Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,934,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I think it's more accurate to say some homophobes are gay. The are some perfectly straight people that have been raised to hate gays and do so without ulterior motive. It's hardly productive to shame someone into accepting gays by using the veiled threat of simply calling them gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Then again, I don't think I have ever been greeted by someone with "Hi, my name is Steve, I have anal sex with my wife", though I have had on a number of occasions been greeted with "Hello, my name is Tom, btw I am gay" /shrug
a) I don't think all gay men have anal sex.
b) When introduced to a husband and wife do you think, "Hi, I'm Steve and I have vaginal intercourse with my wife"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Well I'm offended that you think gays ARE normal.

Gays are NOT normal. Get over it.
Neither is flying in airplanes, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,426,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey
It seems to me that ANYTHING perceived as 'gay' will be considered 'shoving it in our face'. Absolutely anything from two men holding hands to a weird play about gay Jesus. If you just go about your day and not dwell on it, it becomes less of an issue. I've never even batted an eye when I've seen two men kiss. Not a big deal. Not my issue.
Perhaps straights should commission a pamphlet to be distributed in gay communities, to define what activities are "shoving one's sexuality" in other's faces.

For example:

Going to dinner with another of the same sex = potentially gay. If you are gay, to avoid "shoving one's sexuality" in the face of the waiter, be sure to split the check, or make loud observations that "you and your business partner will put the bill on the company expense account."

Two women holding hands = potentially gay. Wear T-shirts that say "I <3 my sister ----> <----- I <3 my sister" while walking down the street so people believe that you are affectionate siblings.

Buying a house with another of the same sex = potentially gay. To make the realtor more comfortable, and to avoid shoving your sexuality in her/his face, proclaim, as above, that you and your companion are "co-investors."

Apparently, some straight people are emotionally and intellectually immature, so these and other measures are necessary until they, as a group, grow up and stop acting like middle schoolers.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,755,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I think that picture turned Silas on..
I wouldn't say that. But I'm sure he expected this to be extremely controversial to the point that it would generate plenty of discussion. This thread has 120 posts over two days (I'm only on the third post) so I kind of think he was right about that.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The irony in your post is amazing!
I saw no irony in JerZ's post. I did, however see a lot of truth. The title of this thread is quite offensive. My gay and lesbian friends ARE 'normal folk'.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
would be nice if they left "it" in the bedroom, rather than what they are doing to us normal people. It really is detestable
Who is doing what to you? Is someone forcing you to go see this play? Are they forcing you to watch as they have sex? This normal person has never been subjected to anything like that and I really don't think you have either. What, exactly, are gays and lesbians doing to you?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Then again, I don't think I have ever been greeted by someone with "Hi, my name is Steve, I have anal sex with my wife", though I have had on a number of occasions been greeted with "Hello, my name is Tom, btw I am gay" /shrug
And this 59 year old has never been greeted by anyone whose first statement is about their sex life or sexual orientation. Once again, I think you are either lying or stretching the truth to make yourself look 'better'.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Are straight people on here really not getting enough sexual pleasure in their lives from the opposite sex that they have to constantly focus on what gay people do?

Yes, it seems that way.
Do me a favor and don't dump all of us straight people in the same boat. We don't all think like Silas, just as all gays don't necessarily think like you.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Well I'm offended that you think gays ARE normal.

Gays are NOT normal. Get over it.
In what way do you consider gays 'abnormal'?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So what's it like living in 1955?
Quote:
better than 2010
Having been alive since 1950, I'm here to tell you that 2010 is waaaaay better than 1955, in too many ways to list.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
No I have no idea what act nor am interested in it, but the definition of homosexuality is sexual preference. So to make it a statement is to declare ones sexual preference.
I would disagree with the highlighted - it's not 'sexual preference'; it's sexual orientation. And I believe that's also the way the APA defines it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies