Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times

Advertisements

Well some kids may not want to tell their mother since they have told her they are not sexually active and the mother thinks they are not lying to her. Duh. Teens keep less important secrets from their parents. Does that make them bad parents or just parents who have teenagers?

I wonder how many other girls have had secret abortions and the parents still do not know. Usually the secrets of our life do eventually come out, one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,022,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well some kids may not want to tell their mother since they have told her they are not sexually active and the mother thinks they are not lying to her. Duh. Teens keep less important secrets from their parents. Does that make them bad parents or just parents who have teenagers?

I wonder how many other girls have had secret abortions and the parents still do not know. Usually the secrets of our life do eventually come out, one way or another.
You missed the point.

Open communication between parent and child prevents things like this. If you have parents who are sticks and demand that you be an absolute angel at all times who does no wrong and walks on water, it just lends itself to more likelihood that the child will stray. In this case, the mother should be disappointed in herself for not having an open line of communication with the child. She has herself to blame for the child apparently not feeling comfortable enough to bring it to the mother's attention.

My opinion and I stick to it.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:37 PM

Teens are irrational and not mature enough to decide a lot of things. A mother knows this, the impartial school doesn't care much about it.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:41 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Teens are irrational and not mature enough to decide a lot of things. A mother knows this, the impartial school doesn't care much about it.
Also, a mother would know of any current or past health problems her daughter may have and not have bothered to tell the abortion doctor.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Also, a mother would know of any current or past health problems her daughter may have and not have bothered to tell the abortion doctor.
Excellent point.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
I've never gone in with someone for an abortion so I'm asking this question. If you go in for an abortion, does the clinic ask the patient to sign waivers or other documents stating that what they've filled out in the questionare is true? Isn't these legal documents? isn't it against the law or voids the documents if a minor signs such documents without the approval or knowledge of the parent or guardian?

Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You missed the point.

Open communication between parent and child prevents things like this. If you have parents who are sticks and demand that you be an absolute angel at all times who does no wrong and walks on water, it just lends itself to more likelihood that the child will stray. In this case, the mother should be disappointed in herself for not having an open line of communication with the child. She has herself to blame for the child apparently not feeling comfortable enough to bring it to the mother's attention.

My opinion and I stick to it.
How many teenage girls have you raised? Or boys, for that matter?

Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've never gone in with someone for an abortion so I'm asking this question. If you go in for an abortion, does the clinic ask the patient to sign waivers or other documents stating that what they've filled out in the questionare is true? Isn't these legal documents? isn't it against the law or voids the documents if a minor signs such documents without the approval or knowledge of the parent or guardian?
The legality of getting an abortion without parents' consent varies from state to state. If it's legal, which it apparently is in Washington, it's legal.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:52 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,022,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How many teenage girls have you raised? Or boys, for that matter?
Your question is moot. Everyone's been a child at one point which makes them quite capable of speaking about open communication with one's parents.

When I was 16, my mother had a policy about no girls in the house unsupervised, and if she or my dad were there I had to leave the door wide open. You know what I did? I invited them over when my parents were both at work. Why did I do that? Because her rule was silly. She assumed that I was out to get sex when I wasn't. In fact, I never even kissed a girl until I turned 18 - my choice, I never felt bonded to anyone until that age. It was all a game for me. The girls I invited to my house played video games and watched rap videos on BET. Besides, if I were really going to have sex with a female, what would make them think I would have sex with them in my house rather than theirs, or some hotel? Never once did she sit down with me and try to understand my feelings on the matter. Never once did she talk to me about her fears. Never once did she try to have a two-way conversation to make an educated decision about how to handle the situation; she just threw down knee-jerk rules. As a result, I did the opposite out of spite.

During one of these non-sexual visits something happened that might have caused me to die. I actually went into minor shock at one point. It wasn't the girl's fault, it was totally mine. It talked to others about it and what I should do...got medical advice from a couple of people who told me that I had nothing to worry about, that it wasn't what I thought it was, and that I would heal. So I never went to the doctor and I never told my mother - who happens to work in the nursing profession. I did heal partially, but I had to tread very carefully for about a month, including some extra thick clothing. Eventually it healed all the way, but it changed me. To this day she still doesn't know.

Now, had she talked to me and tried to understand why I wanted to spend time with the opposite gender, and learned to trust me when I told her that I wasn't having sex until I was ready, it's a sure bet that I would have at least told her what happened that night and asked her for guidance. I would have felt comfortable with her advice knowing what was happening to me and the best thing for me to do. Open communication.

Trust me - I know. It sucks when you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents about something that scary because you know they'll blow a fuse and won't understand what you're going through.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
People do not need to forget not only are there physical things done to a minors body in an abortion there are mental things. Abortion denies life to the unborn and usualy carries mental scars. Pro abortionist only care about denying life, once the abortion is done they do not care about the mental damage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies