03-12-2010, 11:23 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I feel sorry for the girls. I hope they find someplace to live that does not care about who they love.
They are already have a place...it's called the privacy of their home.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:30 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Prom canceled over lesbian student – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Update they are sueing to get the prom back on

Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Actually, the name is apt. The lengths of sophistry you have to go to demonstrates it pretty well. The Taliban insists that their Holy Book lays down the rules that everybody - not just the Talib, but every human being - are morally obliged to live by. And they enforce these rules with the means at their disposal. Your crowd?

Bzzzzt! Wrong, try again. If a homosexual organization had tried to stop heteorsexuals from having a dance, you might have had basis to establish a moral equivalence. That's not happening. A homosexual couple is simply asking for equal rights. Not special, just equal. And those who worship (by) their personal Holy Book are disturbed that it may be outside their comfort zone.

Most Christians do not deserve the moniker. But those who insist that everybody should live by the rules of their religion - they sure do.

One side - the gay couple - is simply asking to be tolerated. The other side has decided to deny that. And to hammer it home through a display of such power as they have.

The petty mindset of the Christian fundamentalist distilled to its base component: "You're different, we won't abide that, and while we can't change you, we can sure make your life less pleasant."

You'll lose this fight. Just as your Christian Fundamentalist brethren lost the fight against interracial marriage. Or desegregation. Or evolution.
If you say it is OK to have this gay couple at the prom you are laying a moral ground that you stand for.
If you say you do not want this couple at the prom then you lay a morale groundwork. So to say one side is a the taliban for following their moral compass then so must the other side
So no matter what you lay down your own morale groundwork
If the school district says there will be no prom that is their right. It did not just end the prom for the gay couple but for everyone

Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
It did not just end the prom for the gay couple but for everyone

And they did that because...?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Exclamation I'll Repeat What I Said In An Earlier Post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
They are already have a place...it's called the privacy of their home.
In a somewhat annotated version (the full post is numbered 145)...

Once again, these girls, and a lot of others like them, are citizens of this country...they are asking NOT to be made SPECIAL, but EQUAL...and I don't have any sort of problem with that...

What I DO have a problem of sorts with, is your line about 'the privacy of their home'...how I read this is, you are aligning yourself with those that, as I stated in my post, are trying to sit on some high horse and tell somebody else how to live and who/how to love...

EHHHHHHHT!! Wrong answer...unless you are Almighty God posting on City-Data in some earthly form, then you don't have the right to tell others how to live their lives, no matter how much they make you want to threaten to take your ball and go home, because 'they ain't playin' fair'...sorry for your luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies