Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:53 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times

Advertisements

Between the airsickness, bad food (if it is even offered), cramped seats, poor customer service, endless delays and cancellations, having to remove your shoes at the security gate and who knows what other items of clothing, being felt up and degraded by a bunch of power-mad TSA agents, flying in the US has become a form of sadomasochism and torture.

But people are still largely opposed to high-speed rail? Go figure.

Top Ten Reasons Flying Sucks | CraveOnline

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne...cks_Beyond_the

TSA abuses new mother (and a cop steps in to help them) :: News From Underground

and if that wasn't bad enough,

The Stunning John F. Kennedy International Airport Baggage Scandal; 200 Thefts Per Day « CBS New York

Old 05-12-2012, 07:57 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
I love traveling by rail....definitely my favorite form of transportation. But sometimes time restraints are such that you have to suck it up and fly. Especially here in Florida. At least when I was living in the Northeast you could move around a little by rail (ie. Boston to NYC, DC).

No question, flying sucks.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Toddlers molested, treated as potential terrorists.
Did I say flying was a form of sadomasochism?

3 Year-Old Girl Accosted By TSA - YouTube

Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Between the airsickness, bad food (if it is even offered), cramped seats, poor customer service, endless delays and cancellations, having to remove your shoes at the security gate and who knows what other items of clothing, being felt up and degraded by a bunch of power-mad TSA agents, flying in the US has become a form of sadomasochism and torture.

But people are still largely opposed to high-speed rail? Go figure.

Top Ten Reasons Flying Sucks | CraveOnline

Why Flying Sucks: Beyond the TSA | The Stir

TSA abuses new mother (and a cop steps in to help them) :: News From Underground

and if that wasn't bad enough,

The Stunning John F. Kennedy International Airport Baggage Scandal; 200 Thefts Per Day « CBS New York
Maybe the results are such because not everyone shares your negative opinion of flying. And why would none of the above features of airplane travel be also part of HSR travel?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,104 times
If rail travel ever became as popular as air travel, rail travel would "suck" like air travel does now. IMHO

Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Southwest does a great job and a whole lot cheaper than a tax supported HSR.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I have used the train before... its not exactly comfortable, equally bad food (if it is even offered), cramped seats there too, poor customer service? Yup... delays? Yup... security is being ramped up for train as well... and flying is still enormously faster than train... why not drive? More comfortable seats, much better food, you are your own customer service and no security... there can be delays (traffic) and the it takes a lot longer... I don't like air travel and will drive whenever possible... I prefer Southwest airlines for travel but its a bit further away for an airport that services them...

Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
The airlines must be hurting, with people abandoning air travel due to security procedures and hassles. The problem with HSR is that there's no money to invest in it. And when you do take Amtrak, as often as not you're stuck in a car with a parent yelling at and/or beating their kid. The train is great if you can get some peace and quiet.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I love traveling by rail....definitely my favorite form of transportation. But sometimes time restraints are such that you have to suck it up and fly. Especially here in Florida. At least when I was living in the Northeast you could move around a little by rail (ie. Boston to NYC, DC).

No question, flying sucks.
The Amtrak Acela is a very nice train. The closest thing to high-speed rail in the US. And is profitable.

The regular seating on the Acela is so much roomier than any airplane I have been on. I love how they have a separate car on the train for everything. There's the dining car where you can sit at a real table and order a first rate dinner. There's a lounge car where you can sit back and relax, order a beer, wine, soda or snack and take in the views of the countryside. There's a sleeping car where you can sleep on a real bed and take a shower. The list goes on. You don't have to be in 1st class to take advantage of these amenities. Its fun to just walk around the train from car to car to discover all the cool stuff you can do instead of just sitting in one place for the whole trip like you have to do on airplanes, bored out of your mind. It's a world away from the miserable experience of flying on a domestic airliner.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
much cheaper to maintain runways than build and maintain railroad systems. the old day of trains were romantic, and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies