Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I am opposed to a flat tax because I want to repeal the IRS.
Have a National Sales Tax
20%? 30%? 40%? On top of local and state taxes? And no deductions for family/children... anything of that sort, right? You consume, you pay. Is that right? What if I import goods from other countries or states instead of buying locally? Then, would we be talking import tariffs...? (and open a whole new can of worms)

PS. Should we also move to a percentage based sales tax on gasoline, just to keep it simple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I don't understand why people are opposed to a flat tax income system.
Oh, it's not all that hard to understand. Humans have a gift for overcomplicating everything. Why have a simple system when you can have a Rube Goldberg contraption?

The evolution of any concept humanity touches:

simplicity gradually tends toward overcomplicated chaos until if finally breaks.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:39 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would be up for that kind of accountability. Unfortunately, I don't think those in government have to worry about income as much as the populace does... as long as they can keep their corporate buddies happy and create policies for them.

And accountability is the last thing the politicians want. It is also why ideas like PayGo see opposition or not being implemented.
Did you read about the part that said giving up their personal assets? Take all of their money. Make them poppers. Including any money that came in after they left office that resulted from stuff they did in office.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
Did you read about the part that said giving up their personal assets? Take all of their money. Make them poppers. Including any money that came in after they left office that resulted from stuff they did in office.
People with reach find a way to circumvent these things. I'm all for such accountability if it can be enforced.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,271 times
Quote:
People with reach find a way to circumvent these things. I'm all for such accountability if it can be enforced.
I think that the only way to go about getting accountability is to have a new party set up from the get go to be accountable. Have the party members pay for everything. $10 a year would come real close to doing the trick. In politics loyalty follows the money. So we need a political party that does not accept bribes I mean campaign contributions from corporations. I'm looking at doing just that.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
There you go. You got those loans with a plan that you will have an income to pay for it. You didn't roll the dice on nothing, or just gut feeling, did you?

You still haven't answered how you think the government could provide for military spending without planning for it until it has the funding (next year).
By spending what they collected last year. Again, I don't think that it is right for "government" to be spending what it does not yet have. That is a "human" credit card. When I do such a deal, I am the only one held responsible. When government does it, well, they hold others responsible. Should I be able to take out a loan on your life?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
I think that the only way to go about getting accountability is to have a new party set up from the get go to be accountable. Have the party members pay for everything. $10 a year would come real close to doing the trick. In politics loyalty follows the money. So we need a political party that does not accept bribes I mean campaign contributions from corporations. I'm looking at doing just that.
Multiple parties won't solve the problem either. Ultimately, it is all about power, and third or fourth or fifth party is not going to address it, as I have noticed in some countries that have multi-party system.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
By spending what they collected last year. Again, I don't think that it is right for "government" to be spending what it does not yet have. That is a "human" credit card. When I do such a deal, I am the only one held responsible. When government does it, well, they hold others responsible. Should I be able to take out a loan on your life?
Unless you have never planned anything for the future, it would be hypocritical to be against planning with estimates at hand, as opposed to uncertainties.

If we were to rely on previous years' revenues to pay for today and not worry about tomorrow (until tomorrow), we would have the perfect recipe for trouble. When Obama presented his first budget, he would have to account to $1.3 trillion in deficit from the previous budget. Besides, if we only paid with what we have in hand, well... we've not paid off the debt since the mid 19th century. We should not spend even a dime, anywhere, including the military, until we pay off the nearly $12 trillion in debt, right?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I'm afraid there is no fair tax system, every country has tried this and that, which is why most countries have quite a tax jungle today, in which only tax counselors are quite happy

Countries are much more than just the sum of their respective peoples, they are societies, a word that already contains the word social. That implies a common fate, not a place where everybody just tries to be well of themselves and forget about the others.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Who is required for collection and transferring all tax revenue to Washington?

A national sales tax gives people a reason NOT to make purchases. They may get used to paying 20% sales tax. But believe me. People are begging for a reason to not spend money.

It would destroy retail margins.
The 45 states with sales taxes have the option of collecting the Fair Tax. States without sales
taxes have the option of initiating such an agency, contracting with another state to provide such
services, or contracting with the federal government. The 38 states with state income taxes that
use the federal 1040 as a starting point will have to amend their tax codes.

http://www.fairtax.org/PDF/TheFairTa...rTheStates.pdf

People would be taxed on everything they buy - that includes Food. Are they not going to eat

The economic growth resulting from the beneficial effects of lowering business taxes and tax compliance costs, and no withholding or income taxes, would result in consumers having substantially more money – the greatest influence on retail sales.

I am telling you - people consume more than they admit.
They're hogs I tell you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies